Author Topic: Fenwick, Ayrshire - Was this murder?  (Read 10220 times)

Offline Boab3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fenwick, Ayrshire - Was this murder?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 April 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Norma

I'd love to see transcription but I don't think I'm allowed to post my email address. Perhaps someone would give us some advice?

Boab3

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 April 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

You can use the Personal Message(PM) system to send private information.
Attachments are not allowed on PMs

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Boab3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 April 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Ev

Offline Boab3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 April 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
Have sent email address Norma.

Boab3

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 September 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
Here´s a follow-up to this:

Ayr Advertiser 13th August 1835

MYSTERIOUS DEATH – About 3 o’clock of the morning of Monday 3d inst., Mrs. Lundy, wife of Hugh Lundy, farmer Fenwick, was missed from bed by her husband, who communicated the circumstances to his neighbours and commenced a search for her himself.  On failing to find her in the neighbourhood of her own dwelling, the search was abandoned, under the impression that, as she had for some days been purposing a visit to her mother’s house, she might have gone thither.  As the morning advanced, however, a labourer, who was proceeding to his work, discovered a corpse in the water of Fenwick, a short distance from Lundy’s house, which, with assistance, he drew out of the pool, and found to be that of the unfortunate woman.  The body was sunk by the bush of a cart-wheel tied to the neck by a rope.  A precognition has been taken by the civil authorities of the circumstances connected with this melancholy occurrence, which is to be forwarded to Crown Counsel.

The details were sent to Edinburgh to see if a case should be brought. So obviously they thought it was suspicious and not suicide. Hugh was in Glasgow by the following year so maybe he ran off. He was married again that year to Caroline Ballantyne.
Wells or Walls, Lundy or Lundie, Greer or Grier

Offline ksyw2x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 December 17 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I know from reading RCE (Register of Corrected Entries) that a death could be ruled by the Procurator Fiscal as accident or suicide. There are several suicides in my extended Scottish family tree and an RCE accompanies the Death Certificate. There are also a couple of accidental deaths where bruising seems to have been the flag that led to a review of the death. I don't know what kind of documentation would exist for the pre-1855 deaths that triggered a legal review. Have you tried searching in the Scottish Records Office online?

Offline Antigo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 June 18 18:00 BST (UK) »
Fascinating info - thanks!  Hugh Lundie is a direct ancestor (and 3rd wife Caroline Ballantyne), but had no idea about his 2nd wife. I have all the other people who were mentioned in the threads, and some clues about Hugh's life (farmer or farm labourer).  Brother John a cotton weaver, brother-in-law Porter a farmer W/100 acres, nephew Robert a coal miner.  Parents John Lundie from Loughgilly and Agnes Grier, daughter of Robert Grier but can't get back further than that.  I do not have any death certs. I would love to have additional info.  I realise this is quite a grand request, but as this is my first time on Roots, I'm not really sure if it is even polite to ask.  Any comments most appreciated!

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 June 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Antigo,

I have pm´d you.
Norma
Wells or Walls, Lundy or Lundie, Greer or Grier

Offline Antigo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 June 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
Many thanks!!  But I received a message that says I'm not allowed to receive personal messages in the PM section!  When I checked the rules though it says new members can't receive until they've made 3 postings and the one above was my very first.  Hey ho, another one or two to go and I should be there.