Author Topic: Old Rhondda boxers  (Read 11182 times)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Old Rhondda boxers
« on: Thursday 02 February 12 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I am currently researching my third Boxers of Wales book, this time featuring fighters from the Rhondda. Might I impose on the generosity of the mods and ask if anyone can help with info on any of the following?

Young Beckett (born Alcwyn Williams), Albert Colcombe, Gordon Cook, Jerry Daley, Eddie Davies (Cwmparc), Young Jim Driscoll (born George Lewis), Rufus Enoch, Billy Evans (Ystrad), Billy Fry, Eddie, Tommy and Phineas John, Ashton Jones, Harold and Ginger Jones, Sammy 'Sara' Jones, Dickie Lewis, Mog Mason (born Tommy Stanley), Billy Moore, Tom Norris, George 'Watt' Williams and Lewis Williams.

In nearly all cases I have plenty of detail regarding their boxing careers - which, of course, I am willing to share with any relatives or others interested - but I would appreciate dates of birth and death, plus any other stuff about where they lived, jobs they did and the like.
     RCers came up trumps and answered many of my queries regarding boxers profiled in my previous efforts (Vol 1, Cardiff and Vol 2, Merthyr, Aberdare and Pontypridd). I hope someone out there can help put some flesh on the bones of these old favourites and help me keep their memories alive in print.

Regards,
           Gareth

Thank you for your forbearance,
       Regards,
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Old Rhondda boxers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 12 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this Gareth http://www.prewarboxing.co.uk/myphotographs.htm                  Best Wishes Bethan
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 February 12 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bethan, I was aware of the site.
        I'm reasonably OK for pics, though I'm always open for more, particularly if they are original prints, rather than taken from newspaper cuttings - even better if they've never been published anywhere before.
       There were very few pictures of actual fights taken before the war (except for the really big names like Jimmy Wilde and Tommy Farr), so most pics available tend to look very similar, publicity shots with the boxer in fighting pose. It's nice to be able to add a bit of variety with some different shots, showing them off-duty or with their families and so on.
    Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 12 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I can actually remember my Gransha( born1894) talking about Phineas John and boxing I have a feeling that he came from Treherbert or Treorchy,my Gransh was big into boxing ,he used to have photos of Tommy Farr and Jimmy Wilde

Best Wishes Bethan
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 February 12 16:26 GMT (UK) »
I stand corrected, my husband says that he came from Maerdy and used to have a boxing gym in the Royal hotel Maerdy, you should get in touch with David Owen, he has written loads of books on Maerdy and has lots of info on the sporting history of this valley, also Alun Clements is another one with loads of info on past sportsmen, if you are not already in contact with these two message me and I will send you thier telephone numbers, David especially is a really helpfull guy

Best Wishes Bethan

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 February 12 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Actually, Bethan, Phineas and his brothers came from Gelli. I don't know about him having a gym in Maerdy. He lived in London throughout the 1930s, returning to Wales (I think) in 1946.
   He then ran a few pubs in Cardiff, incvluding the Criterion in Church Street, where I had my 21st celebrations back in the day. If only I'd asked him the sort of questions I want to ask him now  :D

Gareth

Offline Brian T3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 February 12 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Gareth, I remember Glen Moody had a pub in Pontypridd. He is probably dead by now ,
 but was wondering if any of his family may still run the pub or still live in the area.
They could possibly be of help.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 February 12 17:09 GMT (UK) »
1901 Census
Rufus C Enoch, age 4, b. Wootton, Berkshire.

By the 1911 Census this Rufus was living in Gelli Rd,Pentre.

I have found a newspaper item of April 1947 where a Rufus Enoch was stopped in the first round of a fight in Exeter. If he's the Rufus from the 1901 Census he was still fighting at the age of 50!

From the fight info you have about when did Rufus Enoch begin his boxing career)

regards

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 February 12 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Different Rufus Enoch, I'm afraid. I do actually have the DoB for the boxer - he was born at Ty Du Farm, Tonyrefail, in January 1915. The first-round defeat in 1947 was his last contest.
    Brian, I profiled Glen Moody - and brothers Frank and Jackie - in my last book, which included Ponty. I was in touch with one of the family, but I doubt she would know anything about other boxers.
  Thanks, both, for your interest.
     Gareth