Author Topic: Death By Accidental Drowning  (Read 4191 times)

chrish1978

Death By Accidental Drowning
« on: Wednesday 08 February 12 18:18 GMT (UK) »
I have recently received a death certificate for a James Fagan who died 17th Dec 1903 in (what looks like) Lissawarriff, Co. Longford of a 'Drowning Accident'. The informant is the Coroner for South Longford after the inquest held 18th Dec 1903.

I would very much like to find out more about the circumstances surrounding his death. I thought the most likely source would be the local newspapers so I contacted Longford Archives who have checked and say that nothing was reported in the 'Longford Journal' or the 'Longford Independent' in Dec 1903/Jan 1904 but they do not hold copies of the 'Longford Leader'.

Can anyone offer any advice on how I may found out what happened or offer any information about the area where his death has taken place?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Death By Accidental Drowning
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Lissawarriff is a townland of of just over 330 acres and located in the civil parish of Agharra. A river runs along it's eastern border ... not sure of the name of it yet..

see the townland on the historic OSI Map : Lissawarriff

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 18:35 GMT (UK) »
it's labelled the 'Inny River' on the c1890s map, and seems to link Lough Iron and Lough Derravarragh in Co. Westmeath and Lough Rea to the west - which is part of the Shannon.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

chrish1978

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Cheers!

I wonder if he's ended up in the river then?  :-\

Any way to try and find out more about what may have happened?

Chris

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Coroners' records are the responsibility of the National Archives so you could try there.