Author Topic: Coghlan's of Kings County  (Read 8171 times)

Offline PeJaye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coghlan's of Kings County
« on: Saturday 04 February 12 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from Canada! -- Not sure if anyone can help me on these early dates? 1800's -- My gr.gr.Grandfather Stewart Coghlan, [married to Mary Mitchell] imigrated to Canada, in 1827. In 1843, and 1845, he sent money back to his family in Gillian, P.O. Fairbairn, to help them, then move across into Canada. -- One brother, James and wife Ann [Tone] Coghlan, with possible children of Patrick, Charles, Thomas and John. Another brother, of Stewarts, was Malachy Coghlan, who also came to Canada, in around 1845. -- I'm curious to know, if there's anything that can be found out about this family, in Ireland, before they moved here? --- Stewart, James and Malachy, were the late sons of a Thomas Coghlan, of Parish of Eglish, Kings County. -- thank you for your time. --- Pat

Offline obrient

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Coghlan's of Kings County
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 16 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,
I hope your account is still active!

If Stewart sent money back to Ireland, then it's likely that "Fairbairn" is actually Ferbane. Without seeing the original handwriting, I can't be 100% certain but there's no place called Gillian in Offaly, so I'm guessing (given reference to Ferbane) that it's actually Gallen:  http://www.townlands.ie/offaly/garrycastle/gallen/gallen/gallen/ which borders Ferbane. You can google map it, but it is about 10-11 miles by modern roads to Eglish Church.

Eglish and Kilcormac (then Frankford) are neighbouring parishes. I mention Kilcormac because the Coughlans (various spellings) feature in my own family history. My experience so far is that names repeat across generations, especially in previous centuries and Charles and Malachy feature in my Coughlans. (I've also come across references to Canadian Malachy but he's not our direct line.) The Irish Genealogy website holds some records. For Charles Coghlan, there are a few references in the late 19th century to a Charles Coughlan http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-perform-search.jsp?namefm=Charles&namel=coghlan&exact=&name2fm=&name2l=&location=&yyfrom=&yyto=&type=B&type=M&type=D&century=&decade=&sort=&pageSize=100&ddBfrom=&mmBfrom=&yyBfrom=1800&ddMfrom=&mmMfrom=&yyMfrom=1810&ddDfrom=&mmDfrom=&yyDfrom=1810&ddPfrom=&mmPfrom=&yyPfrom=&ddBto=&mmBto=&yyBto=1870&ddMto=&mmMto=&yyMto=1860&ddDto=&mmDto=&yyDto=1890&ddPto=&mmPto=&yyPto=&locationB=&locationM=&locationD=&locationP=&keywordb=&keywordm=&keywordd=&keywordp=&event=D&district=&submit=Search

Griffiths Valuation was an exercise completed during the mid 19th century, profiling every townland of Ireland (smallest land division). Your Coughlans are on page 2 of this search: http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&familyname=Coghlan&firstname=&offset=20&countyname=KING\%27S&parishname=&unionname=&baronyname=EGLISH&totalrows=33&PlaceID=0&wildcard=on page 2

Charles Coughlan, lived in the townland of Aghagoogy, and rented house and land of 1 acre, 3 roods and 25 perches.  He must have had some other source of income as that would have been bare subsistence (the valuation took place during the time of the Irish famines)
For more on the townland (along with access to census search for 1901 and 1911) see here: http://www.townlands.ie/offaly/eglish/eglish/derryad/aghagoogy/

I've had a look at the 1821 census (Offaly is one of the few counties with a surviving record) and the only Coghlans I've found were in the surrounding parishes. Bear in mind, the name is spelled Cocklin, Coklin, Coughlan, Coghlan, Coughlin, and other variations. You'll even see it mis-transcribed as Coughton (i.e., Coughlon). Imagine any phonetic variation - in Cork you'd see it as Cawlin/Cawlan/Cawlon.

Good luck with your search.  You may find that you're related to this Charles Coughlan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Coghlan_(politician) and his son, Malachy, who settled eventually in Alabama!

T

Offline gloss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 16 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I have a Charles Coghlan in my family and he was from Fivealley. Parents were Patrick and Julia. Charles was born in about 1835.

Offline obrient

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 16 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gloss
I had a quick look just now at the civil records for the time and no hits (www.irishgenealogy.ie)
You could search the parish records but it's tedious as they're scanned and not searchable by name: http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0928

Good luck!

T

Offline gloss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 16 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I have already searched the parish records and found the parents and many other children born in the parish.

Offline obrient

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 16 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Oh that's great!   :)

I'm always too tired after work to spend more than a minute trying to decipher the records. I'm lucky to be building on work done previously by an Uncle who viewed the records in person. I'm using my internet skills to build on what he found before, with some success.

I presume you've looked at the 1821 census, the Tithe Applotments and Griffiths Valuations as well?
I know there were lots of Coghlans listed in both 1821 and Griffiths (my great-great Grandmother was a Bridget Coughlan)

T

Offline gloss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 February 16 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from Canada! -- Not sure if anyone can help me on these early dates? 1800's -- My gr.gr.Grandfather Stewart Coghlan, [married to Mary Mitchell] imigrated to Canada, in 1827. In 1843, and 1845, he sent money back to his family in Gillian, P.O. Fairbairn, to help them, then move across into Canada. -- One brother, James and wife Ann [Tone] Coghlan, with possible children of Patrick, Charles, Thomas and John. Another brother, of Stewarts, was Malachy Coghlan, who also came to Canada, in around 1845. -- I'm curious to know, if there's anything that can be found out about this family, in Ireland, before they moved here? --- Stewart, James and Malachy, were the late sons of a Thomas Coghlan, of Parish of Eglish, Kings County. -- thank you for your time. --- Pat

Betty born to Malachy Coghlan and Margt Kelly(?) Bapt  19th June 1832   Balliboy and Killoughy   | Microfilm 04175 / 06  I have tried to upload a screen shot but the file is too large

Offline obrient

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 February 16 12:13 GMT (UK) »
There's a good chance that these are your Coghlan's or at least are related to them.
Frankford (now Kilcormac) would be located in Ballyboy Barony.

This gentleman and his photographic record may be helpful to you: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tacoghlanspics/albums/72157622127299381

T

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 February 16 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Betty   left hand page
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635059#page/87/mode/1up

think the mothers name is Margaret Kelly   Marg T