Author Topic: holdings  (Read 14463 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: holdings
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 03 March 18 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Frances (nee Beeby) apparently married Samuel Holding.  I wonder if he was aka  Robert  :-\

Frances Holding
20 Dec 1850
Keysoe
Father William Beebey
Spouse William Wise -his father was Samuel Wise
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mycroftholmes1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 03 March 18 12:46 GMT (UK) »
I had thought of that possibility because the 1841 census shows Louisa Holding living with Frances Holding in Keysoe. And the dates all fit for Louisa. When you look at the land tax registers Frances is listed as the main person after the possible transportation date but there is an early one showing the same proprietor but the head being Samuel Holding. As I said on my tree there are more questions than answers about this. It could be Samuel and Robert are Brothers or he is Samuel Robert or Robbert Samuel Holding. I don’t think there’s a way of finding out. It’s funny there’s nothing in the Parish records but it could be they were not married and therefore the children not baptised, who knows????

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 03 March 18 13:02 GMT (UK) »
........... There is a death of a Robert Holding in 1865 in Bedford Union Workhouse which is a possible if he returned, not proven.

Robert Holding was buried Keysoe on 3rd April 1865 aged 75, died 31st March, his abode was Bedford Union Workhouse.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mycroftholmes1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 04 March 18 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I have examined the land tax records for keysoe from 1797.  The first mention of Holden/Holding is 1821 to 25th March 1822 Robert Holden, the next year to 25 March 1823 shows Samuel Holding and then Holdings thereafter until Fanny and Frances Holding show.  All for the same property, owner the Rev Dr Hunt.  This would tie up with the fact that Robert was transported in February 1823.  I think Samuel married to Frances is his brother and that he took over the tenancy.  What happened to Robert's wife ??????? but the 1841 census shows Frances and Louisa, Robert's youngest child, possibly living with her uncle and aunt - another question where is Samuel in 1841?