Author Topic: How do I know which is the right marriage?  (Read 3983 times)

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
Re: How do I know which is the right marriage?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 February 12 12:46 GMT (UK) »
I've come across some quite prosperous curriers so it may be worthwhile looking at Wills,also the particular family I was looking at tended to marry within the trade of curriers/leather dealers, probably because they knew the families from business dealings  :-\

Hmm, it looks as if Thomas was an insolvent debtor by 1831 according to the London Gazette.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 February 12 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ermy and johnxyz for giving me the benefit of your experience. Some of those tips I wouldn't have thought of and I'll certainly consider them in my search for this particular piece in my jigsaw.

Thanks Galium for what is obviously a great deal of time and effort you've put into this. I'm still not sure which of those marriages is the right one but you've provided me with a lot of detail which I can now build on.

And thanks angelfish58 for the information that Thomas may have been an insolvent debtor. Up to now my family have been quite boring but at long last I might have discoverd a skeleton in the cupboard. Yippee!!!

Jim
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 February 12 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delay - I've only just got back to this thread.

Given those dates for the children, I'd focus on the second and third marriages, and the first and third sets of children. It's probable Foundry Lane is Ann McCormack, though if other parts of the puzzle don't fall into place that is an assumption I'd then re-visit.

There are gaps from marriage date to first christening for both the other 2 and I don't think there's anything that is a definite discrimator.

My nest step would be parish records, to see if perchance they give groom's occupation. Given the marriage to christening gaps, I'd double check for any children buried without a baptism.

I'd also look to see if any of the younger children are still with their parents in the 1841 census. Then if any parents are found, follow through into 1851 & possibly 1861 to check parents ages. Those would be useful if / when you eventually track christenings for the various Anns. Don't forget 1841 may well have rounded ages down to a multiple of 5. 

It's all about building up a picture with as much information as possible. Part of the fun is cracking puzzles like this - good luck with it.

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 February 12 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again johnxyz for giving me (and others) the benefit of your obvious experience. Like you say, the fun is in cracking the puzzle. If it was as easy as is made out on "Who do you think you are" it really wouldn't be as enjoyable. There they find what they want in a couple of clicks and in no time at all they've gone back 400 years! I do enjoy the programme and I'm sure it's got many 1000s of people interested in this fascinating hobby, but many probably give up when they find it isn't really as easy as the BBC try to make you think. Right, must get back to those parish registers and census returns!  ::)

Jim
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright

Offline byker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 April 14 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim,

My 3 x gt grandmother was Martha Smith, born abt 1816 in Warrington. She married in Liverpool in 1837 to George Cowan.
Martha was baptized 16 Feb 1815 St Elphin, Warrington, daughter of William and Mary Smith, abode Bank Quay, William's occupation Ship Carpenter.

William and Mary had a son James baptized in 1816.

I am also having a problem with the marriage of my Martha's parents.

I can only find one marriage in Warrington that would fit - William Smith - Mary Pilling in 1810, witnesses Phebe Tabener, Thomas Smith and Ireland Arrowsmith

I think I have found William and Mary Smith in the 1841 census living Hood Lane, Prescot, Lancashire. William is 46 Ship Carpenter his wife Mary is 45 and also in household is Hannah Cowen aged 3.

Martha Smith and George Cowan had a daughter Ann born in 1838 in Liverpool, but by 1841 they were living in Whitehaven, Cumberland but Ann is not listed in household.

I thought I would post my info. You never know the Thomas Smith witness to William's marriage could be your Martha's father?

Denise :)
Bye - Suffolk, Durham, Northumberland
Currie - Cumberland & Northumberland
Stewart - Durham (Isaac Stewart)
Francis - Ireland & Durham
Falla - Northumberland (Selby Falla)
Smith - Aberdeenshire (Erskine Smith)
Gardner - Ireland (Singleton Gardner)

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim,

My 3 x gt grandmother was Martha Smith, born abt 1816 in Warrington. She married in Liverpool in 1837 to George Cowan.
Martha was baptized 16 Feb 1815 St Elphin, Warrington, daughter of William and Mary Smith, abode Bank Quay, William's occupation Ship Carpenter.

William and Mary had a son James baptized in 1816.

I am also having a problem with the marriage of my Martha's parents.

I can only find one marriage in Warrington that would fit - William Smith - Mary Pilling in 1810, witnesses Phebe Tabener, Thomas Smith and Ireland Arrowsmith

I think I have found William and Mary Smith in the 1841 census living Hood Lane, Prescot, Lancashire. William is 46 Ship Carpenter his wife Mary is 45 and also in household is Hannah Cowen aged 3.

Martha Smith and George Cowan had a daughter Ann born in 1838 in Liverpool, but by 1841 they were living in Whitehaven, Cumberland but Ann is not listed in household.

I thought I would post my info. You never know the Thomas Smith witness to William's marriage could be your Martha's father?

Denise :)

Many thanks for taking the time to post that information and apologies for not responding sooner. I have my doubts as to whether the Thomas Smith you mention is indeed the father of my GG-Grandmother Martha as the other details you give don't quite fit in with what I already know. However, I will file the information for future reference because it's only when one has several pieces of a jigsaw that a picture starts to take shape. Thanks again your reply Denise and good luck with your research.

Jim