Author Topic: Looking for baptism c1845  (Read 12605 times)

Offline alwills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for baptism c1845
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 September 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
This thread came in a google search.
I am trying to trace my great-great grandfather Nathaniel Jones. He was born in Argoed Fach, Caron is clawdd, to Evan Jones and Mary Jones (nee Jones) in 1875. I believe Evan was a labourer. I am having trouble tracking both Evan and Mary through the census records. I have a couple of matches but I am not certain it is them, as some of the detail doesn't match up with the sketchy info I have been given.

Nathaniel Jones appears to have left home at a young age, I can track him up until 1885 (interestingly I can't find him anywhere in the census of 1881 or 1891). Where upon he vanishes from the records until he joins the army in London in 1892. He later joins the RAMC, marries and has 3 children with Sarah Ann Rees (who I believe to be from Llanelli). He died at the age of 24 during the Boer War.

Any pointers or information about Argoed Fach or even the Jones's would be most appreciated.
Amanda
Tregaron - Jones (1700s -  )
Llanelli (Lanelly) - Parker, Williams, Rees, Jones (1800s - )
Benson (Bensington) - Saunders, Lane (1800s)
Dorking - Drayton (late 1800s)
Lambeth - Powers (mid 1800s)

Parkhurst prison officers 1898 - 1899

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 September 15 20:23 BST (UK) »
hello
 Can you give us where you have found him ? you say you have tracked him? Need  some basic info when you deal with JONES as the surname. what info have you gained from his army records? marriage certificate info?
 sorry to ask so many questions but more info given easier to understand and may be tracked.
cheers cardiff
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline alwills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 September 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
I have got his birth, death, marriage certificates. I am presently trying to confirm where he lived before he went to London.

His war records are patchy as it is pre Boer War and his unit the Royal Medical Corps underwent numerous changes in his short tenure before his death. I have confirmed he was stationed in and around the Southampton area before going to Africa during the war.

He is shown as having attended Tregaron National School from 1878 to 1885/6 and prehaps 87 (it is not clear as he is marked as "dead" in the 87 book.
As his parents names are pretty common it has been hard to locate them.

I guess I am using what I have confirmed for him as a spring board for finding his parents.

His birth cert - 1 Aug 1875 Argoed Fach, Caron Is Clawdd. parents Evan Jones (labourer), Mary Jones (nee Jones).
His school records give them as living in Forest (1878), and Aberdur? (the writing is very hard to make out on both the 1880 and 1887 entries).

From info given to me by other family members Evan and Mary lived in The Forest, Tregaron. It was suggested he was a farmer but the records seem to disagree. (Labourer and Haulier). I was told Evan died in 1913 but can find no record of this. After Evan dies Mary remarries (a Mr Morgans, not yet confirmed) and they have one daughter, Ann Hughes nee Morgans (who lived in a cottage on a narrow street which leads to the river in Tregaron, and she died/buried in Tregaron in 1960/1)

Evan and Mary also had Margaret Ann Jones and another child who apparently died young.

The only census record which even remotely matches any of this Tregaron information is in 1891 which lists Mary as a widow and 11 year old daughter, Margaret, and 8 year old daughter Ann.

If you need more specifics do ask :)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 September 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
Do you know where Mary was born? Just that there is a Nathaniel with mother Mary (a widow) at Aberdwfr, Caron-Ys-Clawdd Aka Tregaron, Tregaron in 1881....

Mary Jones, Head, Widow, Female, 29, 1852, Coal Miners Widow, Llanddewibrefi, Cardiganshire
Nathaniel Jones, Son, Single, Male, 5, 1876, -, Cardiganshire
David Jones, Son, Single, Male, 3, 1878, -, Cardiganshire
Margaret Jones, Daughter, Single, Female, 1, 1880, -, Cardiganshire

RG11, Piece number 5452, Folio 50, Page 8

This ties in with what you've found in 1891 for Mary and Margaret.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline alwills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 September 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
No I don't know anything about Mary at all.
I don't know if that is them. The Mary with Nathaniel and Margaret track but I don't know about the third child. Obviously it doesn't track with Evan's year of death I was given, but I was starting to suspect that wasn't accurate.
I add that to info to my stack and see if anything starts to add up.
Thanks
Amanda

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 September 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hello
Ok have tracked him through his military records assume this is the correct man?
Nathaniel Jones joined army 21st April 1892 Southwark London number 2467 Royal fusiliers
Occupation given milkman living 34 Collingswood street age given 18 and 8mths born Tregaron Cardiganshire.
1891 census
 Poss. match
New north road Hoxton town parish of Shoreditch
William Thomas Head aged 18yrs b.1873 Blaenpenol Cardiganshire dairyman
Mary Ellis aged 23yrs llangwyryfon Cardiganshire servant
Nathaniel Jones male aged 15years b Caron Cardiganshire milkman
 The above Nathaniel Jones only matches occupation not age has he states he is 18yrs and 8months
On his application to join army?
I checked the census and I found your baptism records of Nathaniel it states baptised October 27th 1875 so that does match age for the milkman in 1891.
 You may already know all this but I am working blind!

All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 September 15 22:07 BST (UK) »
There's a burial at Tregaron of an Evan Jones, abode Fforest, on 16 Dec 1880, aged 45 ;D
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 September 15 22:10 BST (UK) »
Baptism at Tregaron on 27 Oct 1875, Nathaniel, son of Evan and Mary Jones, of Argoed Fach, Evan a farmer.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 04 September 15 22:15 BST (UK) »
David's baptism on 29 July 1877 says Evan was a labourer, abode Argoed Fach;
Margaret's baptism on 9 Nov 1879 says Evan was a labourer, abode Aberdwfr.