Author Topic: Chesapeake Bay watermen Poulden  (Read 1720 times)

Offline delanne73

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chesapeake Bay watermen Poulden
« on: Sunday 05 February 12 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I am endeavouring to find a gentleman who came to Australia in about the 1880s.  He has given several birth addresses, Somerset, Cardiff, America.

He was listed as a Waterman and he was a black gentleman.  The only watermen I can find are the ones on the Thames, London. That occupation was handed down from generation to generation of Londoners) and the others on Chesapeake Bay, Pennsylvania. He also stated he lived in Philadelphia.

His name was John Edward POULDEN born about 1860 in Somerset.  My theory is that maybe he was born in the Southern States in one of the many Somersets there and and his family escaped through the Underground Railroad to Philadelphia during the Civil War.  This is my theory only.

He couldn't read or write when he came to Australia so that narrows the field of John Pouldens.
We have been searching for this gentleman since the beginning of time! (it seems like that).

Does anyone know of the Watermen of Chesapeake Bay in the late 1800s? Would appreciate any clues at all.

Anne

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chesapeake Bay watermen Poulden
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 February 12 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I don't have an answer for you, but I recently got an e-mail from www.fold3.com about their Black History Collection being available for free for the month of February, so that might be worth checking out.

Offline delanne73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 12 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shellyesq

Anne

Offline delanne73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 12 21:48 GMT (UK) »
That Black History site is great. Great Civil War photos.

John Edward Poulden was married in Newcastle, Australia in 1887 and we have his movements here in Australia but we cannot find him coming to Australia.  As he was a waterman, probably he jumped on a ship as a crew member. Once again, I have no proof yet.

Anne

Offline mpoulden

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 May 15 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

John Edward Poulden is my husbands 3 x Great Grandfather.  Like you we don't have much information however I do know he went by the name Frank Poulden. Can you tell me where is it stated he was black or dark skinned? I have heard that his first wife's family disowned her because she married a 'man of colour' but haven't been able to find out for certain. Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks
Michele