Author Topic: John Scott GOULD, North Curry  (Read 8498 times)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Scott GOULD, North Curry
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
I've emailed some documents - hope they help!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline MissMoppet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 February 16 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I live qtr mile from Moredon in N Curry and am writing another book on this village, in particular The Barretts who were as you know extremely wealthy: Major Barrett who died 1914 left the equivalent of £52 million to just his wife. It would seem that JSG was the main source of funds to the Barrett line as his wife was the last of that generation. There was a serious fire at Moredon in 1832 where he not only offered a reward of £500 to the alleged arsonists but also got The King no less to chip in another £100. Hard to believe that the losses of barns and hay etc could amount to that huge sum in 1832, so another mystery. I have access to nearly 300 wonderful photos of the Barretts toward the end of the Victorian era but none alas captioned though we can make reasonable guesses as to the leading players. Incidentally John Chard VC (Rorke's Drift, film Zulu etc) was a relation. I would be very interested to see any wills or info about JSG and Sophia his wife. Most grateful for any response.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 February 16 18:24 GMT (UK) »
I am from William Parish Barrett, son of Samuel Barrett of Bideford. William inherited a farm from Sophia Scott Gould - I have a transcript of her Will which I can email to you; I think I only have a print-out of the Will itself.
I have a good deal on William P Barrett and his line. William, I think you know, married Mary Hannah Garnsey Meade - another couple of well-established North Curry names there! I also have a wonderfully iffy family tree which I think came from my grandmother Nora Penelope Barrett, William's daughter It would be fascinating to find out whether there's any truth in it. Very happy to share. I think you need to make a couple more posts on RootsChat before it will let you send a message; I will send you one and see if that works.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Jo.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 March 16 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Somerset Heritage have at least 17 documents relating to John Scott Gould, and one concerning his wife.

There's the lease counterpart etc of Morden Estate, various other leases etc dealing with other properties and leases

Documents dates range from 1799 to late 1800's

Hope might help

Offline MissMoppet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 March 16 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks I've found those but none explain how he became so wealthy. Newspaper cuttings (many) give a lavish reward for a fire at Moredon 1836 in which the king enjoined as well. Curious.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 March 16 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Re your question as to why the Family was so wealthy you would have to follow both the Gould and Scott Families back.

Sarah may have inherited also from her Parents JOHN/CATHERINE nee Hooper, married 11 May 1751, St Peter and Paul, North Curry.
Catherine was buried 12 May 1804 St Peter, Ilton.
John it appears was buried same Church 23 Nov 1810.

Another Will which may be worth tracking down.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 March 16 08:32 GMT (UK) »
John Gould's Will is to hand already and is interesting but not all that helpful unfortunately. I've transcribed it and in summary, he left £2000 each to his unmarried daughters; the house and land at Ashford in Ilton to Sarah Gould, his widowed daughter and his grandson John Scott Gould. Robert Hooper Scott was the residuary legatee - by implication, but not listed, there was quite a bit of land involved. Unfortunately we still don't know where the money came from.

Offline MissMoppet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 November 16 17:23 GMT (UK) »
For anyone who is following the Barretts of Moredon at North Curry - reputedly the wealthiest family in Somerset in the late Victorian age - I have just produced a book called Rich Men, poor men of N Curry (164 pp, many plates) that show the family in around 30 photos + many tales or jokes - most of them true - about this Somerset village. £10 + post, any surplus to charity. (Also inc Punch cartoon of John Chard VC - Rorke's Drift, film Zulu - who married into the family.

Offline MissMoppet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Royal Archives Windsor
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 February 17 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Alert readers of this thread will see that there was a serious fire at Moredon in 1836 at which the King no less (William IV) also offered £100 reward to track down the arsonists. (Gould had  received a threatening letter beforehand). I did write to the Royal Archives at Windsor and did receive a gracious reply but regretting that there were few letters from the King remaining and therefore nothing to be found. It still seems odd that Gould who while wealthy and a generous benefactor to many local appeals was nevertheless still a commoner yet was able to gain the ear of the monarch. His name does crop up as a local land commissioner and a funeral notice says he was a kind and much respected man - but that's about it.