Author Topic: COMPLETED Burial place, Colton  (Read 8270 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Burial place, Colton
« on: Monday 13 February 12 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help.

I am trying to establish where my GGGG Grandfather could be buried.

John TITTERINGTON, born Abt 1709 - died 1782 in Bouth, Colton, Lancashire. His burial was 11 March 1782, Bouth, Colton.

His wife Mary COBB, born Abt 1728 - died after 1769.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Burial place, Colton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 12 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what religion he was ,there is a baptist, church at Tottlebank,just above Bouth,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 February 12 19:55 GMT (UK) »

I am afraid I don't know what his religion was. As far as I know, there are no Catholics in the family tree.

So, I am thinking about the church at Tottlebank, if it is just above Bouth.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 12 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Tottlebank is baptist ,but looking at Holy Trinity Colton ,many many generations later you will see the war memorial board within the church has a WH Titterington LR named on it,its a lovely church
so as there  are no records on line for the period you are looking for other than family search org,perhaps if you contact Barrow in Furness archives they would do a look up for you,and then they can confirm your dates ,have you considered contacting someone from the one name study of Titterington,they are very helpfull usualy and may hold some records for your family
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 February 12 20:22 GMT (UK) »
According to www.familysearch.org John was buried at Colton on 11 March 1781.

I took the film number from that site and then put it into the catalogue for the lDS library films (1040301) and that came up with Colton as well as some others.

Also listed as buried at Colton are Jane daughter of John Titterington 26 June 1768 and Jimmy 20 Dec 1769.

The Lancashire Parish Register Society has done transcriptions of Colton.

Gibel

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 February 12 21:11 GMT (UK) »

I did visit Holy Trinity Colton a while ago and searched the churchyard for a headstone but, to no avail. That is not to say he is not buried there.

Yes, it is a lovely church, with lovely surrounding scenery. I also saw the war memorial board with W H Titterington L R. Do you know what LR stands for.

Shall contact Barrow in Furness archives and see if they can help.

I have been in touch with the one name study and have lots of information of my family.

Thank you.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 February 12 21:20 GMT (UK) »
I would  contact Barrow,if I see a certain person I know tomorrow I shall ask him if he has the transcriptions for Colton,he is very good at sharing his books with me,I would go myself to Barrow ,but it is half term and I am working for the next couple of days,if you get no joy I will try and get down to Barrow next week,and look it up myself,
and yes we do have lovely churches and scenery here,so glad you had the chance to visit,

Just a guess it may stand for Lancashire regiment,

I cant see any thing for him ,but there was a Thomas a gardener from Little Dicks,(Greenodd)
father living in Westmorland

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 February 12 21:25 GMT (UK) »

Hi Gibel,

Thanks for John's burial date, the year I have is 1782 and may be wrong.

I have have their daughter Jane deaths 26 June 1768 and Jimmy burial 20 December 1769. He was only 5 months old.

Their mother Mary COBB died after 1769. She was young.

Can anyone access the Lancashire Parish Register Society for transcriptions of Colton.

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 February 12 21:35 GMT (UK) »

That would be great if you see the person and ask if he he has the transcripts.

Shall let you know how I get on with Barrow in Furness archives.

The scenery is awesome. My father was born in Kirby Lonsdale, another beautiful place.