Author Topic: Elizabeth Hall birth  (Read 5055 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Hall birth
« on: Saturday 04 February 12 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information on the birth date and place of Elizabeth Hall.

She married John Durrant 26 Oct 1829, as full age, at Whinburgh in Norfolk.
I have an image of the marriage register.

From somewhere, details not noted :-[, I have got the information that she was born in North Tuddenham, Norfolk, and baptised there 6 Feb 1806. Try as I can, I cannot relocate the original record :'(. North Tuddenham does not appear on the Norfolk Parish Registers of Family Search, and when queried they do not intend to for some time.

I know I did the wrong thing in not noting the source :o but I would really like to relocate the record.

Any help will be gratefully accepted.
 A Chesters

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Hall birth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 12 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I had a look on the Archdeacon's Transcripts for North Tuddenham, but wouldn't you know it - the page for 1806 seems to be missing!

Anyway, eventually found her on the Bishop's Transcripts - baptised as you say on 6 February 1806.
Here's the link - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14264-55033-76?cc=1823613&wc=9020147

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 12 11:09 GMT (UK) »
using the info d/o john Hall & Anne & the Norfolk marriage indes, i think these are her parents:

John Hall = Anne Lewis 7/3/1805 N. Tuddenham

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 February 12 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Witnesses to the Elizabeth HALL, Spinster and John DURRANT, Bachelor, Marriage were Thomas FARROW and Jane HALL (Source FreeREG)
Apologies if you already have this.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 February 12 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help in finding the information I failed to note :-[

Yorkslass: One of the problems I have had is trying to work out the difference between the Archdeacons Transcripts, and the Bishops Transcripts, and which archdeaconry therein, and then the Parish Registers :'(  AND then find the correct part of them :o

Diddy, if you could point me to just where you found that information, I would be very grateful, as in searching through the above transcripts, I noted that there did not seem to be in what I would class as a logical order :-X

trish1120: Thanks for that. I have a copy of the marriage register from the parish register website. At least it is in a logical order to my mind (ex technician)

Again thanks for your help

A Chesters

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 February 12 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

I looked again on the ADT's, and as you know, it's not easy.  These were copies of the registers, and probably sent to the Archbishop as single pages, so some are bound to have gone missing.

As for Bishop's Transcripts, I usually look at the "Genuki" page for the parish concerned, and more often than not, it will tell you which Archdeaconry the parish is in.  Then it's a case of ploughing through till you find the "T's" or whatever ... They're usually in alphabetical order.

Anyway, this time I looked on the BT's 1804/5 and found the marriage that Diddy noted.

I see that one of the witnesses was a Dewsing Hall.  I've seen that name lots of times recently  :)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14264-57670-23?cc=1823613&wc=9020208

Yorkslass

Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 February 12 10:38 GMT (UK) »
i got the marriage from the CD of Norfolk marriages 1801 - 1837 available from Norfolk FHS.  does not give witnesses though.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Diddy. That is why I had trouble.

Yorkslass, Thank you very much for that information. I do have a Dewsing Hall in my records, as the first son and fifth child of John and Ann, so it would seem to be one of those names handed down, so will have to do more work :P

I noted that the years appear to go from 25th March to 25 th March, which if memory serves is Lady Day, but I stand to be corrected there.
It did cause some problems in trying to work out which year to look at ::)

Again many thanks for your help

A Chesters

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 04:16 GMT (UK) »
HALL;
DEWSING Baptised 04 January 1775, St Peter Mattishall Burgh, Father DEWSING
ROBERT Baptsied 01 Dec 1771, same Church, to DEWSING/CHRISTIAN
Other Children to them at St Mary,  North Tuddenham;
JANE 17 Sept 1780
TIMOTHY 24 Feb 1782 (Buried 31 March 1782)
THOMAS 12 Feb 1786

Now the only Marriage I can find is this but it is 3 yrs before the 1st above Baptism so there may be another Child I havent found;
* as you can see below at least an Elizabeth.

Dewsing HALL, Bachelor of Mattishall Burgh
Chrisha_ MASON, Spinster of Elsing
Witnesses, John Oakley/Robt Pain, by Banns
17 October 1768, St Mary, Elsing, Norfolk

A Dewsing Hall was a Witness to at least 42 at North Tuddenham  Marriages between 1787-1806 including his Son ROBERT 17 Aug 1796.

Burial;
DEWSING Hall, 29 January 1811, St Mary, North Tuddenham, Age 67
ELIZABETH Hall, 28 Feb 1774, Daug of Dewsing/Christian*

So we have 1 Dewsing Hall born c 1744, another 1775 (his Son), and your 1st Dewsing Hall 17 Feb 1811 to JOHN/ANNE.

The JANE Hall who was a Witness at JOHN Hall/Anne Lewis's Mariage along with Dewsing Hall may be the Jane Daug of Dewsing/Christian born c 1780.

All these entries are on FreeREG.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)