Author Topic: holdings  (Read 14464 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: holdings
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 11 February 12 16:12 GMT (UK) »
If Robert returned to England in 1841 (if I'm reading Tazzies reply correctly) and died in 1865 can anyone find him in 51/61, so far I can't >:( :D

I'm also feeling he is not the Holborn born Robert and his age on conviction would seem to confirm that. His age at death, particularly as he died in an institution, may well be inaccurate.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 11 February 12 16:53 GMT (UK) »

Hi Janan

It says he was free in 1841 but could he have been able to pay his passage home or did he then stay in Tasmania?
 It maybe worth more of a check.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 11 February 12 17:13 GMT (UK) »

Other snippets so far read ....

1835 transported to Port Arthur
 1833 ticket of leave
  1832 ticket of leave
  1830 ticket of leave
  1826 Assd to Mr Abbott.
  Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 11 February 12 17:38 GMT (UK) »

Hi Janan

It says he was free in 1841 but could he have been able to pay his passage home or did he then stay in Tasmania?
 It maybe worth more of a check.

Tazzie

Thanks Tazzie.

So is the Robert Holding who dies in Bedford in 1865 him ?  I've failed to find a likely candidate in 41/51/61 so it would seem possible he was in Australia and maybe managed to earn enough to pay for his passage back sometime after the 1861 census :-\

Have found this christening

Robert Holden baptised 2 Mar 1794 in Alconbury Weston Hunts parents John and Elizabeth

Also
In 51 there are Samuel Holding born Aukenbury Hunts c1795 living in Northants and William Holding born c 1794 Alconbury Weston living in Godmanchester.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 11 February 12 18:23 GMT (UK) »
There is a St Andrew Holborn burial of a Robert Holden of Grays Inn Workhouse 29 Oct 1789

I wonder if this is connected?
Burial at St Mary Magdalene, Bermondsey
11th October 1789
Robert Holding age 2 yrs 2   
Snowsfields

The christening in Holborn was 30th March 1789, there was no age given which was not uncommon.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 11 February 12 19:01 GMT (UK) »
It might be beneficial to check the parish chest for Keysoe to see if any payments were made to the family after Robert had been transported

I presume these records are at Bedford. ???   I am also interested in this family as Louisa Holding is a 2 x gt aunt.  I had wondered if the christian name of Wolstan had a Woolston connection.  ::) 

Rosie

Yes, but they've also been filmed by the LDS.

I'd love to know anything about Wolstan, who doesn't seem to appear anywhere other than in this thread
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline megangrace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 12 February 12 06:18 GMT (UK) »
thank you everybody for all the help. i am most grateful.

Offline Mycroftholmes1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 03 March 18 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I am johnwhitehead60 and Amos Holding is my 2 x Gt Grandfather. I’ve Managed to obtain quite a full history of Amos’s children, there are many newspaper cuttings about Amos and his family and they are on my ancestry tree. Amos’s son Robert was shipwrecked and his Gt Granddaughter wrote a book about his time being shipwrecked which included snippets about his life taken from his own manuscript and her travels to the Auckland Islands. The book was written in 1997. One such item is that he tried to runaway from home and was caught by his Father, Amos and his uncle Wolston. I can find no record of a Wolston Holding in Bedfordshire or Huntingdonshire. All records for Amos state he was born in Keysoe. When Robert ran away they were living in Brampton, he says before being caught he passed by his Grandmother’s house on his way to Bedford and  passed by un noticed.  within 3 miles of Bedford he noticed his father Amos following him with his Uncle Wolston.   It was but a short time before I was back on my way to Kimbolton.  Newspaper cuttings confirm all these areas. Robert also states at the start of the book that he is Robert Holding son of Amos Holding of Keysoe and Fanny Eliza Donnelly of Brampton.  He believes he was born at Brampton on 17 March 1840.There are records for Keysoe of an Eliza Holding and a Louisa Holding. Eliza Holding married Alfred Cunnington and Louisa married George  WOOLSTON.   This would, I believe, make him the Uncle Wolston  - his Father’s sister’s husband.  Both their marriage certificates state their Father as Robert Holding.  There is Robert Holding born in Keysoe abt 1797 who was transported in 1823 for 14 years.  All 3 children would have been born/conceived before he left.  I have been unable to go back further. There is a death of a Robert Holding in 1865 in Bedford Union Workhouse which is a possible if he returned, not proven.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 03 March 18 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mycroftholmes1

Welcome to rootschat.

Thank you for those snippets.  You are right Louisa Holding did marry George Woolston and as you are referring to Roberts grandmother she was likely to be living in Keysoe where George & Louisa lived and where Amos was born.  That would make sense of 'Uncle Woolston' -his surname not first name  :)

I have Louisa in 1841 Keysoe living with a Frances Holding (age 45). In the same house is Eliza and her husband Alfred Cunnington.   Frances married William Wise in 1850

Sorry, I have not done any other research on the Holdings

Rosie