Author Topic: Joseph Samuel Pickard  (Read 4380 times)

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Samuel Pickard
« on: Saturday 18 February 12 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for anything on him. He is cited in a marriage certificate of 1866, St. Johns, Lambeth, as the father of Elizabeth Pickard and an omnibus owner. Yet, he appears not no records I have searched. Any clues?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Samuel Pickard
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 February 12 22:24 GMT (UK) »
I noticed that Ancestry had the marriage registration, but transcribed as Rickard. Following her up with her husband I see she gives herself as b Fulham c1846

On 1851 there is an Elizabeth Richard in aged 6 the Fulham workhouse - image looks very like Pickard to me

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 February 12 22:29 GMT (UK) »
1861 - an Elizabeth Rokhard aged 15 b Fulham, neice of William Hare, licenced victualler b Carterton, Rutland and Lucy, b stanley, Warwickshire. Both are 45

They're  in Kingston on Thames, where Elizabeth and her husband are living in 1871

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 February 12 22:45 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can work out, William's wife was a Lucy Harris, married in 1858

As yet haven't found a Hare or Harris marriage to a Pickard. I'm guessing one or both parent had died before 1851 for Elizabeth to be in an orphange

I have I think found William in London in 1871 -his place of birth is somewhat variable. 1851 has Easterton, Northants. 1871 possible is b Bedfordshire. He is a cabdriver and has children who are not around on 1861 and predating his marriage to Lucy)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 February 12 22:54 GMT (UK) »
have aso spotted a John Pickard 12 and Joseph Pickard 11 also in the Fulham  workhouse in 1851. There;s a family of Elizabeth (30) with Sarah 4, John 3 ad Samuel 1 in Fulham on 1841 - wonder if Joseph and Samuel are the same person?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 February 12 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Spotted that John ends up in Norfolk, then spotted an Albert Pickard b Fulham c1848 also in Norfolk, listed as son of Samuel and Elizabeth Wilson. She is born around 1808 in Stoneleigh, warwickshire  - could this be where Stanley, birthplace of young Elizabeth's aunt Lucy, comes from?

Haven't found a marriage to Samuel Wilson yet, or Albert's birth, but can see that there was a Joseph Samuel Pickard b 1840 in the Kensington area

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mabel Bagshawe/Pickard
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 February 12 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your kind searching of JS Pickard. Un- fortunately little of your citations seem to fit in. Elizabeth Pickard was my great grandmother. She has no birth registration but claimed Fulham 1846-48. She is in the 1851 Islington census with a mother of the same name. No males evident. You are right, she lived in Kingston in 1871, now as E. Wickens. Perhaps she was E. Rokhard, 15 Fulham in 1861. I'll check it out. On her 1866 marriage certificate she cites Joseph Samuel Pickard, omnibus owner, as her father. This guy is no where to be found so far. Names like it seem not to fit in by age or area, etc. Who is he? In 1866 he must have been + or -  age 40.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 February 12 10:26 GMT (UK) »
If that is her aged 3 in the 1851 census in Islington
It gives her birth as Islington and her mother Elizabeth Pickard gives herself as widow
Her grandmother Charlotte Baldwin is with them

Elizabeth Baldwin born 11/6/1829 bapt St.Leonards 2/7/1829 parents Charlotte & Anthony Milkman Nelson Street

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pickard/Jennifer
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 February 12 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Jennifer. It looks valid enough. I've come across 1829 before, but that would make #1 Elizabeth about 22 in 1851, not 25 as she stated.
Eliz #2 aways cited her birth as Fulham in 1847, once 46. Where was this baptism of Eliz #1 [b. 1929]? She was born in Stepany [East London]. Is St. Leonard in Fulham, Stepany, Islington?
That address you gave is picturesque. Where is that?
I still wonder about #1 as a widow and #2 as illegitimate. Can an illegitimate be baptised in this age?