Author Topic: John Joseph(Jack) FINNIE (1902- ?)  (Read 7346 times)

Offline unclehus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Joseph(Jack) FINNIE (1902- ?)
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 23:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks rosball, it is funny I need to find out who they are as I have found and commented on a few of her posts as she keeps showing up on my searches commenting on most of my family line! I am tree stalking her lol. I remember a lot about the Finnies and my Dad can shed light on even more.
And Thanks for the welcome.
Uncle Hus

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 23:58 BST (UK) »
I sent her a personal message - as you will have seen you normally get notified when a new post has been made but sometimes people turn this off by mistake.

Anyway I sent her a message just in case ....  Hopefully she will be along soon and can fill you in
(and find out more from you)

cheers,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline malsie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 05 April 15 00:12 BST (UK) »
 :D :D
Thanks, rosball, you are SO kind to me.  :)

Hi, unclehus !
My mother's name was Kathleen Elsie McDonald; her mum, Elsie Marion (Stanley) McDonald; her mum, Adeline Elizabeth (Quin) Stanley.
Adeline's sisters: Mary Bridget(Quin) Finnie 1875-1919; Catherine Julia(Quin) McCallum 1877-1942;
and, older brother: John Joseph Quin 1873-1949.
I'm falling out of the family tree - with so much a-shaking lol
I have informed 3 others related.
VERY interested in any info
malsie

Offline Robin Hammond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hello, Those interested in Jack Finnie. I'm distantly telated. His cousin Clarrie Thomas the gangster was my uncle. I have a gteat photo of Jack and Clarrie taken in the 1930s and other photos of Jack in his later years. Also much info on their criminal activities. Are you still interested?

Offline MrsAngus77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 12 April 18 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Robyn, welcome! Yes still very much interested. Jacks sister Vera was my grandmother

Offline Robin Hammond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 12 April 18 01:19 BST (UK) »
I wrote a thesis some years ago about gangsters in 1920s Sydney. My uncle Clarrie was a well-known gangster of the period and so was his cousin Jack. I have a great photo of them walking down George Street Sydney just before Clarrie was murdered. He and Jack were pretty well 'joined at the hip' whenever Clarrie got out of gaol (which wasn't often!) and were involved in gun battles, standovers and shakedowns, etc., together. I have a couple of photos of Jack when he was elderly, as well, sent to me by another of his relatives, Jim Janz, who lives in Queensland. I think he's still alive.

I'm desperately searching for any other photos of Clarrie that may survive somewhere out there. Most of the Thomas family photos were list in a bushfire in the 1950s.

Let me know what you're interested in.

Offline MrsAngus77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 12 April 18 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Robyn, wow how fascinating. I remember visiting Jacks wife as a child, with my father Barry. I'll go through the photographs I have, but I have to admit I'm not sure what clarrie looked like. I'll happily share any info I have.

Offline Robin Hammond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 12 April 18 01:31 BST (UK) »
I can send you a copy of the photo I have of Jack and Clarrie in George Street (you might have it yourself). They were with another shady character. Clarrie was much taller than Jack, black curly hair, broad shoulders. I think it's doubtful there are any 'family photos' but you never know. Clarrie was a ladies' man and the women of the Finnie family were fond of him.

Offline MrsAngus77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 12 April 18 01:38 BST (UK) »
That would be great thanks. If you send it to my wife will be able to forward you what we have. If you'd like she'll forward you myfacebook, there's a few Finnie fh cousins on there. I've pmed you the email