Author Topic: Palestine Police 1936 to 1940  (Read 12845 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Palestine Police 1936 to 1940
« on: Sunday 12 February 12 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks

I am researching the life of my father Stanley George Goodey born 14 Dec 1916 and died 10 Sep 2007. I have discovered that he returned on the "Orontes" from Port Said arriving at Tilbury in 16 April 1940. (He enlisted in the RAF in London on 18 Jun 1940). On the Passenger records his occupation is given as Palestine Police and his last county of permanent residence as Palestine.

I would very much like to find out more about his time in Palestine and in particular when he left the UK to go there and when he was recruited into the Palestine Police.

According to my fathers WW2 service record with the RAF he gave no occupation when he enlisted but said he was of Independent Means. I don't know if this was a euphemism for unemployed or financially wealthy? Also he didn't mention that he had been in the Palestine Police but did mention that he was in the Auxiliary Air Force between 1934 and 1937 with no more detail than these dates!

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Palestine Police 1936 to 1940
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 12 14:35 GMT (UK) »
http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Palestine_Police
According to this some records may be held by the British Empire and Commonwealth Museum which was in Bristol and is in the process of relocating to London. Getting access to that is probably a bit of a mess.

Some service record cards are held by Middle East Centre Archive at St Antony's College, Oxford (http://www.sant.ox.ac.uk/mec/meca.shtml ).   Access to these appears to be limited due to data protection laws but as next of kin you should be able to arrange access.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action doesn't seem to show him leaving the country but there are several potential reasons for that (e.g. he travelled as crew, his name has been mistranscribed).

"independent means" generally refers to having some source of financial support (for example income from property) such that one doesn't require employment.  That can cover a wide range of situations/income levels, though.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jorose

Thanks for your reply with the links. It looks like the Service Records for members of the Palestine Police force can only be obtained by visiting St. Anthony's College in Oxford which is not possible for me at present as I live in the north east of England. However I have contacted the archivist to ask if someone else might visit in my place.

Thanks agasin for the info.

Regards

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline Rokes32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 12 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

I am researching a relative who was also in the Palestine Police Force around the same time. To gain access to all his records I have been in touch with the Ministry of Defence. The cost if £30.00 and it can take up to 12 months for all the records to be sent to you. I should receive mine any day now.

If you look on their website and go to service records enquiries you will be able to download the paperwork to request the records.

Hope this helps.

Rachel

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 12 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachel

I have managed to obtain details of my fathers service with the Palestine Police Force but I got them from the The British Empire & Commonwealth Museum, Clock Tower Yard, Temple Meads, Bristol, BS1 6QH T: 0117 925 4980

http://www.empiremuseum.co.uk/aboutus/museumarchives.htm

The records I obtained included records of my fathers postings between Sep 1939 and April 1940 when he returned to the UK (and later in June 1940 joined the RAF). The records I recieved were great as they included records of the school my father attended between 1922 and 1931 and his employment from 1931 up to the point he joined the Palestine Police Force. Obtaining this record cost me £30.

I should also mention Grahame Jenkins of the Palestine Police Force Old Comrades Association who was very helpful and kindly emailed me a copy of a photo of my father in his Palestine Police Force Uniform

http://www.wyevalley.worldonline.co.uk/

Best wishes

Richard

Offline Rokes32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 March 12 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

Yes I have just received some documents from the British Empire and Commonwealth Museum. They are very informative.

The records I have requested from the MOD will be more informative apparently, due to the fact that over 25 years have passed since he was in service, and that he is no longer living.

Once they arrive I will be happy to email you as to whether it is worth going down that route.

Kind regards

Rachel

Offline nvb272

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 March 14 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I purchased a service record from St.Anthony's college a few years back, they charged me only for copying the records about £5.

It was my great grandfather that i was looking for so you should be able to get no problem, you may also want to try and buy a book called A Job Well done which is all about the Palestine Police.

The book is out of print so the copies on e bay or amazon are a bit pricy.
Bradford-Sussex, Surrey
McGinlay-Donegal,Glasgow
Howatson-Dalkeith,London
Jamieson-Londonderry,Partick
Key/McKee/Kee-Londonderry

Offline Rokes32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 March 14 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this information; it will no doubt be very helpful to me.

Kind regards

Rachel

Offline bppaeditor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 September 15 11:26 BST (UK) »
 There is an ebook version of A Job Well Done by Ted Horne now. It can be found on Amazon.  Basic service Records of the British Palestine Police Section (these include the many  Irish members)  can be obtained from Martin Higgins who researched the records when they were at the Bristol colonial museum, now closed.  He has digital copies of many of the official identification photos that were taken of new recruits. The temporary URL of the contacts details for the British Palestine Police Association can be found at htttp://www.landofbrokenpromises.co.uk/BPPA/contacts.html

requote author=nvb272 link=topic=581441.msg5245098#msg5245098 date=1394135649]
Hi

I purchased a service record from St.Anthony's college a few years back, they charged me only for copying the records about £5.

It was my great grandfather that i was looking for so you should be able to get no problem, you may also want to try and buy a book called A Job Well done which is all about the Palestine Police.

The book is out of print so the copies on e bay or amazon are a bit pricy.
[/quote]