Author Topic: Currie  (Read 6138 times)

Offline hovis22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Currie
« on: Wednesday 15 February 12 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi have found a book belongign to my late father who has traced his mothers side of the family back to Robert & Agness currie 1861 living in Tobago st calton glasgow with 5 children the 4th child Alexander currie goes on to to marry Pollock Gait of stevenson street, they stay in glasgow til 1880 when Pollock has died aged 26 from scarlet fever, they have 1 son Robert Currie, alexander now a widow moves to clay st pendleton Salford with a daughter Agness Ross Currie and Roberts, by 1884 alexander has married Fanny victorine Bartlette who was born in pimlico london in 1856  they move to lincoln street barton upon irwell by 1891 census with robert percy and alexander whilst Agness Ross gurrie ia a servant at Royal cambrian academy conwy wales, she marries my great grandfather Sam jones a butcher and has my grandmother Elizabeth Jane grinall Jones in 1902.
if anyone knows anymor about the currie family i would love to find out.

Offline Blanched

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Currie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I've got Robert & Agnes in my tree. Agnes was my ggg aunt. She & Robert married in Eaglesham, Renfrewshire on 13 April 1832. They had 9 children - John b. 1833, Agnes b. 1836 d. in infancy, Agnes b. 1837, Robert b. 1840, Elizabeth b. 1842 d. in infancy, Mary b. 1845, Alexander b. 1849, Jean b. 1850 d. in infancy & James b. 1854. Robert died in 1870 & Agnes in 1869. I seem to be the only person researching this branch of the family.

Robert was the son of John Currie & Elizabeth Fulton who married in Eaglesham on 6 Nov 1803. Robert was the second child and oldest son of their 10 children. There are a number of people researching John & Elizabeth's family. John was a publican. He was born Eaglesham about 1782 & died in 1854 (maddeningly just before  statutory registration started in Scotland in 1855). Elizabeth was born about 1785, probably in Eaglesham or the area, & died about 1828. John then married Ann Crawford in Loudon, Ayrshire on 30 Jan 1830. They had no children (Ann was 48 when they married!) and she died in 1867.

If you want any more info, do contact me.

Blanche

Offline hovis22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 February 12 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this there seems to be mention of Robert Currie , john Currie and Elizabeth Fulton in this book which i have found but no dates, there is also Alexander Ross and Agnes Taylor together but again no date, I can alos see that my late father has found that Agnes Ross was born in Loachwinnoch ( I don't know Scotland so I am only typing what I can see in the book!!) I think it it is the son Alexander b1849 in Calton who is my link , who marries Pollock Galt in 1870 they live in Glasgow and she dies aged 26 from Scarlet fevet in 1874, he must then move to Salford and marriesagain in 1884 to Fanny Victorine bartlette , there are then 3 children but i am not sure who their mother is Robert 1872, Percy 1875 and Alexander 1885, Fanny dies aged 42 in 1898 and  Agness Ross Currie appears in Conwy N wales as a servant as Plas Mawr  Royal Cambrian Academy for Art, whilst Alexander cyrrie and the 3 children are in Barton upon Irwel eccles manchester, in 1896 Agness Ross Currie marries local Butcher Samuel Jones and live in llewelyn Street conwy and my grandmother Elizabeth Jane Grinnal Jones in born in 1902, Robert is in Pendleton, Alexander i salso in Conwy a servant with a draper and percy Bartlette Currie is married and lives in pendleton all in 1901 census.so I think Robert and Agnes Currie are my great, great, great , great grandparents

Offline Blanched

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 12 22:24 GMT (UK) »
I've got quite a bit about both the Currie & Galt families as well as my own Ross's. You've got Alexander right. He & Pollock had Agnes & Robert, who both moved with him to Salford. Then he married Fanny Victorine (wonderful name!) who already had Percy. Presumably Alexander adopted him as he takes the name Currie. Fanny & Alexander then have another Alexander (he's with them in the 1891 census as born in Blackburn in 1885) but I think he must have died as there's no further trace of him.

Robert marries a Sarah Ann Cartwright in 1903 & they have 2 children. Robert died in 1952 & Sarah in 1940. Percy, who died in 1954 also marries, Martha Annie Taylor (d. 1961), & they had 3 children, 2 of whom died in childhood.

If you want to pm me with your email address I can let you have a look at my tree on A******y. If you don't have a sub there is a limit to what you can actually look at if I remember rightly. But it'll give you a start & I can transfer the information to a GEDCOM if you've got a family tree prog on your computer or let you have a genealogy report if not.

You probably don't know that one of Pollock's sisters married one of Alexander's brothers so there's a double link between the families!

Regards, B

Offline alan66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 May 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi B;anched

I am descended from John Currie and Elizabeth Fulton via their daughter Catherine. Do you have a lot of info on the Currie's?

regards

A

Offline marcellas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Blanche are you still out there?

I thought I descended from John Currie and Elizabeth Fulton ...however my DNA is matching four descendents of Robert Currie and Elizabeth Fulton three of whose descendents went to Australia......do you (or anyone) know how Robert and John Currie are related?  Are they both sons of Robert Currie and Jean Hamilton?   Help:) thanks Marcellash

Offline Blanched

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 February 19 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marcellas. I'm still here. I'm fairly sure that John & Robert were brothers & sons of Robert & Jean Hamilton. As I mentioned before John died in 1854, just before statutory registration started, so we don't have a death certificate. However both families seem to have followed the Scottish naming pattern so I think we're right.

Regards, Blanche

Offline marcellas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 February 19 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Morning Blanche
Thank you for getting back to me ...my DNA results are definitely showing matches with Robert biology albeit distant so that seems OK but none of his daughter Jean/Jane is not old enough by a good 5 years to be my Jean Currie
I am happy to go with Robert and John as siblings however the fact that they both married an 'Elizabeth Fulton' bothers me a little ...there are two Elizabeth Fultons of the appropriate ages but it still seems weird to me
Do you have a tree out there anywhere that you are able to share?  The ones I can find either stop at Robert or John (not so many of John actually)  - I wish I could find a DNA match with one of John's descendents but they are MIA as usual:)  Thanks Marcella

Offline Blanched

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marcellas. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, been having treatment on a problem knee. I do have a tree on A**y is you have a sub there. Or if you have a FT programme I can send you a GEDCOM file of John's tree.