Author Topic: Clintons Of Delvin  (Read 7381 times)

Offline paulbduffy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clintons Of Delvin
« on: Monday 30 January 12 19:32 GMT (UK) »
I am searcing for any details on a John Clinton possibly a tailor in Delvin about the 1850s,he married in Dublin in 1866 so I guess he was born about the mid 1840s,are birth/baptisimal records still available for that time?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Clintons Of Delvin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 January 12 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Were your Clintons RC, Church of Ireland or another denomination ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 12 19:55 GMT (UK) »
RC records for the parish of Delvin go back to the mid-1780s and are available in the National Library on microfilm Pos. 4172.

The Church of Ireland parish for the town and surrounding area is Delvin / Castletowndelvin (an alternate name for the town), go back to 1817 and are available in the Representative Church Body Library in Rathfarnham. Copies are also available on microfilm in the National Archives.

Transcripts of the RC records appear to be available of the pay-website at www.rootsireland.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline possum88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 September 12 01:04 BST (UK) »
I am helping my husband research his Clinton family from Westmeath, who by 1863 were in England. In trying to trace his line we just recently obtained a marriage certificate for John Clinton born about 1816? who was marrying in England in 1866. He gave his father's name as Patrick, a tailor.

We suspect this John Clinton, who could not sign his name, might be our line as he put West Maid, Ireland as his place of origin on census records, so to did my husband's ancestor. We worked this out eventually to be West Meath where we have found the correct baptismal record. However, it was from Taghmon not Devlin.

This John Clinton above might not be the same person you are searching but there might be a connection.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 September 12 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi 'possum',

Do you want help with your Clinton Line ?

You say that you 'suspect' this John Clinton to be your husband's ancestor - can you just clarify how you came to this conclusion as I'll see can I try and help confirm it for you !

Tara

Offline paulbduffy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 September 12 18:39 BST (UK) »
The "John Clinton"I am researching was married in Dublin in october 1864 and he was a tailor and his father,also John,address is given as Delvin.Funny though all of the children of this marraige were tailors and the last Clinton I have traced lived in Eccles Street Dublin in the 30s,also a tailor. 

Offline possum88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 September 12 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tara for your kind offer we would love any help with our Clinton line.  :)

My husband's g grandfather was Dennis Clinton baptised at Taughmon R C church on 4th Oct 1839, his father was John Clinton and his mother, Mary Daly. This couple had married in 1837 at the same place.

In 1911 census Dennis Clinton is noted as coming to England in 1863. In earlier census records his place of origin was written as West Main, Ireland and West Maid, Ireland. We worked out and confirmed with the baptismal certificate that he definitely came from Mayne, Westmeath.

John Clinton and Mary Daly had at least 5 children, possibly 6 between 1837 and 1849 but we have not been able to find/confirm any marriage or deaths for them, or for John or Mary.

However, in one census both Dennis Clinton and this John Clinton put their place of origin as West Maid, Ireland and this seemed too much of a coincidence to ignore, and since we had nothing else to go on because John Clinton had remarried we obtained the marriage certificate, which has given his date of birth as approximately 1816, and a father's name as Patrick, and occupation as Tailor. John Clinton could not sign his name nor could Dennis, and we know that doesn't prove any link between them.

Unfortunately, this is all we have to go on as there is no John Clinton born in Westmeath in 1816, the only John born was to a Bartholomew Clinton and Ellen McGovern at Coole in 1806, but so far no luck connecting him to my husband's line.

Not sure if you can help with so little information but any help much appreciated.  :)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 September 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there 'possum'

Well, you have been lucky to have gotten the records that you have !

Going pre 1864 in Ireland is super hard as you are having then to deal with church records, so you have been lucky that those for your parish still exist.

So, the Griffiths Valuation show Clintons in Mayne ie John, Patrick and Lawrence

clintons of mayne

It's possible that John that you got the marriage cert is related in some way, but how exactly at this point may be hard to prove.

If he was the father of your Dennis, due to naming patterns I would have expected Dennis to have had a brother called Patrick, but again this isn't foolproof.

I would say though to remember that Dennis and his siblings Bridget, Mary, Joseph and Rose were born in and around the time of the famine so it's possible the others didn't survive and that's why you can't find any records for them.

Dennis, doesn't apppear to have had a brother called John, so the Dublin John Clinton 'the tailor' must be related some other way.

Hum, not sure if I have been of any help here :(

Tara

Offline possum88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 00:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tara for your effort,  :)

It is quite a mystery and without actual evidence nothing can be substantiated. Also using naming patterns doesn't seem to be much help here as we know Dennis' father was named John, and would expect John's father to have been named Dennis/Denis but this is not a common Clinton name.

Anyway, will keep searching in the hope something will turn up.
'possum'