Author Topic: WORSNOP  (Read 6705 times)

Offline winto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
WORSNOP
« on: Thursday 24 June 04 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am currenly looking for any information or ties with:

Abraham Worsnop 01/04/1807-28/07/1886 Born in Low Moor, Bradford, he moved around the country as a Methodist Minister until he settled in Derby where he later died. His son, James Worsnop was born in Loughborough, had 7 children that I know of so far, 5 of which were born in Derby.

I am currently looking for info about Abraham's father James and his Grandfather Thomas. Although I know these names are correct, I am having trouble locating the wives and siblings names etc. Any help appreciated.

I am interested to hear from anyone with a connection or interest to this name. I have also posted a similar message on the Derbyshire board.

Thanks
Worsnop, Cutts, Mullins

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: WORSNOP
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Winto

Sorry we have been so little help to you on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Best wishes 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marsden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 02:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Probably not much use to you but I thought I'd tell you.  I went to Scotts School in Low Moor back in the early 70's and one of our Dinner Ladies was a Mrs Worsnop and I'm pretty sure she lived on CLeckheaton Rd, Low Moor.  By the way Scots School was actually Low Moor C of E School but always referred to as Scotts.

Marsden
Starkey (Yeadon, Shipley) Dolan (Bradford) Marsden (Leeds, Bradford) Mitchell (Bradford) Murgatroyd (Yeadon)  Chippendale (Yeadon)  Easy (Bradford)  Rawnsley (Yeadon)  Cowgill (Yeadon)

Offline winto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for asking Ticker. I am still working away at it. There are soooo many Worsnop's in Low Moor about the time of my ancestor and even today! Its extremely hard going. Fortunately I've found someone to help me. So far, this is the thinking:

Abraham Worsnop, son of James Worsnop and Fanny Clayton. James is son of a Thomas (wife unknown at this point) who is possibly the son of Thomas Worsnop and Betty Firth.

So still quite vague at this moment in time, as you can see!

Thanks again for asking
winto
Worsnop, Cutts, Mullins

Offline Rhino

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Winto

I am a Worsnop but from the Leeds area where there are numerous Worsnops, I believe there are 2 Worsnop familes in Leeds and one in The Harrogate /Ripon area
Regards
Marshall Worsnop  Born 18/1/48 Leeds

Offline winto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rhino

Thank you for taking the time to post to my enquiry. I am aware of the name Worsnop in the Leeds area, but I have yet to find a connection to them from my own line.

And unfortunately I havent yet found any new information since I wrote my original post. I believe that the Leeds and Low Moor Worsnop's could well have been related, especially considering the frequent re-use of christian names used for the children, but trying to untangle the various lines in Low Moor has become a long drawn out process so trying to untangle the ones outside of the Low Moor area is probably not something I will ever get as far as.

But it is great to hear from other Worsnop's and Worsnop researchers. I will keep a record of your post if thats OK with you. You never know, one day I may find that connection after all! If ever you see a connection, please let me know as I would obviously be extremely interested. And if you want to share info, I will be quite happy to.

Best regards
winto
Worsnop, Cutts, Mullins

Offline asmith_driver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 September 06 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am looking for Worsnop's from Low Moor as well.  My wife's great great great grandfather Joseph Worsnop was born in Low Moor about 1822, but by 1861 he and wife Nancy had moved to Farnley in Leeds.

Is this any connection with you?

By the way, I went to the church yesterday and found 4 Worsnop graves if you're interested in the photos and inscriptions.

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 September 06 05:30 BST (UK) »
Roy Stockdill is doing a 'one name study' of the WORSNOP name.
Try here;
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/WEST-RIDING/2004-01/1073591347
Hope it is useful
joboy
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Big-Al

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 September 06 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi asmith driver
Looks like your wife and I may  have the same distant relatives as my Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Worsnop born Farnley in 1856 her parents were Joseph born 1822 and Nancy ( Briggs).
They had three other children that I know of John , Charles and Amos .Which one of these is your wifes family line.
Have not done a great deal of research on Worsnops as there are hundreds of them and sorting out who belongs to who is a nightmare.

Regards
Barbara
Martin's of Maerdy/Tonyrefail
Thomas's of Llanddeusant/Porth.
Williams of Llanharan/Porth
Census information is Crown Copyright from WWW.nationalarchives.gov.uk