Author Topic: Davies of Poole?  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Ainecollier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Davies of Poole?
« on: Wednesday 08 February 12 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello~!
Mary Davies identifies herself in the 1841 and 51 censuses as having been born in about 1784, Poole. the spelling on both is Davies and in the register of weddings, the original is no where to be found, just the transcript, she is also Mary Davies (as opposed to Davis, etc.).
Mary's husband was from Southampton (Millbrook) - Moses Hickman - and that is where she lived during those censuses.
The Dorset birth records are not very detailed and I cannot pin down a Mary Davies during that time frame, but there are Mary Davis listings.
Davies is a Welsh surname and given the number of time that spelling is used in records, I am wondering if perhaps there is something "mysterious" about her birth?!
Moses was a mariner, Mary and Moses' daughter married a Welsh mariner, and I am wondering if there is a connection and the Davies family might have been a mariner family, only in Poole temporarily (which does not explain the lack of records for Davies in Poole).
I would love to find a family member who knows just who Mary Davies was and her own parentage!

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Davies of Poole?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 12 15:29 GMT (UK) »
There is a Mary Davis baptised 2/7/1784 Poole, Dorset. Father John, Mother Mary.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Ainecollier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Davies of Poole?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 12 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, yes, I have found a few Mary Davis references, but nothing for Davies AND the vague records just do not help to narrow anything down.  Dorset birth records are so vague, it's a shame.