Author Topic: jane hart  (Read 6631 times)

Offline borderman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: jane hart
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 February 12 12:28 GMT (UK) »
JDGEN...i think so...i was looking on FAMILYSEARCH the other day and i'm sure i saw more children..sadly i didn't make a note..my interest at the moment is trying to find the elusive SILVESTER WITTER  a feltmaker born 1631...i know he married a margarey darlington in 1630...i'm guessing he was born c. 1599...do you have the john witter born 1631 married katherine hand 1655?

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 February 12 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Currently I'm stuck with Joseph Witter who married Mary Williamson at Lower Peover in 1752 - he was "of Lostock Gralam" and she "of Plumley".

There are some wills that might help connect but it will have to wait for a trip to the records office I think!  There are a bunch for Witter's of Lostock Gralam...

Jean

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline jamesfreid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 22:59 BST (UK) »
I am descended from the following:

John Witter of the Glasshouse (1673-1744) = Jane Hart, likely d. of a William Hart (d. 1730 in Christleton)

Marriage license dated 16 Nov. 1714 states, "John Witter yeoman and Jane Hart spinster of the parish of Christleton in the County of Chester" with witnesses Thomas Partington and Jonathan Pickering. Unusually, the marriage bond is much later, dated 18 Nov. 1718, indicating there was potentially some form of delay. It states, "Radulphum Cotton de Occleston in Com. et Diocesis Cast. yeoman et Gulielmum Hart de Christleton in Com. et Dio. Cast yeoman". It further states that "John Witter of Christleton and Jane Hart of Christleton... cause their marriage to be openly solemnized in the face of the parish church of Minshall or Warmingham or in the chapel of Ch: Hulm [Church Hulme - note this was later renamed Holmes Chapel]". Witnesses were Ralph Cotton, Mary Hayes, William Hart and Hugh Whitshaw. It is somewhat unusual in that the groomsman, John Witter, is not posting bond himself, but rather Ralph Cotton is on his behalf (since William Hart would likely be brother or father of the bride). The actual marriage record is then found in the parish of Church Minshull on 10 Dec., some 18 miles east of Chester, and one of the three locations mentioned in the bond ("Mr. John Witer and Jane Hart of the parish of Christlington each"). The three locations, all close to each other, seem to indicate that both parties came from that part of Cheshire, relatively far from Christleton and the city of Chester. Ralph Cotton may have been the Ralph Cotton of Moston who was buried in 1761 in Warmingham.

She may have remarried after her first husband's death, to William Linney. Marriage license of 4 June 1750 reads, "Jane Witter of St. Oswald to be married to William Linney of St. Mary" to be married in the parishes of either St. Mary or St. Oswald in Chester. The marriage record for 8 June 1750 reads, "William Linney coal merchant and Ann [error?] Whitear wid. both of the parish of St. Mary's-on-the-Hill by license". There is a death record of a Jane Linney, wife of William Linney, in October 1772 in the parish of St. Mary's-on-the-Hill.

They only had one child as far as I can tell, which is:

John Witter of the Glasshouse (1719/20-1768) = Mary Richardson (1718-1798), d. of William Richardson and Ellen Whitley Lightfoot

Their son was:

John Witter of the Glasshouse (1745-1792) = Elizabeth Roberts (1755-?). d. of Thomas Roberts and Ann Dean

Offline borderman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 May 13 09:08 BST (UK) »
Jamesfreid....many thanks for your post...I have 7 a4 pages of Henry Prescotts diary which mentions,inter alia,John Witter...I don,t have a scanner but I can go to a local print shop and send copy by e mail...my tree is.  John Witter 1673-1744... John Witter 1719-1768...Richard Witter 1753-1820...Richard Witter 1795....Richard Witter m 1850  Catherine Dwerryhouse. Samuel Witter m 1874 Sarah Sugden....Samuel Witter b 1876...John Witter b 1913 d 1983...Regards

Offline jamesfreid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 May 13 09:18 BST (UK) »
That would be very interesting. I would love to learn more about the Witters. I recently saw the grave of the elder two of the Glasshouse in Christleton. Do we know the parentage of John d. 1744? Could he be the son of William?

The third John of the Glasshouse (d. 1792) had a daughter Sarah who m. Thomas Smith. They moved to New York state and then Ontario, Canada in the 1820s and I come from the Smiths.

I believe your Richard is mentioned in the will of his mother (Mary Richardson d.1798).

Jamie Reid

Offline borderman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 May 13 13:50 BST (UK) »
Jamesfreid ...the father of John witter born 1673 is I think John Witter born1631 died 1699 I think he married Katherine Hand b 1635 d 1685 ....but I have not been able to find much about johns father other than he was Silvester Witter born c.1599.   Let me know if you want the diary pages....

Offline jamesfreid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 May 13 22:29 BST (UK) »
That would be really great. I can send you what I have as well.

My e-mail is (*)

thanks
Jamie

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline jamesfreid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 May 13 22:47 BST (UK) »
Here is the family tree of the Witters of the city of Chester. However, I have not been able to fit this into our Witters yet. Silvanus Witter of the parish of Holy Trinity, city of Chester, had the following children, baptised in Holy Trinity or St. Mary's parish: John 1631 (d. 1636); Robert 1632 (d. 1633); Silvanus 1634 (d. 1635); John 1637; Frances (girl) 1639; Silvanus 1642 (married Jane Greenwood in Holy Trinity, 1665); Deborah 1644 (d. 1644). Perhaps Silvanus Witter had a brother John, who was the Mr. John Witter who died in 1678 in St. Peter and was described as an apothecary. The children of John Witter of St. Peter (likely by his wife Elizabeth, who died 1670 in St. Peter) baptised in St. Peter were Ellinor 1649 (d. 1652), John 1651 ("John son to Mr. John Witter apothecary was baptized ye 16th March [1650/1651") and William 1653. The two sons formed two main branches of the family.

Mr. John Witter, born 1651, apothecary of St. Peter parish, married in 1672 in St. Oswald Elizabeth of St. Bridgett parish, daughter of William Streete, and sister of Alice Streete, wife of Roger Cumberback, Esq. He and his wife Elizabeth had children baptised in St. Peter: Elizabeth 1674 (d. 1675); Elizabeth 1676; Jane 1677 (d. 1688); Catherine 1680 (d. 1683); Mary 1684 (married George Hockenhull, Esq. in 1705); John 1681; Anne 1685; Priscilla 1686 (d. 1688). John died in 1686 in St. Peter. His will was probated in 1686 in Plumley, in which he is described as an apothecary of the city of Chester and in which his wife Elizabeth was administratrix. In his will he mentions daughters Elizabeth and Jane (son John not having yet been born). In wife Elizabeth's will in 1708 she is described as a widow and residing in St. Peter, and mentions her only son John, her daughter Mary Hockenhull, her brother-in-law Roger Cumberback, cousin William Aken (alderman), and daughter Anne Witter, and bequeathed her two daughters an estate in Christleton. Son John, known as Mr. John Witter or John Witter, Esq., married in 1708 in St. Martin Catherine Henry, daughter of Mr. Matthew Henry, and appears to have been a merchant (described as such in both his marriage record and will). John resided in Holy Trinity but at the time of his death, in 1722, was resident in Frodsham, and was noted as a gentleman. His will of 1722 is quite extensive, and administration of the estate carried on til 1743, when it was finally settled. John and his wife Catherine appear to have only had one child, Elizabeth, born in St. Peter parish in 1709.

Mr. William Witter, born 1653, was of Holy Trinity parish and married Elizabeth Bridge in 1674. William and his wife both died in 1684. They had the following children, all baptised in Holy Trinity: John 1675 (possibly d. 1699, or is this the one born in 1637?); Richard 1677 (d. 1706); William 1681 (became a leather drosser, d. 1744, mentioned his sons Thomas and Joseph in his will), Joseph 1683 (d. 1704) and Elizabeth 1679 (married Robert Best). William junior, leather drosser, or skinner, married Ellinor Johnson in 1709 in St. Mary. He and Ellinor (d. 1738) had the following children baptised in the parish of St. Mary: John 1711 (apothecary on Bridge Street, married Alice Swarbreck, died in 1738 - estate granted to his father William); Joseph 1712 (leather drosser like his father); Mary 1713; William 1714 (d. 1736); Thomas 1715 (d. 1748); Richard 1718; Elizabeth 1718 (d. 1720); Margaret 1720 (d. 1720).

At the same time, there was another branch of Witters in the area, which appears to be unrelated. This John Whitter was ordained in Lichfield and posted to Guilden-Sutton, near Chester. Rev. Mr. John Whitter married Ellen Bushell in 1670 in St. Oswald, both of the parish of Ince. He had a son John born there in 1673 (d. 1679) and a daughter Mary born in Ince in 1675. He seems to have married a Mariam Woodcocke after the death of his first wife.

Offline borderman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 May 13 14:52 BST (UK) »
Jamesfreid.....very comprehensive list...my cousin,Hazel.did a lot of research re apothecary s ...many Witters were Freemen,as I am; Hazel published a book on the Witters..lots of info on the Glasshouse in it...plus trees of different branches of the family...sadly I lent my copy to someone on the Ancestry website and never got it back.at least two cousins live on the Wirral.....I have had no luck with Silvester...sometimes Silvanus....although I suspect he was born c.1599...the Hand or Hande family look interesting ...probably from north Wales...if my memory is correct the book is The WITTERS AT HOME by HAZEL WARHURST.....