Author Topic: Jewish immigrants from Russia  (Read 4986 times)

Offline avidt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jewish immigrants from Russia
« on: Sunday 29 January 12 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Could someone advise where to start in tracing a Benjamin Lazarus who was born in Kobrin in the Belarus area of Russis. In the 1891 Census he is living with 2 of his brothers and the name looks like Lagares. I know that he married a lady called Fannie, butI have not found a wedding under either name , their dr Esther was born @1894, therefore they married between 189 and 1894.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

David   ;)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish immigrants from Russia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 12 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Have you viewed the 1911 census entry to see how many years they had been married.

Was Fanny also born in Russia.  Is it possible they may have married there
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline avidt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 January 12 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

They have been married 20 years, Fannie was born in Russia and in the 1891 Census Benjamin and his brother David are living with their brother Harrison & his family at 26 Bentley Street. mistranscribed as Lagores and they are liasted as being from Kobrin which is in Belarus. I have not been able to find them in the 1901 Census

Interestingly not only can I not find their marriage, but I cannot find a birth in 1894 for Esther in the Freebmd and I have tried wild card searches on both the wedding and the birth.

Kind Regards

David

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 January 12 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Brother was not Harrison - he was Aaron.  Here's the 1901 ref

RG13 Piece 289 Folio 156 Page 19

I haven't looked for the children's births but there are only 2 Benjamin Lazarus marriages in London between 1891-1901 and neither match to a Fanny. As they were in 1896 and 1898 they are also way too late.

That's why I wondered if they could have married in Russia as no birthplace is shown for Fanny on the 1901
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 January 12 23:54 GMT (UK) »
but I cannot find a birth in 1894 for Esther in the Freebmd

1901 just shows her born in London East

2 possibilities

Esther Lazarus June qtr 1894  Shoreditch 1c  82

Esther Lazarus June qtr 1895   Mile End Old Town  1c  519

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 January 12 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Re: births - skip the Shoreditch one as I think she is the 1901 entry with mother Jane living in Shoreditch and shown as b Hoxton

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 January 12 00:36 GMT (UK) »
No sign of marriage..

But this looks like David and wife Polly in 1901
1901 RG13/286/127/65
All born Russian subject, born Russia (except last two children F and A)
187 Bethnall Green Road

Davis Lazarus   age 22  - occ?? ??? maker (some kind of furniture or cabinet maker ??)
P Lazarus    age 35 wife
H Lazarus    age 15 son
A Lazarus    age 13 son
G Lazarus    age11 son
F Lazarus    age 6 daughter
A Lazarus    age 4 son
H Eleizer   age 25 visitor (Russia)

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 January 12 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Here's something worth considering..

In one census with Benjamin and Fanny there is a boarder by the name of Jacob Rosenberg (also from Russia)

Working on the theory that boarders are sometimes members of extended family I did a BMD search on Fanny Rosenberg.

And came up with these three names.... 2 women but only one man... for 1891 which is the year that Fanny and Benjamin should have married 

Sep 1891  London C.    1c   131
Brooks    Sarah          
Dancyger    Abraham          
Rosenberg    Fanny            

I had a look in 1901 to try to work out who married Abraham but came up with possibilities for both women.  I also had a look at originals for all four quarters of 1891 on the Laz... page to see if Benjamin had just been missed off the transcription but he isn't on any of the pages..

So - who is the missing male in this entry? And could it be Benjamin?

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 January 12 01:59 GMT (UK) »
I just found an Abraham Dancyger b 1867 with his family in 1891 census in Mile End (before marriage) and also in the house is Sarah Brookes b ...

She's down as daug age 20 born Leeds 1871 (but it looks like that might be a mistake as it doesn't make sense looking at other siblings and mother)

so is it likely that he did marry this Sarah?

RG12/301/03/4

Milly

UPDATE... Unless this is the one who married Fanny - on FreeBMD but you can't read the original very well..it could be 131 - and there is a Hermann Cohen with a wife Fanny in 1901. ???

Sep 1891
Cohen    Hermann        London C.    1c   1_1