Author Topic: Burnet or Burnetts Middlebie  (Read 4909 times)

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burnet or Burnetts Middlebie
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 January 13 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm descended from Robert (Snr);s son John. There is a brother Robert, born 1790 who married jane Little. He might have lived in Hawick. I'm sorry, I don't have any verified info. I did find Mary's birth in LDS, with the parents names you state
Was Mary married to James Bell ? In 1841 census, they appear to be together, if I assume correctly, at Billmans Knowe ????
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline dumork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 January 13 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, Mary married James Bell, a Dockenflatt Bell, I believe.
From 1851 they were at Gibsons in Tundergarth. I have plenty of data on the family
and descendants, with some on James Bell's ancestors and siblings. Mary's mother Betty
Wells was with them in 1841 and 1851, but not later. She is stated to be 60 in 1851, born
Middlebie, but no death certificate is extant, so I suppose she died befoe 1855.

I had an OPR births list for Middlebie Burn*, which has three entries for Robert and Jane Little.
Interestingly, there is a Burnett group in the 1841 Middlebie census, at a place called Sunnybrae.
There's Jean, 35, Jean, 14, Robert, 11, and John 2, all born Dumfries-shire. The two older children
fit exactly two of the Robert/Jane children, though young John is not in the OPR. Robert is not there.
first named is James Burnett, 60, described a Parish Pauper. Jean, incidentally, is an agric. day
labourer, which suggests that her husband is dead or absent long-term.

Are you aware of this Sunnybrae group, and what became of them? I haven't had any success in
tracking them - they don't seem to be in the online D&G 1851 census data.

Thanks again, "Soapy1".
Barton, Bell, Coltart, Jardine, McNight, Richardson, Smith, Tweedie:D&G.
Firth, Flett, Linklater, Loutit, Robertson, Taylor, Wards: Orkney

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 January 13 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think Sunnybrae is the name of a house in Eaglefield  see here
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/sc-16947-eaglesfield-village-sunnybrae-house-middl
 Bell seems a common name down there. I went to Annan last April and the graveyard was full of Bells. There are Irvings in the Burnetts too
 I'll have look through and see what I can find
Elspeth

Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline Backburner

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 March 17 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Peatknowes is a cottage between Potstown and Cushathill farms between Middlebie and Eaglesfield. I think it may have been renamed now.

Offline PeteRae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 May 17 10:46 BST (UK) »
Sunnybrae also had a number of cottages on the roadside.....My ancestors (Rae and Irving) lived in two of them. It's the name of the brae that the cottages and the big house sit on at the Springkell end of the village.
Rae , Johnstone , Irving , Aitchison all in D&G....Drysdale and  Stobie in Kinross shire.  Grindley in Cumberland.