Author Topic: Abbey Church of St Peter  (Read 6358 times)

Offline yewtree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ABBEY CHURCH OF ST. PETER
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 August 12 05:27 BST (UK) »
Is not the Gloucester Cathedral the Abbey of St Peter?
Hobbs. Gls and Alderton Wilts.
Cornock, Slimbridge Gls.
Wye, London & Surrey,Oporto Portugal.
Gedge, London & Norfolk

Offline scottiegirl44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi David and Robin,

I also am part of the Bush Family.  My grandmother was a Bush on her father's side.  He was Oliver Bush and came to Canada sometime before 1911.  I would love to hear more about your research and know if I am on the right track with what I have so far.  Since I am new here I just realized that I don't have enough posts for PM messaging.  I will try once I have posted enough. :)  This is exciting and very fascinating to the point of my housework suffering a bit. LOL
Scott, Paterson, Milne, Hardie, Clark, Strath // Bush, Buttle, Rattle, Coghlan, Osborne

Offline scottiegirl44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 April 13 03:15 BST (UK) »
I also found this: link:http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=119463

I believe this was to be part of the Cloister.

"In N. walk—on N. wall, (9) to William Fox, 1680, and James Fox, 1677, black and white marble tablet with eared architrave, cornice, cherub-heads and two shields-of-arms; (10) to William Laurence, 1621, plain marble tablet; (11) to Humphrey Langford, M.P., 1685, grey marble tablet with self, apron and shield-of-arms; (12) to John Coleman, 1709, plain white marble tablet; (13) to Richard Gouland, 1659, black marble tablet with eared stone architrave, drapery and skull; (14) to Francis Newman, 1649, plain white marble tablet; (15) to Ann (Bush), wife of William Gawen, 1659, five children and Isaac Bush and Frances, his wife, parents of Ann Gawen white marble tablet with cornice, apron and lozenge-of-arms; (16) to Richard, 1672–3, Christopher, 1675, and Peter, 1672, sons of Christopher Chapman, plain tablet; (17) to Christopher Chapman, 1681, Melior, his wife, 1707, and Elizabeth, their daughter, 1680–1, white marble tablet with architrave, round head, apron and cartouche-of-arms."

Then:

' Wife, first, of Gabriel Birkhead (see his burial 23 Dec. 1614), to whom married at St.
Margaret's, Westminster, 1 May 1604, as Frances Fann [? Fane], and, secondly, of Isaac Bush (see
his burial 30 Dec. 1641), to whom married before 21 May 1623, when Camden (the antiquary) left
her £2 in his will, a8 the widow of Birkhead and wife of Bush

From Full text of "The marriage, baptismal, and burial registers of the collegiate church or abbey of St. Peter, Westminster" Link http://www.archive.org/stream/marriagebaptism02chesgoog/marriagebaptism02chesgoog_djvu.txt

1641 Dec. 80 Isaac Bush :* IClmt&rs],
^ In the record of administration to his estate, in the Court of the Dean and Chapter, Feb.
1641-2, he is called '* Isaac Bush alius Dolwen." He was one of the messengers of the Exchequer
temp, Jas. I. See his wif e*8 burial 9 Sep. preceding. Their only dau., Anne, was wife of William
Gawen, of Westminster, and it is stated on a monument in the Cloisters that ^e died 26 Nov.
1659, and was there buried with five of her children ; but no record exists in the Register of anj
of them, except a dau. Margaret (see her burial 14 Apl. 1650), and perhaps a son Edward (see a
burial 30 June 1643). The will of her husband, William Gawen, then of Harpenden, Herts,
Gent., dated 24 Julj 1699, was proved 11 Aug. 1702.
Scott, Paterson, Milne, Hardie, Clark, Strath // Bush, Buttle, Rattle, Coghlan, Osborne

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 April 13 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Nice to be in contact with another Bush descendent, do you have much information about where Oliver came from in the UK.
My Bush line came to New Zealand about 1842 with Sarah Bush - she came from London with her husband John King. My Bush line goes back to the Welsh kings and their name then was Deulwyn/Daylwyn/Duyland. Cadwgan Fawr married Alice Cydifor and she was the one with the great line from the Welsh kings.
The family then went to England in the 1400's and anglicised their name to two-bush, then to Busshe, Bushe and finally Bush. They were in the wool trade in Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire. They were fairly wealthy and of the gentry. Bitton and Hanham between Bristol and Bath are pivotal areas of my particular line as well as villages such as Chew Magna, Dundry, Tickenham also feature.
It was in the 1700's that James Bush went to London, he married Sarah Millis and continued to do well. When he died he left two London properties to each of his eight children.
Shame about the money, us descendents have to work for a living.
It would be nice to keep in touch and see how you are going and see if your Oliver turns up any more information.
Robin aka King William.
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline scottiegirl44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 April 13 04:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin, I haven't gone very far yet. Oliver was born in 1886 in Wrington, Somerset, his father I believe was Thomas P Bush born abt 1850 and his mother was Susan Rattle. The Bush's show as carpenters.in the census. It is my understanding that Oliver and his brother Isaac did carpentry work for a local church and I have heard they did beautiful work. This church had handcarved leaves on the walls. I know his two boys stationed in Britain in WWII managed to go and see the church but they are now deceased and no one else remembers the name of the church. :-(
Oliver came to Canada in 1911 and was married here to a Viola Buttle and they had 5 children. My grandmother was the eldest.
I believe David Cypher is a relation as he is Oliver's brother Isaac's great-grandson. I am Oliver's great-granddaughter. Thanks for responding. :-) Will update as I make more progress. Hoping David might check in too.

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 April 13 05:44 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Having Wrington as a kicking off point is a good one as there were so many Bush's in Wrington through the centuries, I just googled it and found heaps and they are from the same Bush family as mine. I have a cousin here in NZ who is descended from that area. I know the Bush family married into the Baber family and they appear to have been a very influential family in their time.
In fact in Samuel Pepys diary a Sir John Baber is mentioned several times and being an uncommon name it is probably the same family particularly as the name of Brounker is also mentioned in the same dispatch.
A Henry Brounker was listed in the will of my Paul Bushe, first Bishop of Bristol and I am sure the good bishop is also your ancestor.
Good luck and I look forward to hearing more from you.
Robin
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline BarryTaman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Abbey Church of St Peter
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 April 13 02:44 BST (UK) »
Looking for info on Bush family from Wrington, Isaac Bush b abt 1777, his daughter Ann (Nancy) married William Day.

Barry Taman
Regina SK Canada

Offline scottiegirl44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Abbey Church of St Peter
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry,

The Bush family is huge. I am just getting started looking into the Bush family. Hopefully, I can help you out as I further my research.  My direct line as far as I can tell goes back the Peter Bush born 1755 in Wrington, Somerset.  If you think you cross my Bush line in anyway let me know and I can try and help you out.

Kim

Offline Jlf22Harvey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Bush family from Wrington
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 May 13 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am related to a Bush family from Wrington and have a couple of Isaac Bush's in the family.  The later Isaac being the brother of Oliver Bush mentioned in earlier emails, who worked at Bush Bros Carpentry in Wrington, Somerset. The earlier Isaac Bush was born in Wrington in 1759 (son of Thomas and Rose) and married a Sarah Clarke in Wrington in 1782.
The archivist at Wrington had sent me details of the Bush family from church records a number of years ago.  Not sure if this ties in with any of your Bush family references