Author Topic: Welsh Emigrants To Patagonia  (Read 22161 times)

Offline mareng

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Emigrants To Patagonia
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 November 14 17:00 GMT (UK) »
G'day William
I have a Hugh Davies in my tree who disappeared after 1871. He was born in Corwen to Thomas and Ruth in 1854. I'm wondering if it's the same person as Hugo Davies married in Chile in 1893. The names of the mother and father are the same but it doesn't give his age.
Regards
Keith Davies

Online wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 November 14 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Well Keith,it may well be that we are talking about the same Hugh.Especially in the light of the posts of Sam Swift!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mareng

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 November 14 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Hugh's father Thomas was my great great grandfather. He disappeared and so did his uncle Stephan somewhere between 1851 and 1861.
K

Offline Ciro Roberto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 23 August 15 20:00 BST (UK) »
I have information about Hugh Davies who lived in Chile since 1889. He emigrated from Chubut in 1889 and settled in Nueva Imperial, south of Chile. Married in 1893 to Elena Jones (widow Watkins) who is my great-great grandmother.

Offline Ciro Roberto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 August 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
I have information about Hugh Davies who lived in Chile since 1889. He emigrated from Chubut in 1889 and settled in Nueva Imperial, south of Chile. Married in 1893 to Elena Jones (widow Watkins) who is my great-great grandmother.

Offline James H Davis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 16:01 BST (UK) »
Watkins, Davis family – English (Welsh) Colony, Nueva Imperial, Chile. In the late 1880’s, due to the shortage of good land in Chubut, a number of Welsh settlers sailed round to Chile and were allocated land at Nueva Imperial. This was known as the English Colony! In 1889 Watkin William Watkins (from Chubut plot 350) died in a farming accident and Widow Watkins of plot 4 (Ellen Jones, my grandmother) married Hugh Davis of plot 2 in 1893. My father Hugh Campo Davis (Jones) was born 1895. The family – Hugh Davis & Ellen (Jones/Watkins/Davis) – children, Robert & Griffith Watkins +  Andes, Elena, Hugh, William, Thomas, Emma Davis,  sold the farm (1910?) and moved North to Sewell near Rancagua to work at the new copper mines. Hugh Campo Davis answered the call for soldiers to join the British army and joined the 1st King Edwards Horse Regiment in 1918, he remained in the UK and died in Chester UK in 1980.  Note - much confusion arises with the Spanish method of surnames, the last name being the maiden name of the mother, the surname being the penultimate name!   

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
James,

Welcome to RootsChat, and may I say what a wonderfully helpful first post you've made too. :)

Brilliant.
Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 13 April 19 16:52 BST (UK) »
I've checked the entire list of passengers that sailed arrived in Buenos Aires on board the Vesta on 17 Jul 1886 and there was a Hugh Davies but aged 24 and an Evan Davies aged 20 and Geo Davies aged 20 all listed together.

Unfortunately the list only stated what country they came  from and on the passenger list everybody from Wales was listed as having been from England!

Sam

Hi Sam, i’ve been looking for a VESTA passenger list for a few months. Is it online or do you have a printed copy?

Many thanks,

Deirdre 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Dierdre

You can do a name search online at https://cemla.com/buscador/

I would just type in the surname in the "Apellido" box and copy the I am not a robot number visible at the bottom of the search box and click "Buscar".

The new website doesn' seem to like first names (Welsh anyway) in the"Nombre" box, so just leave this blank an it wil bring up all those listed under the surname searched.

They may of course have converted the surnme into an equivalent Spanish version or incorrectly transcribed a name. 

I have a printed copy of all the names if you're stuck.

Best Wishes
Sam