Author Topic: Groat  (Read 9008 times)

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Groat
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 August 14 15:50 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this discussion on TalkingScot - http://www.talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17508 ?  Looks like it could be your George Groat, dates fitting with the discussion here etc.  If he really was lost at sea, this is probably as good as you are going to get. Sometimes families did add details of those lost at sea but not in this case it would seem.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 August 14 21:24 BST (UK) »
There's a report in the Caledonian Mercury 12 Feb 1856 of three vessels going missing. It reported

"The third sloop is the Breeze of Dundee..... Her crew consisted of George Groat, Master, belonging to Pulteneytown...."

The report mentions its is more than 3 months since the Breeze went missing

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 09:02 BST (UK) »
A similar report appeared in Dundee, Perth and Cupar Advertiser 15 Feb 1856 - the source was the Northern Ensign.

There's an earlier report in the John o'Groats Journal 18 Jan 1856

possible back copies at      highlifehighland.com/uploads/hlhlibraries/INR_Newspapers.pdf

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, link I gave earlier quotes at length from the article in Caledonian Mercury, derived from the Northern Ensign.

You should be able to order a copy of the John O'Groats Journall article of 18 Jan 1856 mentioned by Hanes Teulu through the Am Baile website: http://www.ambaile.org.uk  (go to Newspaper Indexes section and search for George Groat - site seems to be down this morning or I would have given the exact link). The article will probably take several weeks to arrive, by email.

Sometimes families did add details of those lost at sea but not in this case it would seem.
  I meant to say Sometimes families did add details of those lost at sea to gravestones but not in this case it would seem.

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 August 14 21:30 BST (UK) »
Barbara, I saw this on LDS family search and thought it may be your 3 x g grandfather? :
Name:    George Groat
Birth Date:    18 Jan 1793
Baptism Date:    27 Jan 1793
Baptism Place:    Canisbay,Caithness,Scotland
Father:    William Groat
Mother:    Anne Smith
FHL Film Number:    0990520, 0844777

There is a death cert for a George Groat, 20 March 1851 OPR Deaths 032/00 0040 0243 WALLS
"20 MARCH 1851 GEORGE GROAT........DECLINE

I can send you an image if you PM me. Also have image of his son Adam Hunter Groat's birth, Jan 1st 1824, with George Groat as "sailor, Pultney"

AncesStory

DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
FALLEN, /Dunbartonshire & Partick /Cherry/Main/Gallacher
SCOTT of Gladsmuir/Pencaitland East Lothian
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian
McKENZIE of Glenisla, Forfarshire/Farquharson/Robertson/Jack/McNicol/Tosh