Author Topic: disney family ashby st battlebridge london  (Read 4010 times)

Offline lv426

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
disney family ashby st battlebridge london
« on: Wednesday 08 February 12 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, i have am still stuck on this family and was wondering if anyone could shed a bit of light on the subject for me.

I have a William Disney who was a cabinet maker in ashby st battlebridge somers town london..(this is now where kings cross station is).

He was married to a Elizabeth (maiden name may be crown but i need confirmation) says she was a native of cork ireland (not sure when she came to london.

they may have married in soho? but i see on the map st pancras church was fairly close by?

They had 3 sons that i am aware of

Charles b. 1819/1820?  (b.middlesex?)  d.1901 Ballarat Victoria married sarah darley in tasmania 3 may 1844.

Joseph b 1823 (middlesex?)

William b 1825 (middlesex?)

Elizabeth was arrested and transported to tasmania australia 29 may 1828 for stealing a bolt of cloth.

the sons came out with her, but i am not sure what happened to william.

Would anyone be able to find records of william and family in this area and what happened to william before or after elizabeth was sent overseas?

unconfirmed dates of birth are Elizabeth c1791 and William c1790 (he may have been born in kilkenny ireland?)

thanks

ANDERSON - Berwickshire/Selkirkshire
ARMISTEAD
BENNETT
DARLEY
DEWS -
DISNEY -France/UK
EARLL 
EMOND - Selkirk
FORD
KENNEDY
LEADER
STUBBS
TUNNOCK
WILKINSON

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: disney family ashby st battlebridge london
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi their is this marriage (By Banns) on the 6th September 1819 Westminster St Anne, Soho
William Disney to Elizabeth Crown

No mention of occupation of Groom.

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lv426

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 April 15 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Keyboard86, i know it a few years late, sorry i missed your reply but thanks for the information :)

I am still looking into what happened to William Disney after or before his wife and children got sent to Australia, i am not sure if he was left behind or died earlier, back to the hunt :)

thanks again!
ARMISTEAD
BENNETT
DARLEY
DEWS -
DISNEY -France/UK
EARLL 
EMOND - Selkirk
FORD
KENNEDY
LEADER
STUBBS
TUNNOCK
WILKINSON

Offline rockhopper

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 November 15 04:57 GMT (UK) »
Somers Town is nearby to Battle Bridge - it is .8 of a mile or a 15 minute walk.
From London - Past and Present. Cambridge University Press. By Henry Benjamin Wheatley and Peter Cunningham 2011. "Somers Town is a poorly inhabited suburb of London, on the north-west side built in 1786 and following years, and so called from the noble family of Somers, whose freehold property it is, or was when named..."

Offline rockhopper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 November 15 05:18 GMT (UK) »
From Wikipedia - Battle Bridge or Battlebridge is now King's (Kings) Cross, London. It was an ancient crossing of the River Fleet. The original name of the bridge was Broad Ford Bridge. The name Battle Bridge for this bridge is a corruption

Offline rockhopper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 November 15 05:50 GMT (UK) »
I haven't looked at Disney for sometime. I have William Disney as being born at c1790 Ballyragget, Kilkenny, Ireland. Possible parents Robert Disney Oct 1751 Clonmelsh, Carlow, Ireland and Mary Kepple (Kappel/Keppel) c1755 Ballyragget, Kilkenny, Ireland. Married Feb 1775 Clonmelsh, Carlow, Ireland. One male sibling found is a Kepple Disney.
Of the three sons of William and Elizabeth Disney - Charles, Joseph and William - I have Charles as dec in 1901 at Ballarat and William as dec in 1882 at Ballarat.
I think that William Disney the Carpenter probably died before Elizabeth and their sons were transported to Australia.
There is a bit about Kepple Disney online and one of his daughters was a Charlotte - perhaps she was the Charlotte Disney who looked after the three boys in Tasmania?
The parents of Mary Kepple could be - James Kepple c1712 of Fenaugh, Carlow and Elizabeth Hayes c1720 of Fenagh, Carlow - married 1747 in Fenagh, Carlow. I hope that this is all worth investigating.

Offline lv426

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rockhopper, thanks for that information, it gives me something to go on, i might have to track down how this Charlotte came to Australia, and see if i can find out what happened to William if that is possible, thanks again!!
ARMISTEAD
BENNETT
DARLEY
DEWS -
DISNEY -France/UK
EARLL 
EMOND - Selkirk
FORD
KENNEDY
LEADER
STUBBS
TUNNOCK
WILKINSON

Offline rockhopper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: disney family ashby st battlebridge londo
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 November 15 22:09 GMT (UK) »
A descendant of Charles Disney - one of the three sons of William Disney and Elizabeth Crown told me quite some years ago that this Disney family was distantly related to Walt Disney. The clue to my mind is William and Kepple Disney being brothers born in Kilkenny Ireland? From probate records of Kilkenny - a Kepple Disney in 1857 and a William Disney in 1864. (Family Search). Perhaps William Disney the husband of Elizabeth went back to Kilkenny?

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: disney family ashby st battlebridge londo
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 13:52 GMT (UK) »
A descendant of Charles Disney - one of the three sons of William Disney and Elizabeth Crown told me quite some years ago that this Disney family was distantly related to Walt Disney. The clue to my mind is William and Kepple Disney being brothers born in Kilkenny Ireland? From probate records of Kilkenny - a Kepple Disney in 1857 and a William Disney in 1864. (Family Search). Perhaps William Disney the husband of Elizabeth went back to Kilkenny?

Hello

Every Disney family has a relative who claims kinship to Walt Disney! Despite it being an unusual name not all Disneys share the same lineage (I have traced a number of families in the 17th-19th Centuries whose surname altered to Disney for various reasons).

That's not to say the elderly gentleman was incorrect. Kepple Disney was the ancestor to Walt Disney. However, William Disney, his brother, is probably the William who married and had children in Leighlinbridge in the 1820s (near to where their parents Robert and Mary lived), and therefore can't have been the cabinet-maker in London.

Do we know any more about William Disney, the husband of Elizabeth in London? Were they Catholic or Protestant? Despite seemingly marrying at Westminster as Protestants, there is a baptismal record for the Roman Catholic Church at Westminster on 22 July 1820 for Mary Disney, daughter of William and Elizabeth. It is written in Latin - Mary is 'Maria' and William is 'Guliilmi'. The mother's former name is 'Cronan' which I take to be a Latinised form of 'Crown' - the name on the 1819 marriage! The sponsors to the child were Robert Whelan and Frances Lynch.