Author Topic: John Munday, b.1793  (Read 3137 times)

Offline Munday

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Munday, b.1793
« on: Friday 03 February 12 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Stour Provost parish records show the baptism of a John Munday on 22 May 1793, parents John and Elizabeth Munday (BT's at Dorset OPC show this date, and an undated 1792 baptism).  It is possible that the child is the John Munday buried in Stour Provost in 1797.

Our current understanding of the Stour Provost Munday family tree shows no John married to an Elizabeth in the 1790s.  Three possibilities occur to us:

1. Another John Munday drifts into Stour Provost at this time, has the child baptized and subsequently disappears off somewhere else.

2.  John Munday 1741-1810, whose wife Christian Gillingham died in 1779, somewhere remarries someone named Elizabeth.

3.  There is an error in the parish records, and the birth should be attributed to John Munday 1767-1849 and his wife Mary Lovell 1767-1833, who married in Kington Magna in 1792.  We have found no evidence that Mary was ever known by another name, but a 1793 birth date would fit well (their first child of which we are aware is Christian, born 1795).

Any ideas?

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Munday, b.1793
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 February 12 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It IS possible but almost impossible to prove that the PRs have a wrong name

I do have such a case in mine and although I have a lot of family relationships in censuses supporting my view, it is impossible to be 100%
Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Kathryn Deer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 16 10:42 GMT (UK) »
John Munday,is in my family tree,there are 5 of them altogether.4 of them being g,g,g,g, grandfathers etc,1 being a g,g,g,uncle.My g.g.g.g.grandmother was named Elizabeth marrird to John.If any more info needed please contact me.

K

Offline Munday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 16 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kathryn,

Error message from Roots Chat tells me that my attachments were over the 500KB size permitted.  Don't know how to transmit them in that case!  Ideas?  Am happy to e-mail them to you.

Richard Munday