Author Topic: Doyles of Carrick Slavin, near Carrick-on-Shannon  (Read 17907 times)

Offline jsanders

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Doyles of Carrick Slavin, near Carrick-on-Shannon
« on: Saturday 11 February 12 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm a decendant of a Esther (O'Rourke) Doyle from the townland of Carrick Slavin, which is near Carrick on Shannon I believe.  She married a John Doyle in Ireland in about 1872.  Her husband John died sometime near 1896 levaing her with a lots of young children.  She never re-married.  Most of her children immigrated to the United States and ended up in Bristol, Hartford County, Connecticut in the USA.

A few of her children stayed behind.  My family lost touch with the descendants of her family in Ireland sometime in the 1990s.  I was trying to see if there's a way to reconnect with them.  The children who stayed with her in Ireland included

1) Mary Ann Doyle born in 1872 who married a Patrick Logan.  I don't know if they had any children. 

2) Michael Doyle born in 1873 who married a Bridget.  They had two known children Mary.  Mary married a Dennis O'Brien. 

Mary and Dennis had two children.  The first child was Dennis. This is the family which I think we had connections in Ireland up until the 1990s or so.  The second child was Michael.

The 2nd child of Michael and Bridget was John.  John married an Eileen.  They had 4 children (John, Eileen, Maureen & Michael). 
3) Patrick Doyle born in 1877.  It is unknown if he married.

4) Sarah Doyle born in 1894.  She married a Francis O'Brien.  I don't know if they had children.

Any thoughts on trying to reconnect with descendants of Esther and John would be appreciated.  I do have a picture of Esther which was on a funeral card.  Here's a link to a blogpost with her funeral card and picture.

http://www.hiddengenealogynuggets.com/genealogyblog/2012/02/funeral-card-friday-esther-orourke-doyle/

Regards, Jim
Sanders (Connecticut, USA, originally from London area, England [Henry L. Sanders & Barbara Ann Warwick])
Laurie (Connecticut, USA, originally from Scotland [John Douglas Laurie & Nicholas Martin])
Fox (Connecticut, USA, originally from County Leitrim, Ireland [Patrick Fox & Mary McGovern] )
Doyle (Connecticut, USA, originally from County Leitrim, Ireland [John Doyle & Esther O'Rourke])

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Doyles of Carrick Slavin, near Carrick-on-Shannon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 12 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Best place to start searching for the Irish relatives is probably the 1901 and 1911 census-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

The online civil registration index goes up to 1958 but it might be difficult to pick out the correct people with only name and idea of birthdates for a common surname- www.familysearch.org
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jsanders

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 12 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you for your quick response.  I have the 1901 and 1911 Ireland Census records.  How would I use that to trace the family forwards to today to find some living descendants? 

I have one other bit of information which might be helpful.  Michael Doyle, son of John and Esther Doyle, died on 23-Jun-1949.  His funeral card lists a place of Killarkin, Co. Leitrim.  That's the first time I've heard of Killarkin.

Regards, Jim

Sanders (Connecticut, USA, originally from London area, England [Henry L. Sanders & Barbara Ann Warwick])
Laurie (Connecticut, USA, originally from Scotland [John Douglas Laurie & Nicholas Martin])
Fox (Connecticut, USA, originally from County Leitrim, Ireland [Patrick Fox & Mary McGovern] )
Doyle (Connecticut, USA, originally from County Leitrim, Ireland [John Doyle & Esther O'Rourke])

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 12 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Children of John Doyle & Esther Roarke/Roarke (www.familysearch.org):
Mary born 1 May 1872
Michael born 10 Oct.1873
Patrick born 8 Mar.1877
James born 1 Apr.1879

Possibly Michael Doyle and wife Bridget? Bridget might be a 2nd wife and not the mother of the children as the form says married 2 years and both children were much older than this-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Leitrim/Leitrim/Killarcan/653695

If the above Mary Doyle is the child in above 1911 census it's possible that her children are still alive. The online civil registration index only goes up to 1958 and we aren't alloved to post details of anyone who could still be living.

Killarcan is a townland in Kiltoghert parish (Carrick on Shannon Poor Law Union).

Offline jsanders

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 12 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  Do you know if there are any Doyle's or O'Briens living in Killarcan today.  Is there a good on-line directory I could consult with?  I live in the USA.

Regards, Jim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 12 10:17 GMT (UK) »
You could try the phone directory- but many people are ex-directory (not listed) or just have a mobile phone these days-
http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 February 12 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes there are Doyles and O'Briens still there but I wouldn't have a clue on their history....one family of Doyles went to England last year.

While I see them around I'm not sure of which houses they live in but can check........
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline jsanders

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the added information.   I would love to reconnect with the Doyle's / O'Brien.  The last we knew, Dennis O'Brien was living in or near Killarkin, county Letirim.  We believe he passed away in the late 1980s or early 1990s.  Perhaps someone from that area used to know Dennis O'Brien or his children.

Regards, Jim

Offline caomhin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 March 12 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Such a long shot, but here goes: Michael (John) Doyle, born 1908 - so he claimed.
Could he be in the year range for Michael, son of Michael and Bridget?
Do you have a Michael unaccounted for in your ancestry?
My Michael said he was born in North Leitrim, but he could have been muddying the trail for whatever reasons. He died in England back in 1984. Probably left Ireland in the 1930's. No documentary evidence and no contact with family.
We believe he worked as a labourer on the railways in Leitrim, as he later did in England.