Author Topic: Llansilin Denbighshire  (Read 6586 times)

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Llansilin Denbighshire
« on: Monday 06 February 12 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, is there any one out there who knows Llansilin and could offer advice. My GT . GT Grandparents Richard and Mary Jones lived there and are shown on the 1841 and 1851 census, on the 1851 census their address looks like Bake House and is next door to a shop so presume this must have been in the centre of the village. Would any one know if such a place still stands, looking at google maps looks as though nothing much has changed. Thanks for any help that any one can offer, L.B
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Llansilin Denbighshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've not been to Llansilin for about 5 years but,  as far as I can recall, the old part around the Church hasn't changed for a good many years.

I see (on the 1851)  that the Bake House was situated roughly between the Hand Hotel (Old Hand on Google maps) and the ?White Lion which would put it very close to the area around the Church.

Unless there is someone here who is from Llansilin, it might be best to contact the sectretary of the Llansilin Local History Society.He's been very helpful towards me in the past. Contact on this page - scroll down to Llansilin:

http://www.local-history.co.uk/Groups/salop.html

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your input to my query, I will certainly follow the info through. I hope to get to the area later in the year but just need to know where approx I am looking first, nice to know from your visit that the place has not changed too much, very rare these days. Cheers L.B
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

When you get through to the Secretary, it might be worth asking about your Jones family. I don't see them in any of my records and I have quite a  lot.  He is very knowledgeable about sources.

Incidentally, my 2 x great grandmother moved from Llangynog to Llansilin and married there.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 12 01:12 GMT (UK) »
I see The White Lion pub is listed on the former page, so is presumably a few doors down from the Bake House. See the attached map of where The White Lion was. One of the newer-looking houses on that stretch was built in 1851, so it may still stand. The Post Office is still standing, as is the White Lion.

I think the best way to find out exactly what house it is would be to look at the tithe maps. You could also use 192.com to see if there are is a home with a similar name listed. Also land tax records if there are any.

Copyright image removed

Offline Owltalk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 January 15 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I live in Llansilin. The Hand Inn is now The Old Hand Inn. Next to it is Tegfan, which I have been told was the bakehouse. The bread oven still exists. The White Lion, now The Old White Lion, has a driveway. On the other side of the driveway is Gwalia, which at some point was a cookhouse of sorts for The White Lion (so possibly also a bakehouse), although the White Lion did have a bread oven (now gone) and at least two ranges for other cooking. Gwalia is comprised to two small cottages joined together.

Nearly all the houses along that stretch of road were Inns, shops or businesses. One house looks newer (London House - the front fell off in the 1980s and was put back in brick). Otherwise all properties along here date back to 1750 or well before that) and most haven't changed much at all.

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 January 15 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi there thanks so much for you interest , I did get to Llansillin and what a joy for me, I had the privilege of meeting up with the local history chap who was a wealth of info. I found the answers to many of the questions I had concerning my family he had all the copies of b.m.d for the church. When we got to the area of the Bake house he confirmed that it had been demolished approx 10 yrs ago it was adjacent to an old stables which was still standing and there where two new properties in place of the Bake house . The area is on the left across from the church past the well and to the right of the lane where the farm is.
After a very interesting time with Chris we carried on to other areas of family history in Wales and on our return home I received a lovely surprise as he had also realised that before the Bake house was pulled down he had actually taken photos of it which he sent to me, seems that the local history society were making a determined effort to record as much of the area as possible, how good is that if only everyone could be that lucky. Once a gain thanks to all who responded you have all helped so much, cheers L.B

Offline Owltalk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 January 15 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Ah... THAT bakehouse. :) There have been quite a few here over the years, even one over in Moelfre that is part Elizabethan. The local history people are very on-the-ball, and there's a good village archive of info. Glad you found what you were looking for.

Offline SteveBr69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 July 21 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I was just googling the Bake House Llansilin and this thread came up.
I have a theory that my Gt Gt Gt grandmother’s family lived at the bake house in the 1851 census, although by then she had moved out. I can’t be 100% certain but if Liverbird is still out there would be great to try and check. My Gt Gt Gt Grandmother was Ann Jones.