Author Topic: National Childrens Home, Stroud (CLOSED)  (Read 21061 times)

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
National Childrens Home, Stroud (CLOSED)
« on: Friday 10 February 12 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find the name and location of th National Childrens Home in Stroud. I was there in the 1950's and all I can remember it was very large with gardens and a lawn in the front. I can remember walking of a footpath through the gate which had a high wall either side and as I walked towards the house on my right was a long narrow building where you washed and had a bath. It was a short distance from Stratford Park and the school I went to was not very far from the park. That was a small one roomed building which was greyish. Again you walked off the footpath and into the school. I have been trying for years to get the name and location. I have been back quite a few times but Stroud has changed, who knows it may still be in use not as a childrens home.

regards
Alf

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: National Childrens Home, Stroud
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 12 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alf

Try this site (found with google)

http://www.theirhistory.co.uk/70001/info.php?p=9

It's probably the one at Ebley House, rather than Painswick.

Hope it helps   :)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 12 13:27 GMT (UK) »
More references

http://www.theirhistory.co.uk/70001/info.php?p=9  (2 pages)

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2768885     picture

It's now a listed building.  If you put

235 Westward Road, Ebley

into google maps, it will show you approximately where it is located

Linda

MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 February 12 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the links, but it is not any of them.

I only gave the subject as National Childrens Home as I was unaware there were other homes. I am now wondering if could have been Roxborough House, all I can remember it was in Stroud and I walked up a narrow road from a hill and the house was on my right. Either side of the gate/door, never saw it closed was a high stone wall with a drive way to the big house I think it was white. At the weekends some of the boys used to go down to a stream to play and walk along the canal towards the brewery. My memory is now devoid of any other information.

Offline shellmex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 12 16:58 GMT (UK) »
You may find HiddenLives website useful although it appears to be earlier than your dates I found the home my mother and her siblings were placed in and that  was around the late 1930's.
Good Luck

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 February 12 20:58 GMT (UK) »
The area you describe seems to be near Butterow, Rodborough.  If you go to the following site

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-131347-rodborough-house-including-gatepiers-to-

there is a description of the house.

This is also interesting:

http://www.francisfrith.com/stroud,gloucestershire/memories/rodborough-house-_70281/#utmcsr=google.co.uk&utmcmd=referral&utmccn=google.co.uk

Lizzie

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 February 12 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Many thanks for the links. Not Rodborough.

It was in Stoud and not to far from Stratford Park, the Train Station, because I could hear the train leaving the station and the siren from the Fire Station.

What has interested me that there are no records, photos of this place. I have been in touch with the Stroud council but no result.
I am sure it is no longer about, but I will have to try and retrace my walk from Stratford Park, going up hill towards the town and then going off to my right.

Do any one know of the via duct in a valley and not far from a canal in stroud?. Once I have found that it may help.

Sorry to be a pain, but it has been bugging me for so long.

alf

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 February 12 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alf

If you start from Stratford Park, go up the hill (Stratford Road)and then turn right you are then on the road from Stroud to Painswick, Beeches Green.  On the right of that road as you walk towards Stroud there is Catholic Church/school.  The school is called Rosary School.  If you walk past that to a road junction and turn right onto Merrywallks, the bus station was accessible on your left (it's all changed now) and on the right quite high up off the road  you can see the Catholic buildings.  If you carry along Merrywalks you walk under a viaduct, towards the railway and canal.  At that point you will be on Butterow, where Rodborough House was situated.

Are you talking about the Rosary School do you think?  Or does my description of your walk make things any clearer?

You could perhaps contact Gloucestershire County Council, as the home may have come under their jurisdiction, rather than Stroud.

There was a large house called Stratford Lodge on the corner of Stratford Road which is now a Premier Inn that could have been the place you are thinking about.  Go to http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/STROLD/stroud for a photograph of it.

There is a Stroud Local History society which you can google, I don't know if they can help you. 

Lizzie

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie

Many thanks for your reply. I have had a look at the google map again and I have now found the viaduct thanks to your directions. I have sort of retraced the route us kids and nurses took when we used to go up to the downs. The area where I think the house was  has been rebuilt, so no hope in seeing it. The school was church of England and not to far from Stratford park along Stratford Road.
I will make contact with Gloucester County Council and see what they come up with.

Alf