Author Topic: Burnet or Burnetts Middlebie  (Read 4910 times)

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burnet or Burnetts Middlebie
« on: Sunday 05 February 12 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I've now managed to trace back to Robert Burnet (1758-1815) who was married to Jean Masterton(1760-1820). Anyone know any further back than this, eg his parents?  The family were at Ladywells farm and later t at Peatknows Farm. I've been trying to find Peatknows Farm, but can't after lots of searches. I'd be grateful if anyone can help. Thanks in advance
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Burnet or Burnetts Middlebie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 19:05 BST (UK) »
Soapy,
I have literally just seen your message having just come  back on line after many many months - reasons too many to go into.
My ggggg ( I think!) are Edward Burnet and Jean Masterson.  I have lots of information about their descendants  but have nothing about his parents.  Will study my files.  I suspect you have lots of info too.  Has anything filtered down your line about a Dr. Caird???!!!!

Reiver

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Reiver,

I'll have a look through my stuff. I only got to know all of this in the last couple of years. My mum whose maiden name was Burnett died just over 21 years ago, and I knew very little. i never met any of the Burnetts though she always spoke about the cousins she had in Annan. We only knew one of her cousins , Sarah Telford. Do you mean Robert Burnett. My grandfather was called John Nathaniel Burnett > Robert Burnett > James Burnett>
John Burnett> Robert Burnett m Jean Masterton
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 19:21 BST (UK) »
By the way, my name's Elspeth

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 21:02 BST (UK) »
Of course I do mean Robert Burnet - he who married Jean Masterson. Sorry.  Cannot find a son John though.  Who did he marry?

Reiver

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 21:07 BST (UK) »
He married Rachael Currie. Their grave is in Annan, just at the back of the town hall. I went down there with my sister around April to have a look around.
i have an extensive family tree on Ancestry

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 18:09 BST (UK) »
My link to Robert Burnet and Jane Masterson is through their son Edward  (= Janet Rae).  Yours is through their eldest(?)  son John (= Rachel Currie).

I've been given POSSIBLE  parents for Robert -  Robert Burnet (1739 - 1807) and Mary Rae (c1715 - 1796)

Also POSSIBLE Roberts parents - James Burnet (c1675) and Sibella Edgar (1704 - 1775)

Regards
Reiver

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver,

I hope you are well

Those names wouldn't have surprised me at all. They are known surnames in the area and crop up elsewhere in the tree, funnily enough

Elspeth

Offline dumork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 January 13 23:04 GMT (UK) »
My ggg grandmother Mary Burnett was born January 1815 in Middlebie. Illegitimate daughter of
"Robert Burnete, son of the late Robert Burnete of Walls - accused father: and Betty Wells in Backburn". My guess is that Robert senior would be the husband of Jean Masterton and tenant of (Lady-)Walls in Middlebie. Snag is that his gravestone says he died in August 1815, and hence was not "late" the previous January.

On Mary's death cert (1900) her father Robert is described as a "mason". If he was the son of
Robert of Walls, he'd have been born c1790. I can't find him in later life. A downloaded document "The Burnets of Dumfries Scotland" says he may have settled near Hawick.

Any comments or insights welcome.
Barton, Bell, Coltart, Jardine, McNight, Richardson, Smith, Tweedie:D&G.
Firth, Flett, Linklater, Loutit, Robertson, Taylor, Wards: Orkney