Author Topic: GEORGE BRITTAIN ( or BRITAIN or BRITTIAM)  (Read 1465 times)

Offline katem1950

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GEORGE BRITTAIN ( or BRITAIN or BRITTIAM)
« on: Tuesday 07 February 12 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Looking for info re George( my great grandfather)  He was in Garmondsway Moor in 1871 &  Hodgsons Buildings Monkswearmouth in 1872 but who seems to have 'disappeared' after this. Married to An ( Ann) nee Johnson.  Ann later married John Merrington (a lodger with George & Ann in 1871)
Census said he was born in Birmingham - father Henry , butcher  -
but I have not been able to 'find' him anywhere.
Brittain
Fogg
Batty
Newton
Worth

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: GEORGE BRITTAIN ( or BRITAIN or BRITTIAM)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 17 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Cant help on George, but am in contact with a Canadian descendant of the Merrington line who would be very interested to know what happened to George's two children with their G times something gran, Ann Harrison Johnson.
Roy G

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 17 18:45 GMT (UK) »
The marriage to Merrington was not until 1908 although the pair are living together in 1881 and appear to have children together from about 1877

George Britain etc was b 1832 so I would guess the Merrington marriage followed either from knowledge of George's death or the presumption of death if there had been no contact
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 17 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I have the births of every one of the children and the family on every census from 1871, even though the transcriptions often play around with the spelling of names.  Brittiam, Britain, Britton, Merrington and Marrington. 

Let's hope the person who submitted the initial inquiry 15 years ago, still picks up Rootschat messages.
Roy G

Offline katem1950

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I was so surprised to see this email pop up as it was so long ago that I posted a query about George.

Since that time I have made a connection - and indeed met - another of George's great grandchildren. ( a cousin a couple of time removed)  She is very keen on FH and has done far more than me so I will email her  and see if she wants to  get involved with this conversation .  There is an outside chance that it was in fact her that put a message on the site 15 years ago !!

Thanks
Brittain
Fogg
Batty
Newton
Worth

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Thats great.  If she is Sara from Toronto, then I'll back off.  If not, I have a new contact for you.
Roy G

Offline katem1950

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Here is the reply from my new 'cousin' / contact because of FH.  as a result of me sending your correspondence this evening   She is not Sara from Toronto !   Her name is Tina.    She has never made contact via Rootschat by the way

I am aware one Branch of the M's emigrated - would love
to know what became of John Merrington Turner
Born 1899 after his marriage to Ethel Maud Rogers in 1920
broke down - she divorced JMT and remarried in 1931 but not
Located him - did he emigrate with the Turners in 1926 or
thereafter? I don't have worldwide Ancestry membership.
Please ask for me!!!
Would  SO love to have a pic of John M who was our
Gg'mother's 2nd husband - thanks to u
we have Ann's photo. It was eldest daur of
that 2nd union, Sarah Jane, who became
a Turner and they emigrated to Canada.

Brittain
Fogg
Batty
Newton
Worth

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.
My friend/relative Sara has put her Turner-Merrington tree onto the Geni website.  You may be able to access it, but if not, send me a PM with a contact e-mail address, and I will pass it on.

Sara's research has a hypothetical death date for George, based on the fact that his legitimate wife never married Merrington until 1908 when I presume she knew George to be dead.  It also shows George's 2 sons (Leonard Thomas and Arthur) but not who they married, nor who is descended from them.  It does however, have a very detailed line of Canadian Turners which actually traces down to my Canadian grandson. 

John Merrington Turner 1899 and his two marriages (Ethel Maud appears to be known as Dolly and there is a son from the second marriage) are shown on the tree, but by the look of it, there are also a few things that need tidied in that area.  Perhaps that would be a further advantageous use of time between our two contacts.

Roy G

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Sara (my contact) has written back to say the following.

"If I'm reading this correctly, this person is looking for information on the person in my tree called "Lord" John Turner aka Jack Merrington 1899 - 1962. I don't believe that he emigrated with the Turners to Canada, but I'll check with my Aunt who knows more. What she may find interesting and what I'd find interesting is the record of divorce. Our family lore says that "Lord" John Turner left the family "in disgrace" and started going by the name "Jack Merrington". We also know he was convicted of bigamy sometime between 1923-1926."

Now there is something extra for your Tina to work on.

Regards Roy G