Author Topic: William Taylor - born 1821  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Celticvines

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Taylor - born 1821
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 February 12 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes... John married Elizabeth Walker. This is the information that I have confirmed. I have John and Elizabeth's marriage from the UK BMD, and it lists John's father as William.. occupation.. bricklayer.

The same information as you have found. Manchester Rambler.... this is where I'm stuck... confirming and digging farther back on the Taylor side. I'd love to connect to even farther in the past. I'm continuing to dig around for good proof. I made mistakes with the Taylor line once and had to backtrack on the mistake.

John's son William, his wife and most of his children moved to Lancashire and later immigrated to Toronto, Canada. I'm from Canada, and am tracing my ancestors from Europe. Most of my other ancestors are from Quebec, and were far easier to work on due to the excellent record keeping by the churches in Quebec.

The English, Welsh and Irish lines in my family have proven to be the most challenging, but most rewarding lines to work on.

All the help everone is providing is great, and I thank you guys... Shane.
Taylor Kealy Kealey Stitch Cheese Davis Mabbs Walker Shepley Foulkes Chayka

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Taylor - born 1821
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 February 12 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I have John and Elizabeth's marriage from the UK BMD, and it lists John's father as William.. occupation.. bricklayer.

In that case, I think we can assume we have the right family 1841-1861, with William (bricklayer) married first to Jemima and then to Diana/Hannah, although the best way to be certain would be to get a birth cert for the second son William (as John was unfortunately born before the start of civil registration), and this will confirm his mother's name.

Births Mar 1845
TAYLOR   William       
Bridgnorth 18 25

The different censuses vary wildly for William's age (even allowing for "rounding down" in 1841), and I think 30 in 1851 is a bit too young to have a 14 year-old son (not impossible of course, but fairly unlikely), so you may need to look a little earlier for a William Taylor, son of William, born in Bridgnorth - there's one baptised in 1805, for instance.

I'll look again later - just on my way out now!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk