Author Topic: Help,allison tree scotland  (Read 10166 times)

Offline jill1002

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help,allison tree scotland
« on: Wednesday 01 February 12 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in the Allison's that lived in Appin. Can anyone help.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help,allison tree scotland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

What info do you have so far on your Allison family in Appin. Names, dates etc. will all help people to help you further.

I have moved your post over to the Argyleshire board so you will hopefully get more relevant help.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome from me too

This seems to be the only Allison family living in Appin in 1901 - is it the right one?

All b Appin unless shown otherwise

North Ardnaclach

Mary Allison 69  farmer
John   47
Sarah 37
Maggie   29
Allison Mcintyre 5 g/dtr
Ann Buntain 71 sister
John Mccoll 18 
Donald Mcneill 19 servant b Inverness  South Uist
Peter Drummond 68 boarder

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jill1002

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 February 12 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I have a William Allison (1812 - 1880) married to Agnes Millar (1819 -) and 10 children.
They live in Appin, Argyll.
Margaret (1855) and Thomas (1862) came to South Africa. What happened to the other children?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 February 12 16:32 GMT (UK) »
What were the names/birthyears of all the other children?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 February 12 16:36 GMT (UK) »
There is no 1851 entry with an Allison family living in Appin

There is a William Alison (only one L) b 1814 Richman, Renfrewshire with a  wife Agnes b 1820 Ayrshire who are living in Ardchattan Argyll

Can you please post full details of what you have on this family to enable us to help you

Offline jill1002

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 February 12 16:44 GMT (UK) »
The other Allison children are:
William (1847 -)
Elizabeth (1849)
James (1851)
Matthew (1854)
Walter (1858)
Robert (1860)
Hugh (1866)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 February 12 16:54 GMT (UK) »
I have a William Allison (1812 - 1880) married to Agnes Millar (1819 -) and 10 children

1861 for Appin indexed as Alleson and William born 1824 - not 1812

Ardnaclach Road Upper Ardnaclach Farm - children from janet onwards b Appin

William Allison 37 b Paisley Renfrew
Agnes   41 b Dalry Renfrew
Mary   19 b Inchinan, Renfrew
Janet   17
William   15
James 11
Elizabeth   13
John   9
Margaret   7
Mathew   5
Walter   3
Robert   1
James Macphail 22 servant b Appin
Appin ED 1 Page 7 Line 4

Offline vmarnoch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 February 14 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill
We can help with the Allison family from Appin. William and Agnes Allison ( nee Millar ) were living at Ardnachlach, Appin son after 1841 and Agnes was still there in 1881. There were 12 children I think.
Mary, Janet, William,Elizabeth, Margaret, John, James, Matthew? , Robert, Walter, Thomas and Hugh.
Thomas was born on 15 Feb 1862 and was age 19 at Ardnachlach in 1881 census. He must have left soon after that and moved to South Africa ( as stated in your forum ). He married Eleanor Kate Judson ( born 1886 ) , daughter of William Henry Judson and Margaret Horsley. Eleanor Kate was born in Barberton, South Africa and we are not sure when her parents arrived in South Africa or where they came from in fact!
Thomas and Eleanor Kate settled outside Harrismith , Orange Free State, South Africa where they had two farms, one named Appin and the other Oban, clearly marking his roots. They had 6 children, 5 daughters and 1 son.
Agnes Margaret Allison, Florence Lilian Allison (3.10.1910) Jean Olive Allison (30 .11. 1911) Donald Stewart Allison ( 1915) Isobel Judson Allison and Mavis Kate Allison. Thomas died in Harrismith in 1925.
Jean Olive Allison was my husband's mother. She married John Haldane Marnoch whose family moved to South Africa from Tarves, Aberdeenshire about 1916. Jean and her siblings produced 12 children in total , 7 males and 5 females. These 12 children have produced 26 more, 15 males and 11 females and now we are on to the next generation. Most of us are still living in South Africa. We personally reside about 15 kms outside Durban, on the east coast of Kwa Zulu Natal.
Your forum states that Margaret Allison ( 1854 ), sister of Thomas also moved to South Africa. We were not aware of this and would love some details please.
Through Ancestry.com I have very recently picked up a few facts about his brothers William, Walter and Hugh who all went farming at Grant, Huron, Michigan and all three seemed to remain bachelors . Walter died in September 1910 from carcinoma of the chin and lip. In 1920 Hugh was age 53 and his oldest brother William ( 72 ) was staying with him. We have found reference to William Allison of Michigan in some of Thomas's papers. I have also found a marriage reference for John Allison age 38 in Perth, Ontario to Kate Martin of Dumfries. I have seen that a Mr Brian Allison has contacted you through the Appin historical society and he has confirmed this marriage. I have sent him an email and we are hoping he will contact us.
Vicki and Clive Marnoch