Author Topic: Duckmanton Baptism Lookup Please (Completed)  (Read 2965 times)

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duckmanton Baptism Lookup Please (Completed)
« on: Sunday 05 February 12 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello, can anyone help me with looking for a baptism in Duckmanton? The man I am looking for is Sampson Johnson and he was born between 1779-1781. Sorry I can't be more precise but he doesn't seem too sure himself! If you don't find him don't be alarmed because he's also not sure where he was born, it's a toss up between Duckmanton in Derbyshire or Aston in Yorkshire. I can check Aston myself but if someone can look in Duckmanton for me I'd really appreciate it.
Woollen and the variations thereof (Woolin, Woollin, Woolen etc) in the West Riding area

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
Re: Duckmanton Baptism Lookup Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Slightly out of your date range...

Source, IGI (submitted entry):
30 April 1786, Sampson Johnson, s. of Garvase Johnson & Elizth, Sutton Cum Duckmanton, bap.

Regards
Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Duckmanton Baptism Lookup Please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I've now checked the Aston Parish records and found a baptism for a Smapson Johnson in 1781 which fits my guy better. This eveidence coupled with the fact that he states his birthplace as Aston, Yorkshire on the 1851, 1861 census returns makes me think I've finally solved it.
Woollen and the variations thereof (Woolin, Woollin, Woolen etc) in the West Riding area

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Duckmanton Baptism Lookup Please (Completed)
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 May 12 15:12 BST (UK) »
Just helping..do not be too quick to reject the Sutton cum Duckmanton data.........Sampson Johnson is a common name in the area with at least five generations of farmers..........and the 1786 baptism referred to above.is genuine..I have the PR's complete....is a BAPTISM..not a birth.

It's woth staying open minded because people were baptised weeks months or even years after birth...often several members of the same family......so someone born 1781..could very easily be baptised in 1786.

Hope this helps.

Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 May 12 18:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot for getting in touch. That's some very interesting information and I'll have another look at my info. I have quite a few relatives who lived in Duckmanton in the early 19th century who were all tenant farmers in the area of Far Duckmanton. Eventually, during the mid 19th century they moved to Sheffield. One of my relatives farmed The Oaks and they are all mentioned in one of the local Trade Directories. They are Sampson Johnson, Robert Johnson and William Johnson (my great x3 Grandfather).

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 May 12 23:16 BST (UK) »
If you wish.I can give you the families of the five Sampson Johnsons..together with their siblings and marriages.....which should tell you whether or not your family is from Sutton cum Duckmanton...

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 11:48 BST (UK) »
That would be exceedingly kind of you and of course I'd jump at the opportunity. Don't know if it would be for you to email me: s.woollenathotmaildotcom