Author Topic: Looking for Doyle Researchers in Kilkenny  (Read 5532 times)

Offline avidt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Doyle Researchers in Kilkenny
« on: Thursday 02 February 12 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My ancestor Bridget Doyle was born in Kilkenny in 1816, I believe her to be the daughter of Matthew Doyle and Bridget Walsh who married in Kilkenny in 1815. I would be interested in making contact with any other Doyle researchers who might have links with this family.

Many thanks

David ;)

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Doyle Researchers in Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 14:51 BST (UK) »
hi david its quite possible that the matthew doyle may be related to my great g/f john doyle from goosehill/buttsgreen area...would you have a patrick doyle died pre 1876 in your search catergory.?
he would have been my great great grandfather...there is also an oliver doyle who i believe to be my great grandfathers brother.

Offline Peterf9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 May 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi 
Just for info I have a Patrick Doyle marrying Mary Clancy at Clogh in 1842

Offline geishatattoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 May 15 19:29 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a Doyle family who may have lived in Graig-na-managh or Brandondale in the mid 1800s?  I have a Maria Doyle who ended up in Canada as the (possibly common-law) wife of Archdall Burtchaell, and no record of her previous existence in Ireland.  She probably would have been born around 1835.

Offline Archydigger

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 August 15 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I too am searching for my Doyle ancestors in Kilkenny. My 3rd Great Grandfather was Thomas Doyle born in Thomastown circa 1815. He was Catholic and immigrated to Prince Edward Island about 1840 where he married and my GG Grandfather Andrew Doyle was born in 1845. I have done some DNA testing which has lead me to other Doyle descendants from Kilkenny but I have yet to find any information regarding Thomas. Has anyone had any luck contacting the Catholic Parishes in Kilkenny? I do know that circa 1830 there was a Catholic Priest Martin Doyle and Bishop James Doyle who organized the resistance during the Tithe War but not much else regarding the Doyle Family.

Thanks in Advance for any insights  :)

Morgan
AKA Archydigger

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 August 15 23:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Morgan

http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1032  Link for RC registers for Thomastown

http://registers.nli.ie/#home_map     Other parishes available too.  Unfortunately many are very difficult to decipher.

Conahy

Offline doyle00t

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 August 17 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Kilkenny Doyle's, of which I am one, are not easy to match together.  My roots are in Thomastown/New Ross as apparently the Doyle's of mid 1800's and before used the River Nore to do buisiness. My GG-GF was Patrick Doyle who married Maria Fleming about 1840.  I suspect that his father was James Doyle who married Elizabeth Layhy (Leahy) from Kilkenny City about 1800.  These Doyle's were farmers but, as far as I can detect, also had boats/barges with the Forrestals operating between Waterford and Kilkenny cities and up the River Barrow also.

Some of these Doyle's became priests and/or nuns and I'd wager many were involved involved in the land struggles or poor relief. Other Doyle's were into ships and one a Captain Thomas Doyle (the bishop's 'JKL' half brother, Rev. Martin Doyle was the bishop's first cousin) had a son Captain James Doyle who also went to PEI and had some schooners operating between Canada and the USA.

I have also had my DNA tested by Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) and belong to the Y-DNA R-M269 haplogroup.

If any of this is of interest please contact me.

Thomas Doyle