Author Topic: Hollinshed Family of Orford  (Read 7348 times)

Offline SG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hollinshed Family of Orford
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 August 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
Quite right, Louisa Elizabeth was my gt grandmother. You are also correct that Ann was younger, I hadn't scrolled down the list far enough! My fault.

Offline SG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 August 12 17:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annes. I thought that there had to be a way!

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Brady Family of Orford
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi there all,

I have found this old post and please wondered what is written in that text about the Brady family of Orford?

I am descended from a Sarah Brady (b. c1755/6) who married Thoams Grimwood in Orford in 1781.

I am trying to find out more about her family.

I have a post on this in rootschat below and believe she was the daughter of John Brady and Sarah Murdock who married in 1756.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=759925

Any help on this family would be gratefully received.

Thank you,
Jon

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Jon,

According to our family record, I believe your connection is likely to be to another line of the family.  The record is that Charles Brady (d.1767) had a cousin who set up in the neighbourhood farming at Iken Hall, whose name was Robert , b.1671, and who married a "Widow Easthaugh".  I have no record of Robert's descendants (nor predecessors unfortunately). The cousins, successors and their families kept well in touch with each other, and so it comes as no surprise that you have a Sarah, as well as I. However, mine married a mariner called Thomas Cooper in 1770.  There was no other Sarah down this line previously. My Sarah was a child of Thomas Brady (son of the abovesaid Charles) and his wife Bathsheba, m.1746, who is recorded in our documents as having a maiden name Syer.  However, I have noticed this name Syred when trying to find connections, and a Brady and Mayor Syred went up to London together to petition parliament, so it wouldn't surprise me if our record is wrong here - perhaps misread, or a typo..sorry quillo!   

There were lots of Orford related Bradys during the XVIII century of whom I know nothing, and it would be great to be able to follow that line down, but I haven't got around to it yet. What you have discovered might well help. 

I'm still trying to find where Charles and Robert came from! It's reputed to be from Scotland but I haven't found any hard evidence, and I note there were quite a few Bradys around in Orford in the XVII century, though details of their relations are obscure.

Regards,

Mike Brady
HOLLINSHED, BRADY of Orford, Suffolk, Essex, Woolley, Stockport & London; THURSTON, SYER, CRABBE, ALLDIS, RIPPER, BATTALAY, BATELL. CHANDLER of Suffolk; PARR, &LAKE & LONG, Essex; WIKE, of Bury, London & Canterbury; OPENSHAW, ORMEROD of Bury, Lancs; BROTHERSON of St. Croix; MANGNALL & CUNLIFFE of Stockport; BEECH of Broughton; BARNETT, INGRAM of Lincs & Cambs; BRODIE/BRADY  North East Scotland; PAGE, GRAY, McKENZIE, McDOWELL, HOLT & MARTIN N.Ireland

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the reply, Mike. Your post was really interesting as as it seems given the locations that the families were from different branches.

My John's first wife appears to have been Anne Syred who he married in Orford in 1751. So maybe the lines linked here too.

Have you ever seen the parish registers of Eyke/Ike I wonder?

I had seen that a Thomas Brady in parliamentary records so this is the guy you must mean.

I also saw two wills of Bradys in Orford, a John Brady in 1705 and a Margaret Brady in 1792. Do you know who these people are at all?

https://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/collections/getrecord/GB173_IC_AA1_135_10
https://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/collections/getrecord/GB173_IC_AA1_212_61

I saw some of the Orford Bradys also ended up in Colchester:

http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/gravedetails.php?grave=237462&scrwidth=1200Caroline

I hit a brick will with Sarah years ago so it is exciting to have apparently now found her parents as John Brady and Sarah Murdock who married in Orford in 1756.

Thanks again for the information,
Jon

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brady Family of Orford
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 November 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Apologies everyone. I inadvertenetly changed the subject in my las post; must have pressed the wrong reply button.

Jon,
John Brady, Will of 1705. I am not registered to access and read the will. I would be interested to know how it reads and whether there is reference to “my son Charles” or “my nephew Robert”, or “my wife XXX”, etc. If so, this would strengthen a suspicion I have that the family tradition of migration from  Brodie country in Scotland might, if true at all, relate to a previous generation  rather to Charles.  Otherwise the name was not so uncommon around Orford in the late XVII century as has been previously observed or postulated. I have found no birth certificate information for the first Charles, in either Orford or Gravesend with which he had some connection.  If there is some way of contacting me direct, I would much appreciate a copy of that will, as well as Margaret Brady’s.  I am happy to send you a transcript for the Early Family History Memorandum relevant to the period under discussion.

This Margaret (who is recorded in our documents as d. November 1971) was one of four siblings, offspring of an Elizabeth, nee Battell of Woodbridge  and John Hollinshed of Orford. She was the wife (m.1767) of a second Charles Brady, b.1738, d. c.1789?, son of Thomas and Bathsheba whom I mentioned previously.

Regards,

Mike Brady
HOLLINSHED, BRADY of Orford, Suffolk, Essex, Woolley, Stockport & London; THURSTON, SYER, CRABBE, ALLDIS, RIPPER, BATTALAY, BATELL. CHANDLER of Suffolk; PARR, &LAKE & LONG, Essex; WIKE, of Bury, London & Canterbury; OPENSHAW, ORMEROD of Bury, Lancs; BROTHERSON of St. Croix; MANGNALL & CUNLIFFE of Stockport; BEECH of Broughton; BARNETT, INGRAM of Lincs & Cambs; BRODIE/BRADY  North East Scotland; PAGE, GRAY, McKENZIE, McDOWELL, HOLT & MARTIN N.Ireland

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 June 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
Have come across this marriage:

November 8, 1628. — Thomas Brady of Orford and Mary Craggs
of Butley, both single, at Butley. (Book 8, fo. 21)

The reference is in "Marriage licenses from the official note books of the archdeaconry of Suffolk deposited at the Ipswich probate court 1613-1674" which can be found here https://archive.org/stream/marriagelicenses00chur/marriagelicenses00chur_djvu.txt

Offline Charlie Brown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Mike Brady and SG for alerting me to the existence of the handwritten document on Orford at the SRO. I have discovered today that there are 2 old handwritten copies, and one modern handwritten transcription (not typed) separately catalogued but none on the consumer viewable catalogue. I would not have known about them without your posts. I am researching well known families who lived in Orford at the same time as the Brady's and the Hollinsheads and who get a mention in the document so it was an excellent resource. Can you tell me your source for John Brady and John Syred going to petition parliament. John Syred is one of my characters and he was Mayor of Orford once upon a time.
thanks again
Charlie
Shemming, Pettit, Fisher    Suffolk/Norfolk border
Redfearn, Wood                 West Riding of Yorkshire
Wood                                  North Cheshire and Bolton
Smith                                  London, Kentish Town

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 08:45 BST (UK) »
I believe that a subsequent manuscript copy was made by my Great Grandfather William Hollinshed BRADY and nephew of the original author Lt.William Hollinshed BRADY when he extended the family history from the1840 date of the original.  I know from letters I have, written by the Lt., that his writing was very old fashioned and difficult to read. These were all sent in to the SRO by my brother a few years ago, and I have no exact record of what was included or their dates. I  asked the SRO recently why stuff that was previously catalogued and obtainable on line is no longer so. They replied to the effect that everything is in the process of being re-referenced.
Whilst the 1840 document is most useful in filling some gaps that would otherwise be left in the Brady and Hollinshed histories back to the end of the XVII c. I doubt whether it can be taken as completely authoritative.  WHB himself curses the laxity with which the clerics of the day fulfilled their registration duties – or failed to! I imagine that some of the narrative around missing dates and relationships comes from oral family tradition. However, that cannot be lightly dismissed, and where information through digital technology is available to confirm events in the 1840 Memo I have found few discrepancies. Also, it seems to me that WHB considered himself pretty respectable, and I have sometimes wondered whether some facts surrounding the earlier Brady family, of which I find it difficult to believe he was not aware, have been omitted from the family chronicle!
I cannot put my finger on the particular petition to which you are referring, but you may have come across the document  http://luna.folger.edu/luna/servlet/detail/FOLGERCM1~6~6~700829~148889:Letter-from-William-Hollinshed,-Joh#   
John Syred was a signatory, alongside William Hollinshed and a John Bradey in a petition to  Sir Robert Rich  for permission to raise a wreck.  I have the impression that the Syreds were fairly well-to-do and of note within this relatively isolated community.   
Another petition in which a John Brady was involved is reported in   Journals of the House of Commons   Volume 13. Perhaps the easiest look-up is on:  https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ThNDAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA190&lpg=PA190&dq=Portmen+at+Orford&source=bl&ots=RbU-5H33Qn&sig=LYxYZc6FKg5QIEp4cxk_Y4-AVZA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRrbLrg4LQAhVhOMAKHU9WC0U4ChDoAQggMAE#v=onepage&q=Portmen%20at%20Orford&f=false
In the proceedings it was stated : “That there being two people acting as Mayor at Orford, mainly Mr. Stevens and Mr. John Syred;.........”
I hope that helps.  If you have any material on the Bradys or the Hollinsheds I would be most grateful if you could please get in touch.
Mike Brady