Author Topic: Phillips of Hand Hotel,Llangollen  (Read 27417 times)

Offline Pgen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Phillips of Hand Hotel,Llangollen
« Reply #72 on: Monday 06 October 14 02:14 BST (UK) »
Just for clarity on some of the previous posts, there are 2 Hand Hotels

The Hand in Llangollen was run by the Phillips family

The Hand in Chirk was run by Elias Griffith

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 06 October 14 11:01 BST (UK) »
It was Amy Phillips who died as reported.
I would say that Amey Smith probably stayed in Llangollen to help her mother Amey Phillips [died 27 Aug 1857] run the hotel.

SMITH  AMEY  1821   1858  Denbigh Burials  Pontfadog, Denbighshire, 
Deaths Mar 1858    Smith  Amy   

I`m confused, there is no record of a death for Amey Phillips in 1858,  but  I was wondering why both  newspaper reports use her maiden name and there is no mention of her husband John Smith.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Pgen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 06 October 14 11:36 BST (UK) »
Your record for Amy Smith would be right as she married John Smith in 1850 so no other record for the death of Amey Phillips in 1858
Her mother, also Amey Phillips [nee Richards] died 27 Aug 1857

Baner Cymru, Wed Dec 9, 1857  Deaths
Aug 27, at Walton House, Llangollen, age 69, Amy, widow of the late Mr Joseph Phillips, proprietor of the Hand Hotel, Llangollen, for many years.

Probate (16 Mar 1858)
The Will with Codicil of Amey Phillips late of llangollen in the county of Denbighshire deceased who died 27 Aug 1857 at llangollen aforesaid was proved at St Asaph by the oaths of Ebenezer Cooper of Llangollen aforesaid currier and Robert Baker of the same place Maltster the executors.

Given that the census record was taken at a single instant in time, John Smith could have been away - either temporarily on business or visiting, or maybe had returned to Ireland - did he have other children there?
I haven't yet found him locally to Denbighshire or Shropshire

Offline Pgen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 06 October 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
The newspaper just called Amy (Smith) the daughter of Amey Phillips.
Probably this is how she was better known in the area - i.e. Amy Smith might not have meant as much in Llangollen

Offline Relative Stranger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 11 October 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry everyone, have been busy all week and have only now looked at new posts. John Smith worked as a solicitor in Ireland, first in Dublin when he was married to his first wife and then in the Midlands. I have not been able to establish when he died but am working on it! His daughter Abigail married in Ireland in 1864 and was widowed and married again in 1870 to my gg grandfather. She died in 1880 at the age of 38 following childbirth complications (in Ireland). I am assuming Amey spent a lot of time in Llangollen helping her mother. I have her marriage cert from December 1850 but there is not much additional info on it. I also have John Joseph's birth cert and Amey's death cert but again no new info. I will have a look at the Census possibilities that have been put forward for John Joseph Smith.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 13 October 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the Winstanley family tree. Mary Phillips 1817-1882 born Llangollen married Robert Winstanley, son of the renowned Liverpool & Manchester Auctioneer, Thomas Winstanley, in Llangollen, 1835. On her gravestone, gravestone.https://billiongraves.com/grave/Mary-Phillips-Winstanley/22652471 she is the daughter of Mr & Mrs Phillips of the Hand Hotel. Her birth in 1817 lists her parents as Elis & Mary, not Joseph & Amey. Could Elis be Joseph's brother?  Mary & Robert had 3 sons, Robert 1835-1843, Phillips 1836-1909, Turner 1838-1893. Phillips would carry on the family auction tradition in London. Turner (after his grandmother, Ann Turner) became a Vet Surgeon and moved from London back to Mold in Wales

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 13 October 18 10:42 BST (UK) »
Joseph Phillips married Amey Richards in Shrewsbury, Shropshire. on 1st April 1812. Amey's residence is St Julian, Salop.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 13 October 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
Mary Phillips 1817-1882 born Llangollen married Robert Winstanley, son of the renowned Liverpool & Manchester Auctioneer, Thomas Winstanley, in Manchester, 1835.

This marriage appears to have taken place in Pontfadog, Llangollen 26 Feb 1835 - both parties resident Llangollen.
Newspaper report confirms that Robert was 'of Manchester' and Mary's father was Joseph Phillips of Hand Hotel.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 13 October 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
There was a Joseph Phillips christened 19th Feb 1775 in Melverley, Shropshire, son of Robert & Jane Phillips.