Author Topic: McGinley  (Read 5199 times)

Offline Hatchetman61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGinley
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am indeed Jim Smallwoods son, Andrew.
I had bother identifying the mcginley line beyond my great grandfather as census records showed born in londonderry but couldn't find birth.
I know of many of the lines from my granny's siblings but haven't been in contact with anyone.
Any details would be much appreciated.

Offline Miss GDT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew.. Mum will have a chat with Esedale, she lived in Bond Street as a child with Ellen and John Mcginley so she remembers quite a bit.
I think they will only be able to give you information on as far back as that..
Mum remembers all her cousins and her fathers brothers and sisters well.
I keep in touch with a few, of the Mcginley family line of today..
What information were you looking and I'll try jog Mums memory.

Offline Hatchetman61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I had my granny's brother and sisters -
John James (born and died in 1899)
Kathleen (Born Apr 1900) married a Thomas Moore with family, Evelyn (married Angus Mackie) Florence (married Hugh Walker) Hazel (married Jim Ritchie) and Uel (married Deirdre Norris)
Ellen (Born Mar 1901) - is this the Nellie you mention with a son Harold?
Florence (Born Jan 1903) married a Thomas Wray with family Adrian, Marion and Norma (knew them as they lived in Belfast)
Herbert (Born Nov 1904) married a Mary Leith with daughter Eleanor - your mother?
Jack (born Sept 1906)
Evelyn (Born July 1908) married James Kinkaid with family Andrew Kinkaid - I didn't know about a Lesley!
Norman (Born Aug 1910) married Matilda Bond with family Mervyn, Norma, Raymond and Wesley
Doris - my gran
Harold - born 1918
Olive (Born Feb 1920) married William Craig with family Esdale, Alan and Lorraine.

Their parents were John James McGinley and Ellen McMullin and her parents were James McMullin & Catherine McComb.

It's John James McGinley I get stuck at as I cannot find a birth and on the census he says he's from Londonderry and the only births appear to be in Donegal.  His father was John according to the marriage certificate but that's all I have. 
I have found another John McGinley married a Margaret Taylor, and I have an Ellen McGinley who was also in Bonds Street and may be a sister of my great grandfather, but don't know for sure.

I do not know if this is 100% correct and any corrections or additions would be great, along with any info on John James McGinley's parents, where he was from etc.

Andy

Offline Miss GDT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 17:44 GMT (UK) »
That's as far as Mum can remember.
Shes remember's going to visit her Grandfather's brother in Magilligan, but I'll ask Lesley in America and see what she can remember...
Your list of the family is brilliant.
Florrie  Wrays children were
Ethel, Norma, Reggie,Marion and Adrain.
 Reggie lived in Jersey and Ethel moved to America.
Evelyn Kinkaid had 3 children.
Andrew,Lesley and Derek.
Lesley lives in America and Derek still lives in the Waterside.
Harold McGinley another sibling changed his name to McKinley and moved to Scotland. He married a girl called Jean.
Nellie Diamond ,Mum says she always knew her as Nellie had a few children.
Harold,Jim,Jackie,Harry,Danny,Nellie ,Meta Kathleen,Olive.
Danny,Olive and Kathleen all moved to England.
Meta was about 16 or 17 when she passed away.
Kathleen Moore  had,
Evelyn, Florence, Hazel,Uel and Norman.
 Norman moved to south Africa.
Herbert and Mary McGinley had.:
Evelyn, Eleanor and Jack.
 Evelyn passed away quite young.
If I get any more info I'll let you know. Since all grandparents the family tree is forever growing and we are all over the world now.

Offline Hatchetman61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 March 17 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, a few extra names there. So your mum woul dbe a cousin of my fathers.  I remember as a wein visitng folks when he would have gone fishing (and I stayed with granny in Alfred St back then).  We would have gone to Evelyn and Angus Mackie's and I remember Kinkaids and Esdale Craig, who would have been a bit younger than my dad.  We spent a lot of time with Hazel Ritchie and indeed the last time I met a lot of people would have been her funeral.
We visited so many people back then and I do not remember many of them.  I remember visiting out in Newbuildings and have no idea.  I also remember visiting more out into the country and a row of three or four houses sitting back from a main road, but no idea who or where.
My dad had prepared with me and my brother a rough tree, but this went missing after he died, but in any case was mainly Smallwoods, which was smaller as my grandfather was an only child.
I now live in Fermanagh and have no contact with anyone from the McGinley side.  Recently caught up with Adrian Wray's son, Darren, but he knows very little of the McGinley family.  We used to visit Florrie a lot in Ballysillan when my dad would have looked after her garden.  Also remember her being forced out of Atlantic Ave in Nelfast at the start of the troubles.
Would love to meet up with some of the McGinley's some time soon.
Andy

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 March 17 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Miss GDT: If you are talking to Lesley would you kindly let him know that I would like to chat with her.    I had where she lived in Ontario but don't know where she is now.  Just send me word by private chat on how to contact Lesley.

The Knobbs connection here is interesting as Robert Knobbs of Kildoag, Lower Cumber married Elizabeth Kincaid (Kinkaid, Kinkead, Kincade, etc.) in the early 1800s.
Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 March 17 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Folks, just a friendly reminder that Rootschat have a sensible policy that requires users posting on threads not to give out personal, identifying details of themselves, or details of others who are or may be living, as the boards are open for anyone to read.

Always best to keep mention of personal details of yourself, or others still/potentially still living, private by using Rootschat's PM system instead.

:)
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 March 17 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Looking at your John James McGinley's marriage record, I can't quite make out his dad's occupation, but wondered if it might be to do with the Army. Did you figure it out? Also, John gives his address as 16 Bonds Street at time of marriage.

Now, the house numbers on census aren't always accurate, but, if you look at house 16 in 1901, there is a McGinley family (and a boarder who is a Compositor - same job as your John James) with a widowed Margaret as head. One of the children is an Alfred. Looking at Alfred's birth certificate, his dad was a John McGinley, soldier. Margaret's maiden name was Taylor.

Whilst it could be a red herring, I think it is worth looking more closely into this family group, as potentially, they could be your John's family, albeit depending on how accurate Margaret's age is at 1901, as she is only showing as 38, and how accurate your John's is. Even if not his mother, there may be some link with John (for example, step mum). There is an adult male, James McGinley, born County Tyrone, also boarding in the household.

Edit: I've just realised from reading back on thread again, that you have probably already considered the above.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 March 17 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Could the occupation say 'Trumpeter,  (Personnel?), Staff RA?

I've found a partial service record for a John McGinley, apparently born Glendermott Parish but living Clooney Parish, Waterside, Londonderry, who was about 26yrs old in 1874/76 (?), a bugler, and married. Occupation a musician, and had served on staff of Londonderry Militia since 1866. Record notes Trumpeter McGinley died at Londonderry on what looks to read 9/10/98. Note is signed by a chap who was a Captain, RA, Adjt. L'Derry Artillery.

In 1889, a 13yr old John McGinley (so born 1876) of Clooney Parish, also enlisted in the Militia. He was discharged by purchase in 1894. Of importance to my earlier suggestion in previous post, is that his address was listed later in record as Workhouse Road. Alfred McGinley's birth address was also Workhouse Road.