Author Topic: *completed* Thomas Bawden abt 1832 possibly Begelly?  (Read 5778 times)

Offline jmusher

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
*completed* Thomas Bawden abt 1832 possibly Begelly?
« on: Wednesday 08 February 12 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I am wondering where I should look to find the birth of Thomas Bawden 1832-3

I have an unconfirmed report that he was born in 1832 in Begelly Parish, Pembroke County South Wales.
His father was William Bawden (birthplace unknown abt b1800), and mother Mary Hosking Bawden (nee Williams) she was from Marazion, Cornwall.

I have tried looking to find the record of this Begelly birth, but am getting nowhere  :-\
Any pointers you could give would be very much appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Bawden abt 1832 possibly Begelly?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 12 00:21 GMT (UK) »
What birthplace is given for him on census records
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jmusher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 12 01:12 GMT (UK) »
He emigrated to Australia  in 1839 and doesnt show up on any census that I am aware of.

The only "official" thing I have to go on is this mention of South Wales:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTCL-XQT

the record of his marriage. The parents listed are actually the brides (aside: Hindmand is a transcription error for Hindmarsh).

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 12 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline jmusher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 12 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for posting the link Osprey.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 12 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Begelly parish records aren't online and only the marriages have been transcribed for FreeReg. Where did you get Begelly from as the marriage says just South Wales? Is there further info on his death record? If you want Pembs checked, you should ask a mod to move this to the Pembrokeshire board where Orielbenfro would see it and he could check his extensive transcriptions.

Even if a baptism can be found for Thomas, I don't think William was born here. I have marriages for all the South Wales counties from 1813-1837 and the name Bawden doesn't feature. There are no Bawdens on the 1841 census in S Wales. There are 2 in 1851 and they're from Cornwall.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline jmusher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 February 12 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Osprey,
I actually just sent a message to the mods telling them that I had created a double post, and not wanting to create confusion, I told them that they could delete the Wales one if they saw fit.

The Begelly thing comes in because of a couple of things. One was an ancestry.com user who has this listed as Thomas' birthplace. I havent been able to get in touch with them.
The second thing was a page that came up on a web search (Thomas was a member of parliament in Australia), that listed Begelly Parish, Pembrokshire as Thomas birthplace (mind you, that page also said that pembrokshire was in Scotland  ::) ). There was no one to contact for that page. It was odd because no-one in the family has anything except  a vague but likely Cornwall.

NB the ships manifest for Thomas & William Bawden coming to Australia says that their religion is Wesleyan. Does that provide any clues?

Thanks for your last statement, that is what I was driving at of course, I thought maybe William was born in Wales which was why we couldnt find him. I knew that Bawden was a Cornish name, but I also know that I don't know much! (I thought it might also be possible that a transcipt or original image might yeild some futher details, like fathers place of birth -maybe?)

So, we should be looking in Cornwall, even if Thomas was born in Wales.
Right.
Thanks for the time you are taking Osprey  :) I appreciate your help very much.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 February 12 22:20 GMT (UK) »
well, if their denomination was Wesleyan, there's not going to be a parish baptism. I've already checked the deposited non-conformist records 

http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/

Not all records were deposited, & Methodist records tended to move with the record keeper on their circuit. Surviving records have been transcribed and are available to purchase. Marazion circuit looks to be too late for your purposes.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/ChurchHistory.html

Have you checked all available Australian resources? The chatters on that board are very knowledgeable and helpful. If he was a memeber of parliament, did he have an obituary? Have you tried Trove?

I wouldn't rely on someone else's tree that doesn't have sources listed or a web page that doesn't have a contactable owner.

Offline jmusher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 February 12 23:13 GMT (UK) »
I cant find anything in Trove. There must have been an obit somewhere, but I cannot find it.
Ok thanks for the advice the Wesleyan records.
I havent checked the Australian boards... wouldnt that be triple posting??  ??? 

I would like to know if anyone has any ideas about what the first name of our witness might be, so I am uploading an image Edmund? Edward? Something else entirely?