Author Topic: SWITZERLAND Lommel  (Read 5850 times)

Offline kathlom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SWITZERLAND Lommel
« on: Sunday 05 February 12 03:11 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for Lommel's in Switzerland.  They moved there from Germany (Bavaria) sometime in the late 1840's.  I am looking for marriages and children for the following:

Parents - George Aloys LOMMEL (death required) and Maria Barbara Theresia GUTTENHOFFER
Children: Etienne m Minna GRASSLER (I don't know where or when or children)
Babette (married ? HAEBEL) no dates no children
Catherine - no information at all
Georg  Thomas (1836-1895) married Anna GRASLER c1870 - Switzerland.  Had 7 children born between 1870 and 1875)  He was involved in the building of the Simplon Railway.
Jean Georg (1844-1894) - I have lots of information on him - this is my husband's gr grandfather)
Wilhelm b1847 France - I think died young
Armand Robert  b1849 France - I think died young.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I thing the family were in the area near Geneva.  Bil''s grandfather was born in Saint Maurice, Switzerland.
Clemenger, Drury, Dwyer, Goswell, Harris, Hunt, Keasey, Knight, Lommel, Rawsthorne,

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: SWITZERLAND Lommel
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 12 19:08 GMT (UK) »
I see there are 21 entries for Lommel in Switzerland on the LDS IGI, which at a glance appear to include some of those named by you.  There is some location info, so using that info contact the local civil registry and ask for a familienschein.  There will possibly be a charge, but the amount of info you get makes it very worthwhile.  For guidance about how Swiss records are organised use this very helpful website:
http://kunden.eye.ch/swissgen/

Good luck

Paul

Offline kathlom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 12 07:57 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for the suggestions Paul - I'll certainly follow them up.
Kathie

Clemenger, Drury, Dwyer, Goswell, Harris, Hunt, Keasey, Knight, Lommel, Rawsthorne,

Offline Arle_lommel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 18:47 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you're still looking, but I can give you information on George’s son Otto Adrian (my great-grandfather), who went to the U.S. in 1909. The only descendants from the line you are looking at to retain the Lommel name are now in the U.S. The others that I know of still in Switzerland have the name Trechsel.

By the way, the family lived in Lausanne, which indeed isn't terribly far from Geneva. According to my older relatives, George Thomas designed the Lausanne train station as well as the Simplon.

Best,

Arle

Offline kathlom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 May 13 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Arle

Yes I definiitely am interested in any information on the Lommels.  I know that Otto was Thomas' son and I have trawled the net for information on the American branch.  You are right I think the only Lommel's are going to be the American branch. 
We are Lommmel's but we only had daughters so that is the end of that line.  However, George had a brother Etienne who married a  Minnie Grassler and I have  no idea if he had sons or not.  I would also like to know about the Treschel family as I am assuming one of the girls must have married into that family.

Regards  Kathleen Lommel

Offline Arle_lommel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 May 13 06:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathleen. I think you were in touch with my father (Danny) a few years ago. I'm not sure where things were left off, but I can try to put you in contact with one of the current Trechsels. I'll have to reach out to him (I've not been in touch in a few years). I just signed up here so I'm not sure if PM is possible, but if so, I will send you my email address and we can get in touch directly (rather than post too many personal details here).

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 May 13 12:06 BST (UK) »
There is someone researching on geneanet who has this family but with the son b. 1836 as the son of another wife (unknown) of George Aloys:
http://gw2.geneanet.org/louisedmond?lang=fr&m=N&v=LOMMEL

(also lists some names of children but no dates for Etienne)

Searching "Lommel Georg Aloys" on Google Books comes up with one hit which is in German and gives his dates as 1805-1872. Mentions his emigration to Switzerland, probably post the 1848/49 revolution which he participated in.  If this is yours, he was an interesting fellow!

Here is Wilhelm's baptism - in Frankfurt:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NDQX-95S
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 May 13 20:19 BST (UK) »
Just noted that Jean Georg died in Paris - do you have his death? It is available at http://canadp-archivesenligne.paris.fr (in 17e).  Nothing new except stating his birthplace as Wurtzbourg, Bavière (Würzburg, Bavaria).

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FP93-NSS
 - could be a daughter of Etienne and Minna Grassler?
Eugenie, born Switzerland 1875, died unmarried in 1966 in Hendersonville, North Carolina, USA.

She appears to have come into the US multiple times. e.g. in 1921, listing her father, "Mr Lommel" as resident in Olten, Switzerland, and her own birthplace as Morges, Switzerland.  In 1911 when she travelled to the US (again listing birthplace as Morges) she was accompanied by a sister, Ida and they list their mother in Olten as next of kin.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kathlom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 May 13 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jerose

Thanks for the help - most of it I had.  The person on Geneat is my husbands cousin and has done quite a lot of research on the family.  I will have a look at the Google books though - I haven't done that.  Thanks for your help.

kathlom