Author Topic: Hirst Family  (Read 8100 times)

Offline hrhjan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hirst Family
« on: Thursday 09 February 12 20:49 GMT (UK) »
My great uncle was one of the home children sent from Leeds, England in 1907 to Canada.  His full name was Charles Henry Hirst, dob: 15.1.1892.  He joined the Canadian army in 1915 and died in the Somme 1918.  I have requested his attestation papers and it states he was married to a Delia Hirst, but gives no address only Penetang.  The papers state how much pension was sent to her but only states her name and Penetang.  I've looked on-line for their marriage but no success - could anyone help find where/when they married and where they lived?  Many thanks   :)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hirst Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 12 00:22 GMT (UK) »
I haven't found a marriage for them but may have found her maiden name. Hopefully, this site will work for you but I wrote down the info just in case.
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CAN-ONT-SIMCOE/2008-11/1226145051

There were write ups in Nov 2008 on different servicemen from the 116th from the Simcoe area.

Hirst, Charles Hnery
Charles Henry Hirst, husband of Delaine Messier of Penetanguishene, was born Jan 15, 1898 (Ithink this is a wrong year) in Doncaster, England. He enlisted on November 1, 1915, fourteen months after his marriage. He was a labourer and was issued service number 644586. He served as a private in the 116th Battalion, Canadian Infantry. Charles died on August 12, 1918 and was buried in the Bouchoir New British Cemetery in Bouchoir, France. He was listed as killed in action in the Toronto World edition of Monday, October 28, 1918, page 11. His name is recorded on page 429 of the First World War Book of Remembrance.

I went to the Home Children section at Library and Archives Canada and the only Hurst in 1907 was listed as C Hurst and the pages of the passenger list are very poor. It is hard to determine for sure if the C. Hurst is male or female.

I also didn't find him on any census for Ontario or the rest of Canada so he may have been traveling looking for work as he would have been abt. 19 years of age. I didn't find a Delia or near name in Penetanguishene in the 1911 census either but some that could match in Quebec. (Sweetsburg, Missisquoi)

Perhaps someone could check with the records in Quebec for a marriage around August/September 1914.

I would also think that if Delia was still young she would have remarried. The best way to find this information could be through the Penetanguishene library as they may have links to information not available on line.

I am not all that great with info in Ontario but someone may be able to pick up with this information.

www.canada411.ca
There is only one Hurst listed in the online directory for Penetanguishene

Good luck.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 12 01:02 GMT (UK) »
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/tor1925p14.htm

5423-25
William Alfred Ellis, 19, garageman, Elmsvale, Victoria Harbour, s/o Farquhar Ryerse Ellis (b. Meaford, Simcoe Co.) and Mary O'Connor
married
Delaine Hirst, age 29, widow, Victoria Harbour, Penetanguishene, d/o Victor Macey (b. Lafontaine, Tiny Twp) and Adeline Lecroy
Oct. 24, 1925
witness
Charlie E. Dunkin of 73 Dovercourt Road and Philemine Shurgold of 2100 Dunda St. West, both of Toronto

I think I found the Macey/Massey/Massay/Masse (all alternate spellings of the name) in Tiny Township, Simcoe county in 1901.
The names are badly transcribed but one of the older children was called Philemine, mother Angeline instead of Adelaide and Delanie is down as Salida (very strange but I am 99% sure it is correct family) Could not find them in 1911 so probably badly transcribed once again.

I haven't found any children for Charles and Delaine. Hopefully, someone with better resources for Ontario will look at this post.

Val

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 February 12 04:54 GMT (UK) »
C Hirst on the passenger list is a male. He is travelling with a special party of boys in c/o Rev Mr Northcote going to Hintonburgh Ontario. This was an area in Ottawa.

This looks like the Macie family in 1911. The marriages of the parents and Philomene indicate that the name is actually Messier. The mother is Angelique Lacroix according to her marriage; the father is Victor Messier. Charles Hirst and Mrs Delima Hirst nee Messier are witnesses to the marriage of Philomene in 1916. None of this has helped me find a marriage for Charles, unfortunately.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=57944&frag=e081/e002020125&dir=1911a

I haven't found any record of baptism for a child of the marriage .... Delina was a Catholic and Ontario Catholic PRs are available on *A*; a child may have been baptized in this religion. Birth registrations are only currently available to 1913 due to privacy laws. The 1921 Canada census is due to be released next year and a child should show up there, I'd expect.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 February 12 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If you are interested in the history of the 116th, this book is very informative:

http://localhistory.oshawalibrary.ca/pdfportal/pdfskins/116th/116th.pdf

Also, this War Diary:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0k66/

RK

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 February 12 18:39 GMT (UK) »
hrhjan, if you would be so kind as to post names of parents for him? Marriage might be badly transcribed, but the names of parents may help.

For Charles Henry Hirst, British Homechild and WW1 casualty
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 February 12 19:11 GMT (UK) »
I am not positive as there were a few Charles Henry Hirst but this one is Doncaster / Parents Thomas & Harriet?  ( Bower from BMD marriages) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J7VG-G7K
If the 1901 transccription of Hirk is correct, is there another homechild we should be looking for? Ethel?
although I did see a Harriet Ethel in 1911 but can't see in households...

In case you hadn't found these, also see there may have been siblings christened prior to Charles
Jessie Hirst christened 21 Jul 1889, Doncaster,​ York / Thomas Hirst,​ Harriet ( death same year)
Hannah Elizabeth Hirst christened 9 Jul 1890, Doncaster,​ York  / Thomas Hirst,​ Harriet  ( didn't see a death )

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 February 12 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Bingo J.J.!

There is a tree on *A* for Charles (is it yours hrhjan?) that lists his parents as Thomas Hirst and Harriet Bower; Harriet's death given as 1898. Sibs Hannah and Ethel both appear to have remained in England.

There is a lovely photo of Charles' headstone .... caption indicates the tree owner has visited it.

Have just realized you are a new member, hrhjan. A very warm welcome to RootsChat  :).

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline hrhjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 February 12 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks everyone who has sent me lots of info regarding Charles Henry Hirst marriage and the 116th Battalion he served in - in reply regarding his parentage his father was called Thomas Hirst (1868 an)d his mother was called Harriet Bower 1868, Charles mother died in 1898 and his father remarried to a Elizabeth Collins.  His siblings were Hannah and Ethel, stepsisters lilian and Rose.  They moved from the Doncaster area to Kirkstall, Leeds.  In June 1907 charles was sent with a party of boys to canada that we now know as the Home Children.   Once again thanks to you all for your help.  :)