Author Topic: Belton family (Cleator Moor & Whitehaven)  (Read 29031 times)

Offline Andybru

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Belton family (Cleator Moor & Whitehaven)
« Reply #36 on: Monday 21 January 13 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Regarding John Belton who died in South Africa in 1902

His wife was Annie Belton (nee Malloy)

She then married William Eilbeck (my great grandfather).

In the boat passenger records you will see that William Eilbeck and John Belton went tout to South Africa together.

Does anyone know anything about Annie Belton (nee Molloy) who then became Annie Eilbeck?

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• I am sorry but I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 21 January 13 21:36 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of Malloys and Eilbecks in the Cleator Moor area. Also, many from the mining families of Cleator Moor & district went out to South Africa for work. Sometimes Malloy is spelt Mulloy.

Checking the Cleator Moor 'Roll of Honour' (and also on the St Mary's, Cleator memorial) I see one of the WW1 casualties was:
Pte. John Malloy, 27 / 1129 (Tyneside Irish Brigade).
Died: 15 July 1916
Buried: Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, France (Grave VIII.D.120)

Pte. Malloy's parents were:
John and May Malloy,
28 Duke Street, Cleator Moor.

Do you know if these Malloys were relatives of Annie's? 

At the outbreak of the 1914 - 1918 war many of the Cleator Moor volunteers enlisted to the Tyneside Irish Brigade (Northumberland Fusiliers). In 1914 Cleator Moor was part of the Catholic Diocese of Hexham & Newcastle and there was a significant number of 1st or 2nd generation 'Irish' immigrants in the town. Thus the recruiting committee for the Tyneside Irish held a recruitment meeting at Cleator Moor, as well as other West Cumbrian towns.

Offline lottu

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Annie Belton was the daughter of Mary Magee and John Malloy. Her siblings were Margaret, Mary,
Michael, Peter and Patrick.

She married John Belton and had three children - Mary, John and Margaret.

John Belton saw service in the Boer War and died in 1902. She later married William Eilbeck and had three more children - T. Eilbeck, Josephine Mabel Eilbeck and William Bateman Eilbeck.

William Eilbeck also saw service in the Boer War in the Kimberley Horse - rank of Cpl 1259.

Annie Eilbeck and her children were in Newcastle for a few years  and then went back to South Africa. What happened to her or her husband William I don't know.

Offline mary26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 24 November 14 14:29 GMT (UK) »
to Jos    have only just found your reply sent months ago. thank you so much.  I have been to Cleator and seen my family's grave just as you photographed.  I also found my Grandfather (Andrew Belton) birth certificate in the local archives.  What I am trying to do now is find where he is buried. He died in South Africa in 1970 but I do not know where.  My mother (his daughter Irene) died last year. she hardly told me anything about her father as they were estranged which I don't think was his fault.
It has taken me an age to work out how to use this site so I don't know if this will reach you1
Mary Clarke

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• I am sorry but I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 20:40 GMT (UK) »
to Jos    have only just found your reply sent months ago. thank you so much.  I have been to Cleator and seen my family's grave just as you photographed.  I also found my Grandfather (Andrew Belton) birth certificate in the local archives.  What I am trying to do now is find where he is buried. He died in South Africa in 1970 but I do not know where.  My mother (his daughter Irene) died last year. she hardly told me anything about her father as they were estranged which I don't think was his fault.
It has taken me an age to work out how to use this site so I don't know if this will reach you1
Mary Clarke

Hello Mary,

Firstly, please accept my (belated) condolences regarding the death of your mother.

Unfortunately I do not know where your grandfather (and step-grandmother Kathleen, who was the niece of Father Clayton). However, the date and place of your grandfather's death have been added to his baptism record details in the parish register of St Mary's, Cleator (i.e. 2 September 1970 at Cape Town, South Africa). Assuming the information regarding the date and place of death are correct they may provide a gateway to finding the information you seek.

There is a 'South Africa' section on this forum ('Roots Chat') so you could perhaps post a request there asking if someone living in the Cape Town area of South Africa might be able to look up the information in the local records on your behalf. There may have been an obituary in one of the national newspapers at the time of his death and if so this may state where any funeral service / committal took place.

I will also send you a P.M.

Hope you enjoyed looking around Cleator, Cleator Moor and Whitehaven.   

Offline casmat

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, Kaid Andrew Belton's medals are up for auction on the 19th May 2018. Please notify his relatives

Offline ToonOfLancing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 20 December 20 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
I'm in the process of writing a biography of Andrew Belton; he was much more than just 'a mercenary' as I spotted in one of the comments here  :)
In my research I have uncovered answers to many of the questions posed on this subject and also have some questions you may be able to help me with.  Since I am not a family member, I thought it might be polite if I asked if anyone minded me joining in here.
Regards
Howard Toon (ex Cleator b1945)

Offline ToonOfLancing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 20 December 20 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Here's an example:

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 20 December 20 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have just checked on the originator of the topic Jos, Whitehaven I can see that although they were online in the summer they have now turned off all notifications on all their RootsChat topics.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk