Author Topic: Hollinshed Family of Orford  (Read 7307 times)

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hollinshed Family of Orford
« on: Thursday 02 February 12 13:14 GMT (UK) »
The Hollinsheds lived in Orford during much of the XVII century and the early XVIII c.  Yet they originated from Staffordshire (Hollinshed/Hollingshead/Hollingshed etc.). At least one branch of the family espoused the royalist cause in the Civil War and lost most of his property when Charles I lost his head.  On the Restoration a position was awarded of Governor of Landguard Fort in Suffolk. The Governor adopted a son, William, who in turn had a son John.

Is there a family member out there who has any idea of when they moved, and any first  names or dates?

It is believed the Suffolk branch of the Hollinsheds became extinct after the marriage of Margaret, 3rd child of John Hollinshed Esq., to a Charles Brady of Orford.
HOLLINSHED, BRADY of Orford, Suffolk, Essex, Woolley, Stockport & London; THURSTON, SYER, CRABBE, ALLDIS, RIPPER, BATTALAY, BATELL. CHANDLER of Suffolk; PARR, &LAKE & LONG, Essex; WIKE, of Bury, London & Canterbury; OPENSHAW, ORMEROD of Bury, Lancs; BROTHERSON of St. Croix; MANGNALL & CUNLIFFE of Stockport; BEECH of Broughton; BARNETT, INGRAM of Lincs & Cambs; BRODIE/BRADY  North East Scotland; PAGE, GRAY, McKENZIE, McDOWELL, HOLT & MARTIN N.Ireland

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hollinshed Family of Orford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 12 13:26 GMT (UK) »
These are from the Suffolk Burial Index looks like they arrived pre 1731

All HOLLINSHEAD, all buried Orford, St Bartholomew

Daniel 27 Sep 1814 (38)
Elizabeth 22 Jan 1769
John 10 May 1754 (Mr, port man)
Margarett 15 Jul 1731 (wd of William)
Mary 3 Jul 1826 (74)
William 1 Aug 1731 (wdr)

regards
Keziah

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 February 12 13:28 GMT (UK) »
From Boyds marriage index.

Jn Holingshed
Elz Battle
Woodbridge

Thomas Goodwin
Fran. Hollinshed
Orford

Charles Brady
Marg Hollinshed
Orford

Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 12 13:36 GMT (UK) »
NROCAT - norfolk records office online catalogue has details of an Administration Bond (no 62) of a John HOLLINSHEAD of Orford dated1754.

The free search engine for Parish Marriages on findmypast details several Hollinshead marriages in Suffolk in the 1700's.

Offline SG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 12 11:39 BST (UK) »
I am descended from John Hollinshed but am having difficulty in proving earlier connections. John's gt grandson, William Hollinshed Brady wrote "A history of Orford in the C18" in about 1815 and his original hand written copy is in the Ipswich Record Office. Fortunately there is a typewritten transcription! The second half of his document gives a lot of detail on the Hollinsheds and Bradys. However I suspect that some of it comes from family traditions because some of the dates he gives do not match with those in the Parish Records.

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 12 13:15 BST (UK) »
I am grateful to the contributions posted by Keziah2, Suffolk Sue and SG.

It was my brother and I who put the manuscript by William Hollinshed Brady into the safe keeping of the Suffolk Records Office. I did not know a typewritten transcript had been made, otherwise I would not have started to print one myself! Is it available without going there, does anyone know, please? (I live many miles away in Devon).

Some differences in dates I have noticed: William Hollinshed died 1731 in m/s, c.f. 1730 in Index. Frances Hollinshed married 1755 in m/s to the reverend gentleman who treated her so badly, c.f. 1764 in Boyd’s. Anything else, S.G.? If so, I would be very interested to know (off-list if you would prefer).

There is something quite puzzling.  There was issue of four from the marriage of John Hollinshed and Elizabeth according to WHB’s manuscript: Frances, b1723, then another Elizabeth, unmarried, then Margaret who married Charles Brady and a John, about whom not much is known except that he was illegitimate and was supposed to have had no issue. This was meant to have been the end of the male line for the Hollinsheds. Yet Keziah2 reveals from the SBI that  there were Daniel d.27 Sep 1814 and so born 1776, and Mary d.3 Jul 1826 and so born 1752, so where did these come from?  Either the bastard John had issue that no-one wanted to talk about, or there was another line parallel to that of the William Hollinshed who died in 1730/31.

Again, your line, S.G., if you know you are descended from John who married Elizabeth, must according to our manuscript have come through Frances through her union with Parson Goodwin, or through the Brady line or through the mysterious young, illegitimate  John.  Again, I would be very interested to know.

Thanks to everyone for their interest.
HOLLINSHED, BRADY of Orford, Suffolk, Essex, Woolley, Stockport & London; THURSTON, SYER, CRABBE, ALLDIS, RIPPER, BATTALAY, BATELL. CHANDLER of Suffolk; PARR, &LAKE & LONG, Essex; WIKE, of Bury, London & Canterbury; OPENSHAW, ORMEROD of Bury, Lancs; BROTHERSON of St. Croix; MANGNALL & CUNLIFFE of Stockport; BEECH of Broughton; BARNETT, INGRAM of Lincs & Cambs; BRODIE/BRADY  North East Scotland; PAGE, GRAY, McKENZIE, McDOWELL, HOLT & MARTIN N.Ireland

Offline SG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 August 12 14:22 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Louisa, the youngest sister of the William Hollinshed Brady who wrote the document. I live on the Essex/Suffolk border and so have gone to the Ipswich Records Office and Orford and have quite a bit of extra information. I also have photos of paintings of some of the early Hollinsheds.

I registered for this site so that I could reply to your question and so don't know the form! I agree that it would be much simpler if we could exchange information off list but how does one go about that?

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 August 12 14:37 BST (UK) »
SG, you need to make one more post on this thread and then you will have the option of sending BradyCMH a personal message (PM) which will be for his eyes only.

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 August 12 15:14 BST (UK) »
So, that would be Louisa who was born in Butley 17/09/1800, died Fringringhoe 20.09/1890, married William Croyen of West Mersea who had 3 children the eldest of which was Louisa Elizabeth, who left issue( the others didn’t)?

But surely, Louisa was not the youngest? What about Ann, born Butley 1804, died Fringringhoe 189?, unmarried?

You might also have some useful input to the string “Brady of Fen Ditton” that was discussed here at some length a few weeks ago.