Author Topic: Old Rhondda boxers  (Read 11181 times)

Offline Brian T3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Rhondda boxers
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 February 12 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Gareth, This is a piece about Frank Moody.
 An old family friend of ours , Lewis Williams, was the landlord of the Afandale Hotel, Cymmer, Port Talbot, not Porth.
He was also Frank Moody's manager. He told us the story of when he had to send Frank to the USA
to bolster his image.
 He said he was winning his fights until the last one against Tiger Flowers.
 Frank was doing very well against Tiger until in one clinch Tiger whispered in Frank's ear
that the party was over and he had to end it.
He then proceeded to give Frank the worse beating of his life.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 February 12 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian,
    Frank Moody always regarded Flowers as the best fighter he ever met and admitted that he knew Tiger had carried him in the later rounds (Flowers won on points after 10 rounds). Moody spent a long time in the US and did win more than he lost, but he lost a dozen or so out there, including being knocked out by the legendary Harry Greb.
   The Lewis Williams you refer to - do you mean Llew Williams, known as 'Bompa', who was his trainer. At the time Llew was licensee of the Ruperra Hotel in Pontypridd.
     Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brian T3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 February 12 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gareth,
 I only knew Lew from the early 40's and he was In the cymmer pub then.
 I met Frank and he was real gentleman.

Offline ants1988

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth i have just started my family tree.I have just logged on and found that you are looking for Rufus if its the right person and iam sure it. Rufus was my nans brother and they did own TY DU farm.Rufus also had 2 brothers called Tommy and Percy they were both flyweight boxers in the 1930s -1946  can you help me  any more info on them and i will share anything as i may find out with you many thanks .

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 October 12 00:11 BST (UK) »
Do you have this one Gareth?                                                                    http://www.jobyculverhouse.blogspot.co.uk/
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Offline shazza_i

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 October 13 12:29 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, Ned Cop (p) was a boxer in the Rhondda. I do know some of the history of his boxing but I wondered whether there was any mention of him in Gareth Jones' book on the boxing history of the Rhondda?

Offline jamesharry1921

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 19:22 BST (UK) »
phineas john did indeed live in maerdy 103 maerdy road with his wife agnes he and agnes were invoved in the local football team the maerdy royals because the royal hotel was 3 doors from themyou want the maerdy home page and archives on facebook they will supply many answers for you. carol
rigby.scotland
herd.scotland
walkinshaw.scotland
thomas.wales
jones. wales
greaves.yorkshire
nelson.yorkshire.

Offline jennyalsop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I am the neice of the boxer and Lonsdale belt winner, Jonty Alsop. My father was uncle Jont's younger brother, Peter John Alsop. My name is Jennifer Hirst Alsop. My parents bought uncle Jont's shop when he moved to Rhoose, Barry. The house we lived in prior to the shop was where my father and his siblings had all lived. This was in Ynyscynon Road, Trealaw. If you want more information, please ask.

Offline jennyalsop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gareth,  re. JONTY ALSOP the boxer.
My uncle Jont was married to auntie Phyll and they had three children ; Audrey (ballet dancer), John and Al (Derick).
John's son, Anthony, was a boxer also. He boxed in the Commonwealth games in Australia, circa 1986 - 1990's. (Harry Carpenter was the commentator when Anthony was shown on the TV boxing.)
Uncle Jont lived in Ynyscynon Road , Trealaw. His sibblings were my uncle Jim, auntie Mill, auntie Ede and the youngest of them was Peter, my father.
My grandfather, dad & Jont's father, lived with his wife, Charlotte, in our house in Ynyscynon Road.They raised their family there. Being the youngest, my father lived there when all the siblings had left home. He lived with his father, Jack Alsop, until he married my mother, Ceinwen Hirst, who came to live there too. Uncle Jont had a shop in Tonypandy, and one in Llwynypia (which my parents later bought from him). This will be why he boxed out of Trealaw at first, then Llwynypia or Tonypandy later.