Author Topic: Wildermoth/Wildermouth  (Read 12313 times)

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wildermoth/Wildermouth
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 October 18 08:39 BST (UK) »
Just to update everyone who may be interested and is following this or anyone who may be able to provide any further information.

The brick wall for this is still standing but I have found a few more discoveries which certainly give us something to think about.

One
I contacted the Kilkenny records office awhile ago but never heard back from them.  So that so far is a dead end.

Two
Going through all the English and Irish records that I have access to so far I have found a few other Wildermoths who might tie into this family.

a)  A Sarah WILDERMOTH married William Hampson 6 Jan 1780 in Prestwich, St Mary, Lancashire. (perhaps a sister of Jean Christopher? - especially his children later on moved to Lancashire)

b) An Anne WILDERMOTH married George Waite  19 Feb 1818 in Darton, Yorkshire.  Witnesses were John WILDERMOTH and Gertrude WILDERMOTH (possible daughter?)

c) A Samuel WILDERMOTH appears on the census and gives his birthdate as 1826 in Lancashire

Three
Anne Keenan wife of Jean Christopher.  Possible birth 20 Dec 1768 Rathdowney, Ossory, Laois, Ireland.  Parents stated as being Jas and Ann.

Four
Children of J William and Mary Whelan...

Mary b 1825 Ireland died Jan 1887 Lancashire - in her will she stated that she was a widow and had a son Thomas.  Possibly this is the Thomas WILDERMOTH on the cenus who states he was born c1853 Ireland.

James bpt 19 Sep 1828 Roscrea, Co Tipperary.
Immigrated to the United States sometime after 1870 (going by the census returns in the UK)
He married Mary Nolan and had 4 children (all born in the USA)
Died 31 Jan 1895 New York.

William bpt 27 May 1831 Roscrea, Co Tipperary
Immigrated to the United States
Married Catherine Costello in 1868 in Orange County, New York.  They had 3 children
Died 18 Jun 1906 Montgomery, Orange County, New York

Michael bpt 24 Jun 1834 Roscrea, Co Tipperary
Married Maria Martin 1856 in Ireland and had 2 children.
Died c1871 in Devon, England

Daniel bpt 24 Jan 1837 Roscrea, Co Tipperary
Married twice.  Had 2 children, one lived in Wales the other died in a Lunatic Asylum
Died 25 Aug 1877 Prestwich, Lancashire

Margaret 29 Nov 1839 Garryduff, Laois
Married Anthony Mortimer in 1860 in Ireland
Died 1915 in Salford, Lancashire

Thomas c1844
no definite trace of him but there is a Thomas in the census born c1853 in Ireland (could this be this Thomas or is he the son of Mary the daughter).  A Thomas also married in 1885 in Salford, Lancashire to Elizabeth Davies
No death has been found in any of the records.
Were there 2 Thomas Wildermoths?  One a son of J William and Mary or did they have a grandson Thomas born to their daughter Mary?

Rose born c1850 Ireland
Married Michael Tressy 1878 Dewsbury, Yorkshire
No death has been found for her.

Looking at all of this it seems possible that some members of the family may have changed or altered their last name which is why it has been hard to find them.  Certainly on the census they appear under Wildermoth/Wildermuth/Wildermott/Wildsmith.  So who knows how else the last name may appear.

Slowly though I am chipping away at this.

Five
Jean Christopher
at this stage we cannot say for certain if he is the son of Jean Henri De Wildermouth.  Certainly though there does look like there may be a connection between the 2, either as father and son (when Jean Henri may of been married before he married Marie Von Hugel.) or perhaps as Uncle and nephew.  Something we need to hold as a query at the moment.

Six
There are several Sarah Byrne's bpt in Wicklow so finding one that is ours may prove to be almost impossible at this stage.

And that is that.  :)
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline susanjfro

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wildermoth/Wildermouth
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 January 21 13:16 GMT (UK) »
I know it has been a few years since anyone posted on this thread, but I just found it.

I am a descendant of William who emigrated to Montgomery, NY.   I have information on him if anyone one wants it.  Kinda unfortunate that the name "died off" since the males all had daughters or their sons didn't marry or had daughters themselves. 

William bpt 27 May 1831 Roscrea, Co Tipperary
Immigrated to the United States
Married Catherine Costello in 1868 in Orange County, New York.  They had 3 children
Died 18 Jun 1906 Montgomery, Orange County, New York