Author Topic: Marshalls' of Grimsby, Lincolnshire  (Read 12214 times)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marshalls' of Grimsby, Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 February 12 14:39 GMT (UK) »
So Samuel Marshall has died sometime between 1918 and 1930, and looking at BMD for Grimsby, there is no record there. How do you know he was working aboard the HMT Ampulla in 1918?

Why were the children put into care with Dr. Barnados, if father and mother were still alive? Had Samuel deserted them, or had the marriage foundered, there is no record of divorce at National Archives.

There is local history section of Grimsby Central Library, have you tried to contact them at all? They do have access to the Grimsby Telegraph & Grimsby News, both local newspapers, unfortunately not indexed.

BTW I understand the connection with the Sutherland's as witnesses to Samuel's wedding now:

St. Andrew's Grimsby   29/08/1897   SUTHERLAND   JOHN MCKENZIE   24      cooper   21 Holme St   GEORGE   cooper   MARSHALL   MARY ANN HARRIET   20      --   same address   JOHN   labourer   J. W. COULTHARD   ELIZA LOVEDAY

As you probably know anyway, Samuel's sister's marriage, from same address.

Tom

Offline asmarshall3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Wading through the stories...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 February 12 05:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Tom, for your info. I didn't have any details for Lucy's marriage -  i knew it happened but no data!!

I have some information that has been handed down through the family (rough attempt at tree) and I have received the admission documentation from Barnardo's (bless their record keeping!!) this is where i found out that Samuel was on the HMT Ampulla during 1918 and also why the boys were put into care. bit if a family scandal - but the mother (Mary alderson middleton) had been having an affair with a soldier whilst Samuel was away at sea. It turned out that the three youngest children were from the soldier  - not Samuel! So, Samuel put the three boys that were his into the care of Barnardo's "for the duration of the war" and his daughters were to live with female relatives. Then the two younger boys (Leonard and William) that were in care didn't hear from their father again and were sent to Australia as "apprentices".
It's all a bit sad, really.

My husbands own father passed away quite young 7 years ago, with no-one in the family knowing anything about Samuel. None of Samuel's grandchildren (my husbands aunts and uncles) know what happened to him. I am hoping to be able to fill that gap for them all (they are all in their 60's and 70's now)

thanks for the tip with Grimsby Central library - it is really difficult doing all of this from a laptop in Sydney!! I will attempt to email them. i have done all the relevant checks through war deaths, casualties etc but to know avail.

thank you for taking the time to look for me - it really is appreciated.

thanks again,

Sarah  ;D
Marshalls' of Grimsby, Lincolnshire; Trotters of Scotland, Dudleys' of Everywhere and Glassock's/ Scott-Glassocks of United Kingdom!!

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 February 12 23:15 GMT (UK) »
That's some family history, maybe this website might help

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/grimsby.trawlers/

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 14:48 GMT (UK) »
You might want to rule out a death at sea. There is some guidance here:
http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Births,_Marriages_and_Deaths_at_Sea
and here:

http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UKDeathsAtSea.html

I know someone who  found a fisherman who died in 1928 on the GRO miscellaneous index, for a relative, and then she had to write off for the details, and received quite a few copies of documents from what was The Board of Trade, re the enquiry into his death at sea, including precise coordinates of where he had been lost overboard. She subsequently went out on a Norwegian ship, to lay a wreath.

Tom

Offline asmarshall3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Wading through the stories...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 05:29 GMT (UK) »
thanks again Tom, will be checking out these links you have provided. I did a check on the grimsby trawlers site under the lost at sea and Samuel is not listed under the Ampulla. I am going to keep looking but am getting frustrated with the lack of time i have to do all this (i work full time and have two young kids) but I will NOT give up!!
thanks again, and your effort on my behalf has only inspired me even more! I will let you know how i get on..

regards,

Sarah
Marshalls' of Grimsby, Lincolnshire; Trotters of Scotland, Dudleys' of Everywhere and Glassock's/ Scott-Glassocks of United Kingdom!!

Offline MichelleP36

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah, I have just begun a family tree today and was searching for information about my great grandmother Elsie Cook (Marshall) and came across your query!

I am keen to find out if you have found anymore information about Samuel.  I live in Lincoln about 40 minutes from Grimsby and would be happy to search local archives! My mum would be certainly interested in this, and would have been related to your late husbands late father.

I have always been aware of the two Barnardos boys but never knew why they were sent to Austrailia.  My mum met her 'uncle bill' (William who moved to Australia) in the 1960's.

Growing up I was very close to my great aunt, Kathleen Marshall who would take about the extensive family.  In particular her sisters Joan (who's daughter is still in touch) and Olive who tradically was hit by a cyclist and died at a young age.

My grandmother also use to talk about the link between the Aldersons of Hull, and the Sir James alderson.  I am currently trying to discover how we are associated to James but I have a feeling Mary may be the daughter or niece of James.

I would really love to hear from you,

Michelle

Offline RAMARSH45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 January 15 09:12 GMT (UK) »
I have only just found RootsChat but has anyone any knowledge of Squire Marshall running a grocers shop in the 1920's and 1930's in the vicinity of the old Lifeboat Hotel in Cleethorpes
Marshall, Cawkwell, Farrow

Offline debbiecoffey4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 January 15 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I have been researching the marshalls, mary alderson middleton had a sister called Beatrice, Beatrice had my grandmother also a mary alderson middleton, just wondering if anyone has come across Beatrice as she gave her daughter (my grandmother) to another family. Father unknown. I too live in australa. Debbie

Offline Barleymow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 January 15 13:43 GMT (UK) »
  Hi, the Burial Date for Squire Marshall age 70, is 21 July 1955 in Cleethorpes Cemetery.

Barleymow

Weatherhead..Coldstream Scotland
McClelland..Portglenone Ireland.... Woolwich,Kent
Whitehead..  Falkirk Scotland...Woolwich Kent
Norman..Germany...London
Barley ..   Grimsby...Lincolnshire
Ackley ..Loughborough..Leicestershire
Plant...Cape of Good Hope..India, Staffordshire...Woolwich.
Head...Woolwich Kent.