Author Topic: Milnamow of Templemichael and Killcomic Parish  (Read 12793 times)

Offline demartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Milnamow of Templemichael and Killcomic Parish
« on: Friday 17 February 12 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Fist time Poster:  This is a very rare surname the variations on the spelling are many Millnamow, Milnamoe, Milname... to name a few.  What I'm specifically looking for a this time is:  Baptisms of other children born to Patrick Milnamow and Ann Hopkins they were married in Longford Parish on May 20, 1814.  I have Thomas b. November 12, 1815, John b. July 17, 1814 & Rachel Milnamow b. March 23, 1845.  Need Baptisms on Bernard and Patrick Milnamow.  Probable birth between 1815-1820 in Longford Parish.  From records in Philadelphia I find a Bridget Milnamow, also listed as sister to Rachel Milnamow, she was b. 1840 according to census of 1850, Philadelphia, PA.

Daniel

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Milnamow of Templemichael and Killcomic Parish
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 12 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Were these baptisms Catholic or Church of Ireland ?

I presume 'Longford Parish' refers to the town - the RC parish for this is Templemichael, same name for the CofI parish

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 February 12 19:02 GMT (UK) »
I dont see references to other parish mentioned 'Killcomic' - maybe the RC parish of Kilcomoge, which covers the civil parish named Kilcommock ?

This is located immediately south of Templemichael/Longford town, but the RC parish records only go back to 1859

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline demartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 February 12 19:41 GMT (UK) »
The records are RC :  The records I assume Templemichael, diocese of Ardagh in Longford & Templemichael & Bally McCormick, County Longford.  The Kilcommic Parish is actually from the TAB referring to Derryoghil, my apologies for this mishap.  Thank you for the quick reply.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 February 12 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Didi you locate these baptisms on RootsIreland or an LDS film ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline demartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 February 12 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Originally I located the records at Longford Roots Centre in 2000 while in Longford.  I have quite a few records from that time frame but not all  I note that LDS has records, but I thought it ironic that they had records inclusive of 1802-1829 for baptisms for Temple Michael and Bally McCormick.  I was of the opinion that the records were much later of record.  I worked with Jimmy Lennon, David Leahy and Pauline Flood at the Longford Centre for most of my information.  I do have a site which I haven't supported for sometime of "Our Irish Genealogy" Milnamow & McCormick which has maps which are expandable into the townlands and also a database of the McCormick movement between 1854 and the 1901 census, as well as baptisms and marriages. Just looking to get a better handle on the Milnamows to fill in the gaps in the tree in this county between the group that settled in PA and the group that settled in Kane/DeKalb County, IL. 
Thank you for your help.

Daniel

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 February 12 09:58 GMT (UK) »
There's a map of the various RC parishes for Co. Longford on the Irish Times ancestors website that might  be of interest ... you can click on each parish to check dates available and record locations, and also follow the various civil parishes and townland included in each.

see : RC Parishes, Co. Longford

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline demartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 February 12 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Perused the site that you have given me.  Wow!, things have really changed since 2000, very informative.  What a wonderful resource.  Thank you.  It looks like I'm going to have do some more grunt work to uncover the information that I need. 

Daniel

Offline demartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 February 12 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Interesting I went to the site mentioned and had no luck with entering any variation on the Milnamows... It seems that I've reluctantly come to em-pass.  As the records are either local to Longford Centre or I'm stuck with finding someone to research the records in Dublin.  I have a site at http://dbase.com/danielatplay  which has some pictures that Jimmy Lennon had taken many years ago, which has helped, however, I need to specifically get it narrowed down. What do you suggest would be the best route to pursue?

Daniel