Author Topic: Annfield Inn, Channelkirk, Oxton  (Read 13672 times)

Offline Scotborders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annfield Inn, Channelkirk, Oxton
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 February 13 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi -
No, William Chalmers was not a Miller (parents: Chalmers and Smith) or a miller (occupations: carting contractor and then inn-keeper). Although I have not found a marriage record, he had 8 children with "wife" Janet Little.
Regards,
Jim
Douglas, Tait, Chalmers, Runciman, Jack. Hawick, Jedburgh, Roxburgshire, Berwickshire, East Lothian.

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 February 13 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Jim
My apologies for the rather cryptic question.
When my Janet Chalmers married in 1811 she was 'of Tinwald'.  When she died in 1860 she was 86 and her parents were William Chalmers and Elizabeth Farish and he was a Miller.

I think we may be a generation or two adrift :)

My regards
Reiver

Offline Scotproud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hello there - I was doing some research on my family and found this post.  I actually do have some photos of Annfield Inn.  My Mother was Sheila Robertson (daughter of James Robertson born 1902 who was the son of James Robertson born 1873 and Mary Russell Bowie Robertson) and thankfully Mom saved everything....including a very old photo of Annfield Inn as well as one from 1971.  As soon as I figure out how to post them on this site I will.  If it's not too much trouble, perhaps you can post a reply so that I know that someone is still reading this post.  Thank you.
Fiona

Offline Scotborders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona -
Yes, still "here" and very keen to see your Inn photos! My great-grandfather, James Chalmers, was born there. He worked for the railway and ended up in Hawick where I was born (a couple of generations later!).
Jim
Douglas, Tait, Chalmers, Runciman, Jack. Hawick, Jedburgh, Roxburgshire, Berwickshire, East Lothian.

Offline Scotproud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for letting me know.  So happy to speak with others about the Annfield Inn.  I actually live in America, as Mom came to the States in the 1960s.  I go overseas every chance I get (but not as often as I'd like).  I find it all very fascinating....the people, the stories, the photos, the history....I can't get enough.  Anyway, I will try to attach the photos to this post (fingers crossed)....

I am not sure who the people in the photo are and there is no date on the back.  I didn't realize that Annfield Inn was demolished in the 1970s.....the 1971 photo I have was probably one of the last photos taken of it...so sad.  Mom passed away in 1995 so unfortunately I can't ask her any questions....but my guess is that she went to visit it.  I'd always hoped I'd be able to visit it....but perhaps you can tell me what there now....is it just a big road?  Is there anything around where it would have been?  Do you live nearby?  Thanks for any information you can provide.

I can only send some of the photos along with this post....but I will do a second post with the other photos.

If I find any more photos or information I will certainly let you know.  By the way, if you are reading this Lesley I'd love to talk/email to you about the Robertson relatives. 
Regards,
Fiona

Offline Scotproud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 20:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry.....I just viewed the post and didn't realize the photos were so big.....Hope you can see them properly.  Here is the photo from 1971.

Regards,
Fiona

Offline lesleyegreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona
Lesley here, delighted to hear from you!!
Ask away about our branch of the Robertson Clan.
My father in law is the great grandson of the Robertsons who lived at the Annfield Inn, and we have two more generations after him, my partner Stuart and our son Cairn. We have been to Channelkirk a couple of times in recent years, to the Churchyard where some of them are buried. We live in Dumfries, about 80 miles away.
Would be delighted to here about your branch too, send me a private message and I will give you my e-mail address.
Regards
Lesley :)
Dumfriesshire-Green, Currie, Strong, Beattie, Dryden, Steel, Carmichael, Baird.
Ireland/Lanarkshire- Canavan, McConkey, Hillis
Ayrshire- Lang, Russell, Pollock

Offline elizabethh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 May 17 18:39 BST (UK) »
I have just been reading your your post on rootschat and see that it was about Annfield Inn. Channelkirk.  I have just been to Edinburgh to Scotlands People and doing research find that a relative - one William Burn Graham- who died as a result of an accident in 1946 has a given address of Annfield Inn Channelkirk............. This adds to my brickwalls.
Elizabeth

Offline Neilr65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 November 19 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley, 

I have just come across your post about the Annfield Inn and I wondered if you would be in a position to help me.
For a number of years I have been trying to trace details of my mother-in-law, who according to all records did not exist !!!.   Her DoB does not relate to her name in either Scotlands People or the National Archives in England.
She lived in Edinburgh but claimed to have been born in Berwick upon Tweed. When I was living in England and we used to take her down for a visit we would travel down the A68,  this would be in the mid 1970s.   As we traveled over Soutra and came down towards Channelkirk, the ruins of a building were still standing, and every time we passed she would tell us that was where she lived as a child, walking every day to Channelkirk School.  Now I believe that the building was the remains of the Annfield Inn.

Her name was Agnes Douglas Tait and according to her Marriage Certificate, her DoB was 15th September 1915.  Her father was George Tait (a fisherman) and her mother was Robina Tait (m.s. Robertson).

The first census she could possibly appear on would be 1921, not available till 2021, but I wondered if in your research you have a Robina Robertson associated with the Annfield Inn.

This has been a mystery which has been plaguing the family for about 15 years and it has always been a brick wall.    Unfortunately my wife passed away last year, but I would like to carry on with our family tree and hopefully pass it down through the generations.
Any help you could give would be gratefully appreciated

Neil