Author Topic: Fenwick, Ayrshire - Was this murder?  (Read 10231 times)

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Fenwick, Ayrshire - Was this murder?
« on: Sunday 12 February 12 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

The following is from the Fenwick Burial Register for 1835 and It sounds like murder to me. Does anyone know where I can start looking to find out more about the case?  :o

**** McConnel - Margaret McConnel wife of Hugh Lundie an Irishman in Fenwicktown was found dead on the third of August 1835 in that part of Fenwick Water called Alexander's Weel with a rope tied firm round her neck and a cart bush fastened to it. The body was inspected by the two Surgeons of this place and buried on the sixth said month.

Thank you
Norma  :)
Wells or Walls, Lundy or Lundie, Greer or Grier

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine o'n dh'thainic
    • View Profile
Re: Fenwick, Ayrshire - Was this murder?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 12 16:38 BST (UK) »
I had a look in the Glasgow Herald and Scotsman newspapers around that date and there seems to be no reference to it. As it's before statutory registration, I doubt you'll find much more in official records.

It's also possible that it could be a suicide, but in that case it's strange that there isn't anything in the newspapers. Maybe the Ayr Advertiser for the time might have had something? You could try contacting the Ayrshire Archives (link here) http://www.ayrshirearchives.org.uk/contact.asp
Suffolk, England – Benstead, Boldero, Boldy, Boyns, Boynes, Collins, Cooper, Elliott, Fletcher, Laflin, Laws, Lankester, Markham, Marshall, Orriss, Steward, Taylor, Thimblethorpe
Scotland – Barclay, Campbell, Finlay, Freeland, Grove, Hay, Horn, Laird, McDonald, McKay, Milne, Mills, Peebles, Robertson, Shearer, Stewart, Strang, Thomson

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 12 17:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks janglaschu,

I will try the Ayrshire archives

Norma
 ;)

Offline Boab3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 12 23:41 BST (UK) »
As a matter of interest, I have this Hugh Lundie from Fenwick in my tree. He was born in Loughgilly, Northern Ireland. His first wife Elizabeth Johnston died in 1828 and I have his second wife Margaret (married 1830 Fenwick) as having died 1835! (but no details) What a great piece of information! Thanks Norma. Perhaps if you find out more you could let me know!

Boab3 

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Boab3.

I have Hugh´s death cert if you need it. Is he a direct ancestor? My link is with his brother Robert. There appear to have been several brothers and sisters came over from Ireland about 1805. I have confirmed their parents names from some of the death certs. I am still trying to trace them in Ireland, though. I have confirmation that one of them was born in Inch (Co Down I am assuming).
I have emailed the Ayrshire Archives re Margaret and will post here if I come up with anything. I have two marriages for Hugh and Margaret, one in Fenwick and one in Kilmarnock. Both have different surnames for Margaret - similar to but not McConnell.

Norma

Offline Boab3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Norma

My link is through Janet Lundie who married John Porter. They would be my 4xg grandparents.  I also have Margaret as 'Clanachan' but I don't know if that is accurate.

Boab3

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boab,

I am back on the case with the Lundies. I am trying to get copies of the Fenwick Kirk Sessions to find out more about Margaret Lundie whondrowned at Fenwick.

Janet  Porter nee Lundie is the sister of my ancestor Robert Lundie (4xGGF). Janets parents were John Lundie and Agnes Greer (I have the death cert).

The reason I am messaging is that yesterday I came across a copy of the burial register for Sorn Church. The details for plot 223 are:
Er John Porter, Crofthead 20.2.1870 75
IMO Mo. Jan Anderson 9.3.1847 84
3 chn d. In inf.
W. Jan. 27.2.1862 73 (Janet Lundie)
Margt. Porter 4.8.1885 (hus. Francis Hodge)

Suggests John Porter's mother was Janet Anderson. There is a birth in Kirkmichael on 9.10.1792 to John Porter and Janet Anderson. The christening was on 21.10.1792. I couldn't find any other births for John and Janet.

I didn't know if you had this information already so thought I would pass it on.

I have just ordered some copies of a trial against Janet's brother, Thomas in 1824, from the Scottish Records Office.
Best wishes
Norma

Offline Boab3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 February 17 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Norma. I hadn't looked at this branch for a long time. I do have the information on the Porters and have Janet Anderson as Hugh's mother. A very interesting branch the Lundies lol. It would be interesting to hear about Thomas's trial.

Best wishes

Boab

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 April 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
Trying to send you a file but it won´t load. If you let me have your email address I will send some of the trial papers I have transcribed for Thomas Lundie, Janet Porter´s sister.
Best wishes
Norma